Montana and Tik Tok

Yeah, people could actually stop being dumba$$es and read the fine print. The government protecting me from myself is not a function I think government is well positioned to perform nor do I want them to

I don’t disagree with your points about a completely different subject unrelated to this conversation. Reducing gun violence between our own citizens is very different than disabling a foreign government from negatively impacting our American citizens. Also, comparing the ban on this invasive social media platform and drag shows couldn’t be further apart. I recognize it’s the same political party pushing both topics, but they are fundamentally different.

After serving in the military for nearly 20 years, I have a different perspective than 95% of the other members of this forum. There is a legitimate reason we should worry about China. I caution those of you who are completely dismissing this topic to take a step back and think about how much you cherish those freedoms you’ve enjoyed your whole life without having to sacrifice anything for them.
The way I see it, is that if we had a handle on gun violence, domestic violence, mental health, jobs, shoring up SS, Medicare, yada yada that REALLY are important to the citizens of the States and its Citizens, sure, worry about and work on tiktok.

On my priority list...I don't see banning tiktok, having it tied up in court for years, spending money on all that, even making the top 20.

Honestly, I'm still more concerned about the patriot act than tiktok.

They worry about TikTok, drag shows, and banning books, all likely 1st amendment violations and unconstitutional, but don't spend 5 minutes worrying about something that kills 50K citizens a year. I'm not talking about taking second amendment rights away. I'm talking about protecting the citizens and taking measures to at least reduce the 50K deaths a year, and yes, it can be done without violating constitutional rights.
Unfortunately it's more complicated, because some social media sites arguably have an adverse effect on young peoples' emotional states (refer to my post quotes on page 1 of this thread). Then if young people entertain suicidal thoughts due to what they viewed (or were fed, due to algorithms) on social media, and have access to a firearm, that's a statistic that may be categorized death by firearm.

Unfortunately it's more complicated, because some social media sites arguably have an adverse effect on young peoples' emotional states (refer to my post quotes on page 1 of this thread). Then if young people entertain suicidal thoughts due to what they viewed (or were fed, due to algorithms) on social media, and have access to a firearm, that's a statistic that may be categorized death by firearm.
That’s called parenting. People should try it

State’s have the responsibility to protect their citizens, and if the federal government is too disfunctional to provide that protection, then it is absolutely within the purview of the state legislature. This action is not equivalent to banning books or media sites, and to suggest that is a red herring.

I get that people on this site only want the legislature to focus on hunting and fishing issues, but there is more going on in the world that impacts the whole populous. I’m unsure how this law will be enforced, but I am encouraged MT decided to take action on behalf of its citizens.
You don't actually believe that do you? Scratch that, Im sure you do. The reason it was done was for the sound bite "we acted against China because Biden wouldn't". There are zero people in the Montana Legislature or Governor's office with the federal security clearance, let alone the technical knowledge, to understand what the risks of Tik Tok are. This isn't about the legitimacy of those risks. It's all for the show. Yes there are real people doing real work on how to mitigate China's influence and actions worldwide. The Montana Legislature is not the vanguard of that work.

An interesting query in the grand scheme of State, National, and International life...

Hunting in America banned. No hunting what-so-ever. We'd have approx 20% of America pissed. That's the chit end of the reaction.

Working on Chinese owned applications that are data mining American life, to benefit China...

Hate to say it though - Hunting is not on the global stage of significant adverse action to "ban". Two world powers, China and U.S. and the future of our children... That is an issue.

Thankfully, I don't see hunting banned, thankfully though for intent of the point...

Fun fact Biden says he wrote the Patriot Act. He also has a room in the white house for tiktok influencers, to reach out to the young crowd.

Writing legislation and passing it are two different things, and no, I don't believe he wrote it. No I don't think (if I were on tiktok) that the US would fold because "they're" tracking my phone/computer.

Writing legislation and passing it are two different things, and no, I don't believe he wrote it. No I don't think (if I were on tiktok) that the US would fold because "they're" tracking my phone/computer.
In the video he claims to have written its predecessor, which later became Patriot Act and he seemed proud of it.

Probably isn't just tracking that's the issue, but spreading viruses/trojan horses/ransom software to electronic devices on a mass scale, and/or to disable power grids etc. I'd prefer that my air traffic controller, or the people working at the Columbia River dams, not have infected iphones at work. But then again, I look pretty good in a tinfoil hat

Most legislation is written by lobbyists, think tanks and other special interests and then spoon fed to legislators to introduce and get passed. Welcome to ‘Merica.

In the video he claims to have written its predecessor, which later became Patriot Act and he seemed proud of it.

Probably isn't just tracking that's the issue, but spreading viruses/trojan horses/ransom software to electronic devices on a mass scale, and/or to disable power grids etc. I'd prefer that my air traffic controller, or the people working at the Columbia River dams, not have infected iphones at work. But then again, I look pretty good in a tinfoil hat
Well, pre tiktok, the Chinese government hacked the entire government system and compromised our PII. We got 2 years of "free" monitoring to make sure our data wasn't being used maliciously.

Seems to me, the least of our worries regarding your concerns about TikTok.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
You have to download the app and hit the button to allow access to your stuff. Is that a threat? Seems like a willing move by people. Taking over the world is not going to happen through a phone. I can at any moment chuck that thing out the window and move on with my life. People actually get by with out cell service. I spent over half my life without one. Log off social media and go shoot your guns. It’s all going to be okay. I think this is just a symbolic political move with no real world utility. My .02

Boy, I sure do regret starting this thread with a simple comment about how I don't really understand "why a state would do this" and although I did get a few good posts with some legit comments helping me out, most of the thread has turned to poo. Thus is the life of a hunt talk thread in the off season I suppose.

Boy, I sure do regret starting this thread with a simple comment about how I don't really understand "why a state would do this" and although I did get a few good posts with some legit comments helping me out, most of the thread has turned to poo. Thus is the life of a hunt talk thread in the off season I suppose.
Cmmon man everyone knows the montanas just passed it cause they thought the governor of SD was hot and wanted to impress her.

Taking over the world is not going to happen through a phone. I can at any moment chuck that thing out the window and move on with my life.

You may be right or wrong. Maybe we’ll all find out in a year or two if AI takes over.

On another note, before anyone chucks their phone out the window, they should probably ensure it’s not connected to their new vehicle’s info system. For all I know the vehicle will engage the ABS and turn around to retrieve it. All this electronic stuff is connected and sharing info

TikTok is not the only security risk vector and if that was truly the concern by the MT Gov - "banning" the app does nothing to alleviate that risk. I guess it is good if it helps people sleep better at night.

I do have a marketing plan for a new style of tinfoil that you can wrap around your phone that filters data sharing but only for apps that you can configure (it depends on the number of folds, the more powerful apps take more layers of material). I should expand it to include laptops too I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back