Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana mule deer Expectations.

mtmuley

There has been a lot of talk here about mule deer and the management of them. So what is the expectation you have when hunting mule deer in Montana? mtmuley

My flat bill, bun, and Creedmoor will go to broadus and kill a 190” 4 point on the gram.

But, I would settle for a few years without a rut hunt to make it worth coming back there to hunt. Beautiful country but was crap for what deer hunting I did. I just shot a doe and called it a day.

I expect to beat my balls off the wall over and over and over…long hikes…eyeballs bleeding from glassing…my wife threatening divorce unless I come home until finally ….as if it was scripted…I shoot a whitetail

There has been a lot of talk here about mule deer and the management of them. So what is the expectation you have when hunting mule deer in Montana? mtmuley
Are you asking current expectations? Or expectations of what people would like?

Current expectations: hopefully harvesting a 4-5 year old 150” mule deer on public land once every 5-7 years. I have seen 3 of these bucks since 2016, no shot opportunities.

What I’d like: more 4+ year old mule deer bucks on the landscape. Even if the seasons were greatly changed or limited entry/drawing and I didn’t have a tag I would be happier at least seeing them.

Sort of related: eliminating game damage hunts that are being implemented on mule deer for feeding on unprotected hay. If it’s illegal for a hunter to bait, how is it ok for a rancher to store such a prime food source unprotected (bait) and then proceed to get assistance from the state to shoot them in February? Because 11 week season with 5 week of rifle just ain’t enough.

Just frustrated, my dog rolled in a gut pile today, deer had to have been shot yesterday. I didn’t even know they were shooting deer this time of year until I looked it up. Less than 200 yards from the hay stack.

Last edited:
based on what I read from this forum, if I ever did get a Montana deer tag I know I wouldn't waste a minute looking for mule deer unless I was going to be happy shooting a forkie/3x3. I know for sure I would be focusing hard on river bottoms in search of some monster whitetails that I know you Montana residents look down on :)

An older age class of bucks. Not a pickup box full of mule deer does. Haven’t seen a buck that’s raised my heart rate in Montana going on 13 years now. Now if I go 10 miles East over the North Dakota border I get to see a few every year that make me need to roll my tongue back up.

my expectation is to glass up a 170in buck, while sorting thru various other age class of bucks,,,and not see a mirror used as a rifle rest

I guess I don’t understand what’s got everybody so upset about not seeing giant bucks around every corner.

Should you be able to expect to see a 180 every time you go out? Giant bucks get killed in Montana every year on public land with over the counter tags. If your not seeing what you want, dare I say look harder? How often do you see 370” bulls when elk hunting?

I guess I don’t understand what’s got everybody so upset about not seeing giant bucks around every corner.

Should you be able to expect to see a 180 every time you go out? Giant bucks get killed in Montana every year on public land with over the counter tags. If your not seeing what you want, dare I say look harder? How often do you see 370” bulls when elk hunting?

What do you consider a giant? I’m betting it’s only a handful at most over 180 killed a year on public. That’s not saying much when there’s over 136,000 resident hunters. I bet there’s more 370” elk killed in Montana a year than there is 180” mule deer. And the amount of deer hunters to elk hunters isn’t even close. Though I’d compare a 180” deer to a 350” bull. But that’s just me

Last edited:
Back