Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana and Tik Tok

Never used tik tok and am generally in the camp of anti big government. Just what we need, more rules to follow. Are there really no bigger issues to solve?

I am curious how they plan to enforce this? Fine the app store every time a download is made inside the state boundries or what?

State enforcement will be a HUGE challenge

As for why, the fear is China and has nothing to do with data. Tiktok is an app, written in China, code reviewed in China. IN THEORY they could out code in to launch attacks INSIDE the USA portions of the internet, making them look like they come from your phone, not from China

It's essentially allowing millions of cyber attacks initiation points.

That's the theory anyway

I am curious how they plan to enforce this? Fine the app store every time a download is made inside the state boundries or what?
Even the sponsor admitted it was unenforceable. MT and othe State legislatures do pointless and stupid stuff every session. It typically revolves around addressing a “fear” that was created by politicians. This time it was a ballooon. Last session it was Antifa or some BS.

It's essentially allowing millions of cyber attacks initiation points.
Also apparently super addictive for kids, creates more anxiety etc. one article I saw involved the author setting up a fake kid profile and doing some particular searches.

Those searches that set the algorithm and the user then got a lot of vids in their feed on eating disorders, and if I recall, maybe depression or suicide.

Edit: from the article

“Last August, researchers set up eight TikTok accounts to look like they belonged to 13-year-olds in the U.S., the U.K., Canada and Australia. For 30 minutes, researchers behind the accounts paused briefly on any videos the platform’s For You page showed them about body image and mental health, and tapped the heart to like them.

TikTok almost immediately recommended videos about suicide and eating disorders, the researchers said. Videos about body image and mental health popped up on the accounts’ For You pages every 39 seconds, they added.

After the researchers published their findings, many of the videos they flagged disappeared from TikTok. Many of the accounts that posted the material remain. Those accounts include other videos that promote restrictive diets and discuss self-harm and suicide.”

Last edited:
Read the tik toc user agreement. You will be shocked at the access you are giving them. It also really interesting to look at the content differences between USA tik toc and the tik toc in China.

Now they need to focus on getting the Huawei gear off the cell towers...

That ballon was over MT for reason...a lot easier to pick up cell RF spectrum than from a satellite.

These days I would rather my SS number get out than my cell ESN.

It's China State owned/influenced stock with one of three seats on the board of it's parent company. There are a few other apps that China has Govt vested interests as collection and subterfuge influence. Interesting enough, it's not permitted in China w/o govt direct censorship and govt direct use - says something about their interest.

It's not an enforceable act nor intended to be at the "user" level. It's an act that fines the "dealer" (Google Play/Apple, etc) and a means to counter Chinese influence
Montana is a stage to initiate this type of activity. However, it was and is currently an action at the federal level.

It, and other China State ownership apps are banned for federal devices.

America, the melting pot. We allow all though throw a Chit fit over a Chinese "surveillance" balloon.
The obvious is d'oh! elementary - the less obvious is...

Edit: Once posted, I saw @sccritterkiller 's post. Basically same content.

So many aspects of American culture and economics bows to the CCP and her people.

TikTok is an engineered social virus, and weakens us as a country significantly. My kids will never use it as long as they are under my purview. If you really dig into what it collects, and then extrapolate to what could be done en masse as technology progresses, it's really quite terrifying. Same goes for other apps, though from what I have read TikTok is on another level. From the premise that we are all patternable, and that there really is no such thing as Big Data too big to model and/or manipulate anymore, I think folks need to wake up.

That said, I do not believe in banning a specific product by name, and do believe there is an American way forward. Government should create laws that a technological product must adhere to, and if it cannot, then it cannot be used or distributed here. That is the right way to "ban" the use of a product as opposed to banning a specific company.

They could probably outsource the draw to China, get it done faster and the 11 year Olds in the sweat shop IT farms would understand better what they're doing, and get it done right lol.
Maybe they should have posted their big 3 drawing on TikTok...could have been a more believable excuse for that cluster shag.

Government should create laws that a technological product must adhere to, and if it cannot, then it cannot be used or distributed here.
This fits right in with ECPA. Question here, in fine print and as you shared, it's not "illegal" if you agree to it's EULA.

Read the tik toc user agreement. You will be shocked at the access you are giving them. It also really interesting to look at the content differences between USA tik toc and the tik toc in China.

Does it say anything about where data is stored, or routed thru? For example, early on when Zoom was being used more, I think they were routing meeting info through servers in China. This was obviously a problem and I think Zoom fixed it. Hopefully tiktok "America" is keeping info retained only in the US

Now, there may be problems regarding the Reds and Tiktok, but I do not understand how this is the purview of the Montana Legislature. I mean, working people can't afford rent or health care, and this is a higher priority? And more taxpayer dollars will go to lawyers to fight over this ban. How is that smart?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back