Montana mule deer Expectations.

QDMA (now NDA) and their principles are also a big part of why hunters in my part of "back east" have the kind of hunting we do, as compared to what we had in the 90s or before.
That is not true, not even close! Please provide factual data to support your claims.

Improved Farming practices
CRP
Timbering
Hedge row management
Biologists
Doe Tag allocations

All of those things happen and benefited wildlife way more than QDMA ever did.

That is not true, not even close! Please provide factual data to support your claims.

CRP
Timbering
Hedge row management
Biologists
Doe Tag allocations

I think he was referring to age structure.

Thanks for posting that. I would have missed my guess on Resident A tags since 1995. 1995 A tags were 160,254 (16,510+117,967+25,777), compared to Resident A tags in 2021 of 159,816.

Montana's population was 868,522 in 1995, compared to a 2021 estimate of 1,104,271. That's 235,749 new residents, but a drop in Resident Deer A tags of 438. No way I would have guessed that.

I wonder if it is safe to assume that most the Resident B tag holders also had an A tag? That is my assumption, but I could be wrong.

I’d like to know what the % of muley bucks killed by residents and non residents alike is in the eastern 1/3 of the state.

I wonder if it is safe to assume that most the Resident B tag holders also had an A tag? That is my assumption, but I could be wrong.
I had the same thought, also you can get more than one. Another thing to consider is the percentage of the guys buying combo tags that don't hunt deer, but just by the tag just in case, type deal. Up here, the number of tags purchased vs actual hunt runs about 30-35% more than hunted each year. Basically 65-70% of tags purchased are actually hunted, that includes draw tags and OTC tags, pretty much across the board, sheep to moose, to bison. People like the thought of drawing more than forking out the cash to hunt it. I imagine the actual number of deer hunters in MT is maybe 20-25% less than listed. Not that it really matters if we're just comparing year to year.

I'm not surprised that the total remained the same more or less. I know very, very few younger people that hunt. I'll bet the average age on this site is 45+

Last edited:
Im not sure. I can poke the guy at the fwp again and ask. He seems like a really good guy, I enjoyed my chat with him.
That would be really interesting. Appreciate the info by the way. mtmuley
Thanks for posting this up. I have been really interested in trying to find these numbers myself. Were these posted online or emailed to you?

CRP
Timbering
Hedge row management
Biologists
Doe Tag allocations

Please note I said "a big part of" and not "the sole reason for"

Thanks for posting this up. I have been really interested in trying to find these numbers myself. Were these posted online or emailed to you?
Just FOIA that stuff. They have a ton of data. You just have to fill out a form. It’s a state agency so it’s YOUR data. Usually takes them weeks to get around to it, but it’s a fun game in the off-season.

Just FOIA that stuff. They have a ton of data. You just have to fill out a form. It’s a state agency so it’s YOUR data. Usually takes them weeks to get around to it, but it’s a fun game in the off-season.
That's an option. I'd recommend calling first. Fulfilling public info requests, or a FOIA (federal), is usually a last resort.

It would be interesting in how many days and where those hunters are hunting. I wonder if we’ve congregated a lot of deer hunters to the last strongholds of Montana mule deer?
Formally known as timmy. This is a great comment. Would like to hear some feed back from big fin and Gerald Martin. You can claim you didn’t harvest mule deer but did it matter? And I agree it comes down to management. 😉

That's an option. I'd recommend calling first. Fulfilling public info requests, or a FOIA (federal), is usually a last resort.
Agree. Just saying they usually ask you to fill out a form, probably so they can keep track of requests. If they track something, they should share it. Mostly it is a matter of how busy they are, who you are, and what you are doing with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back