Montana fee increase?

the nikster

While hunting in Montana this year, many of those I came into contact with were concerned that Montana is going to increase non-resident fees substantially next year.
They attribute this to lost revenue due the loss of guaranteed outitter licenses. None of the people I spoke to had any 1st hand knowledge. Most seemed to be applying the worst case scenario(for them).
Q. Is Montana intending a massive increase?
Q. If so, How much has been proposed?
Q. Is the reason as stated above?
Q. What are other options?

I love my yearly trip to Montana and will be sad to end these trips if the commision prices me out of the market.

Only thing I am aware of regarding any fee increase is a result of the I-161 passage (eliminating gov't guaranteed clients for outfitters...) 2011 proposed fee's:

http://www.windedbowhunter.com/resources/2010/11/30/fwp-seeks-comment-on-nonresident-license-rule/
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is seeking comment on the proposed 2011 nonresident combination hunting license annual rule.

With the recent voter approved ballot Initiative 161, which eliminated guaranteed big game hunting licenses for nonresidents who hunt with outfitters and increased the cost of some licenses, the new law affects FWP’s annual rule for the sale of nonresident combination hunting licenses.

The proposed rule, approved by the FWP Commission today, includes the new license fees set by the passage of I-161 and includes the required $5 drawing fee and $10 hunting access enhancement fee. Since the prices are set by law with the passage of I-161, the FWP Commission is not seeking public comment on the following license fees:
•$912 for the Class B-10 Nonresident Big Game Combination License
•$542 for the Class B-11 Nonresident Deer Combination License
•$458.50 for the Nonresident Youth Big Game Combination licenses
The commission, however, has the authority to set the fee for the Nonresident Elk Combination License and is seeking comment on the following:

•$812 B-10 for the Nonresident Elk Combination License
The price includes the required $5 drawing fee and $10 hunting access enhancement fee. Montana’s nonresident combo licenses include a conservation, fishing, and upland bird license. The proposed annual rule for 2011 sale of nonresident combination licenses is available for review on the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov . Comments are due by Dec. 3. Send email to [email protected] , or via post mail to: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, Licensing Division, P.O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701

Last edited:
A: The increase already occured, on election day, via I-161. It has been discussed, ad nauseum, on here and other hunting forums.

A: The combo is going up to just under 1K and the deer is somewhere around $500.

A: And yes, it is because of the abolition of outfitter-sponsored licenses.

A: And no, your only option is not to hunt MT...

p.s. if a few hundred bucks suddenly puts your Montana trip out of financial reach, then you were probably skating on thin ice anyway. Many Montanans voted against I-161, not because we give a rat's butt about the outfitters, but because of the license increase. Not ALL montanans are against NR hunters...

sorry bud!

I did not mean to open a wound! At least you're not bitter.:D
I've not had the time to follow each post these last couple of months. I did a quick search but found nothing (wrong forum/wrong key words etc.)
I thank you both for the replies. They were both helpful.
Somewhere between hunting a deer in Idaho for under $100 and a $14,000 red stag hunt in New Zealand I reach a limit at which I can convince my wife that the adventure is worth the expense. Every increase eases closer to this barrier. I also have in the past paid for persons other than myself to go on these adventures with me. A substantial increase might make me look at other options. That said, an additional $200 for a deer permit is not a deal-breaker.
I am glad that all are not haters. Many of us hunt out of state. I do however have a dark spot saved for U-tards!:hump:

I am glad that all are not haters. Many of us hunt out of state. I do however have a dark spot saved for U-tards!:hump:

They should really quit posting over on monstermuleys. Each time I go over there and read through topics on the mule deer forum, I have a little less respect for them. Then again, I laugh everytime too, so I guess Utards are good for something.

Nikster- I agree with you on the price jumping dramatically and how it affects out of state decisions on hunting. I was really looking foward to applying in MT for this next year.

Might have to wait it out for another year, cause I would really like to deer hunt in Nov. I try looking at it from a percentage standpoint v the straight up $ amount.

Q: Is there a way to apply and just get a bonus point?
Q: If I don't apply next year do I lose my bonus points?
Q: How many years do I need to NOT apply in order to lose my bonus points?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but why is it that so many people come on these hunting websites and ask a bunch of questions that are easily answered if they would just log on to the friggin state G&F websites they are interested in and READ!!! I realize that some questions need to be asked when a person is a newbie to western hunting, but an awful lot of the things I see are simple if they just took a few minutes and did some research instead of figuring that it's easier to just ask somebody else! Regarding the ever increasing fees everywhere, the way I figure it is that you have to pay to play and if you are a dedicated hunter you will come up with the money. I'm 63, retired and on a fixed income, so I go out and cut grass in the summer and blow snow in the winter and that money is strictly dedicated for my trips to ND for birds and Wyoming for big game every year. It also keeps me in shape year around for the hunting I do!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back