Montana Decoy

dustyhunter

Any one have any experience with the Montana Decoy "Cow Elk" where one worked better than another while hunting? I just bought the Miss September but I am thinking about getting a companion to set up along side.

Click on the video tab at the top of the page and checkout some of the teasers.

If you watch the season one DVD, you will see the cow decoy successfully used in multiple episodes.

In season one, episode 11 we used the cow decoy extensively and it helped us get 50-60 yards from descent mulies on multiple occasions.

The cow decoy works best if there a lots of cattle around and you don't want to go straight at game with the decoy. Move slow and try to intercept your prey.

Last edited:
I never leave home without my Montana decoys. I use the cow elk decoy a lot. It was there first one, not sure which name or number it is.

Any of the elk decoys will work. The goal is to have the silhouette decoy there to take attention off you when the bull comes in, and these are very good at that.

On the note of Montana Decoy... a decoy carrier? Would someone elaborate on the practical use of a "carrier"? If I am not mistaken, it's an additional $20 for this "decoy carrier". I assume there is something to this beyond my normal decoy use, I was looking at the Elk III, however, before making a purchase, my current decoy simply has generic elastic type strap(s) that keep it contained.

Is this more a type of "add on purchase" for those not understanding the simplicity of carrying a decoy or is there a $20 value to this carrier? Anyone have a pic?

On the note of Montana Decoy... a decoy carrier? Would someone elaborate on the practical use of a "carrier"? If I am not mistaken, it's an additional $20 for this "decoy carrier". I assume there is something to this beyond my normal decoy use, I was looking at the Elk III, however, before making a purchase, my current decoy simply has generic elastic type strap(s) that keep it contained.

Is this more a type of "add on purchase" for those not understanding the simplicity of carrying a decoy or is there a $20 value to this carrier? Anyone have a pic?

Not sure if it's worth $20, but it's handy in it's own way. I might have a quick clip of one over my shoulder from a morning hunt we did last fall. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Not sure if it's worth $20, but it's handy in it's own way. I might have a quick clip of one over my shoulder from a morning hunt we did last fall. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Believe me, if you are ever driving dow the road and let us say your cow elk decoy happens to be sitting on the passenger seat and just happens to spring open, hitting the windshield and passenger windows with a loud snap/crash.............as you are screaming like a little girl because you think you just got T-boned the $20 you spend after that doesn't mean much.

Not that any of that happened to me.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back