Montana Antelope Draw

Stop at FWP Region 7 HQ in Miles City for info. 'Don't know the current numbers of antelope in Prairie County north and south of Terry, but there is a lot of BLM and other public land in that county, as well as some Block Management access.

Good luck to you. Be safe; be well.

BTW, where are you from? Put your location on the upper right hand under number of messages.
Thanks!

Welcome to hunt talk .... so basically you put in for a tag with no plan ? Sounds about like the norm these days ... I’m not giving you a hard time , I hope you get a good antelope but here you are less than 2 weeks before the season opens on the internet looking for someone to setup a plan for you ... having said that ... pm me and I’ll try to help you out best I can !
I will do that, thanks!

Welcome to Montana!
'Love Savannah. 'Lived at Savannah Beach as I completed helicopter flight training at Hunter Army Airfield, prior to heading for Vietnam.
Favorite food was bags of fresh shrimp on the dock. Water skied and para-skied in the Savannah River. (This landlubber Montana boy and roommate Minnesotan fearfully mistook porpoises for sharks as our Ohio roommate water skied.:rolleyes:)

Welcome to Montana!
'Love Savannah. 'Lived at Savannah Beach as I completed helicopter flight training at Hunter Army Airfield, prior to heading for Vietnam.
Favorite food was bags of fresh shrimp on the dock. Water skied and para-skied in the Savannah River. (This landlubber Montana boy and roommate Minnesotan fearfully mistook porpoises for sharks as our Ohio roommate water skied.:rolleyes:)
Haha! Well there are plenty of sharks as well but, yeah it’s highly likely to see dolphins up the river. I’m also a pilot (fixed wing, private)!

Welcome to hunt talk .... so basically you put in for a tag with no plan ? Sounds about like the norm these days ... I’m not giving you a hard time , I hope you get a good antelope but here you are less than 2 weeks before the season opens on the internet looking for someone to setup a plan for you ... having said that ... pm me and I’ll try to help you out best I can !
For some reason, my profile still doesn’t have permission for sending PMs. I have made many replies so I’m not sure why.
Anyway, I actually do feel like I have a plan. I have spent months researching antelope (biology, life cycle, hunting tactics, etc). I have watched nearly every hunting tv episode and YT video about antelope. I have read tons of articles, blogs and forums as well as listened to several hunting podcasts. I have spent hours and HOURS scouring every inch on the ONX map. I now have the region covered in waypoints marking scouting location, glassing spots, water sources, etc. I even have letters out to landowners in the area to request crossing access and such (long shot, I know lol). I am just exhausting every resource I have short of actually flying out there to set us up for success. I have a plan for scouting on our arrival day as we drive in from the airport. I have a day one plan, a day two plan and a day 3 plan. The remaining 3 days will likely depend on what our first scouting days turn up. I haven’t waited until a few weeks before our trip to plan as you say. However, I know that I don’t know what I don’t know. That is why I asked on this forum. Someone familiar with the region or that lives in the area may say something like “ya know we haven’t seen any antelope in _____ area this year” and that would be invaluable info for us.

Antelope are by far the easiest animal to hunt so you have that going for you. Part of hunting is figuring out new areas, that’s a great part of the hunt and you don’t have to be successful to have a good hunt. Sounds like you have a solid plan now it’s just time for boots on the ground. I’m sure you will do just fine, good luck.

“where are the antelope?” “Ummmm, standing on the same hill they have been for the last 45 days.” “So where can I find ‘em?”

You'll be fine. Do your homework, pick your area, hike to good vantage points, and glass to your hearts content.

Oh, and never drive over a rise if you can hunt on the back of it- take your rifle and spotter and walk over it first. Learned that one the hard way.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back