Montana 2020

There’s some really good bma’s and there’s a ton that are absolute garbage. The good ones tend to fill up really fast.
I also have noticed the good ones typically disappear from the program from year to year. There is a lot of money floating around out there.

Sounds like one heckofa fun time man I like your plan good luck and be sure to post here after the trip!

Tell ya what that country is some of the most amazing I’ve experienced. Any amount of time spent there is bound to be well spent; bringing home venison & antlers is amazingly rich gravy!

I def identify w/ those who point out how relative the whole “overrun” public land thing is. The fact we are enthusiastic to pay as much as Montana and other states charge to get out there should say boatloads.

BTW- don’t diss yer home bro. Turkey Run SP is a gorgeous chunk of real estate!

Sounds like one heckofa fun time man I like your plan good luck and be sure to post here after the trip!

Tell ya what that country is some of the most amazing I’ve experienced. Any amount of time spent there is bound to be well spent; bringing home venison & antlers is amazingly rich gravy!

I def identify w/ those who point out how relative the whole “overrun” public land thing is. The fact we are enthusiastic to pay as much as Montana and other states charge to get out there should say boatloads.

BTW- don’t diss yer home bro. Turkey Run SP is a gorgeous chunk of real estate!
Yea there’s some decent stuff here in Indiana. Just not a ton. Just majority of prime hunting ground is leased and it’s insane the money you fork out now with all the third party leasing companies

Hey guys and gals,
New on here, but me and my buddies are planning a hunt in 704 next year (the south
Central part) and we’re thinking about doing a run and gun camp style hunt. Where we park at blms and if we find deer in the evening just camp there, if not just walk back to the truck and camp. Talked to my buddy whose been twice and states that most people just stay at hotels. Anyone else go the camping route and if so, any good tips or tricks we should know about?

I hunt the Mt breaks. Drive out from Glasgow everyday since I am not set up to cold camp yet. Yes we see trucks in the road. But in two years hunting there, I have only ran into 3 hunters on foot more than a half mile from the road. I am getting convinced thru my readings on this site, that many folks are posting false or negative information to discourage hunters. I know that is a broad brush I am painting with and I’m sure there are helpful folks out there. I guess the negatives stick out a little more.

I hunt the Mt breaks. Drive out from Glasgow everyday since I am not set up to cold camp yet. Yes we see trucks in the road. But in two years hunting there, I have only ran into 3 hunters on foot more than a half mile from the road. I am getting convinced thru my readings on this site, that many folks are posting false or negative information to discourage hunters. I know that is a broad brush I am painting with and I’m sure there are helpful folks out there. I guess the negatives stick out a little more.
Don't know where in the Breaks you are hunting, but that is not what I have seen. mtmuley

Get out there more. I've seen hunters kill cow elk way further from the road than 1/2 mile. mtmuley
Right on. I’m not saying lots of people arent out there. And I’m not saying people don’t leave the roadway. I’m just saying I get several miles in and don’t run into many folks. That’s all. Based on my very little experience....thing is my original comment was pointed towards what I think is many folks on this site trying to wave people off instead of helping people out. Maybe my definition of crowded is different than yours.

Maybe you should try different area then since you don’t shoot mule deer anyway
I do think there is good opportunity in the breaks and north eastern Montana because all the spotlight that has been put on southeast montana. Head north plenty of young bucks to shoot up that direction too. It is a state wide tag after all.

Right on. I’m not saying lots of people arent out there. And I’m not saying people don’t leave the roadway. I’m just saying I get several miles in and don’t run into many folks. That’s all. Based on my very little experience....thing is my original comment was pointed towards what I think is many folks on this site trying to wave people off instead of helping people out. Maybe my definition of crowded is different than yours.

Can I ask how long you've been hunting NE Montana? And what caliber buck you're after?

I'm not trying to be a dick or prove a point, I'm just trying to figure out why there's such a huge discrepancy in hunter satisfaction for Montana deer.

Can I ask how long you've been hunting NE Montana? And what caliber buck you're after?

I'm not trying to be a dick or prove a point, I'm just trying to figure out why there's such a huge discrepancy in hunter satisfaction for Montana deer.
I wanna know where he's getting in miles off the beaten path, and not seeing many people because from the air region 6 looks like an ant farm with all the non established 2 tracks. That shit drives me crazy, people making their own roads.

Shit I take back my first comment there's more pumpkins out there than 3 and 4pt mule deer bucks combined. That's crowded.

Honestly this post was not intended to talk about the act of hunting but more the act of camping (what temp sleeping bag, good places to camp in that area etc...) I’ve already done a lot of research on the hunting aspect and can do my own homework there. Thanks
Aside from the obvious stuff, make sure you think about water filtration. I didn't and had a hard time drinking through my frozen lifestraw! Tent with a stovepipe is nice. Also, check out recreation.gov for forest service cabins. You have to book early, but a wood stove and a bed in the backcountry is the height of luxury!

As a montana native and hunter, thank you for hunting our state and spending your dollars here!

I dunno what to say other than it’s probably a matter of perspective. What is crowded? While walking around, seeing another hunter in a day? 4 hunters in a day? I have only hunted that area for a couple of years. My previous statement was only based on my experiences there. But during my week long trips there. I only saw 3-4 different hunters. I’m talking hiking around. Not road hunts. And this is over two years. As far a caliber of buck. I’m not really sure. I don’t know the diff between a 140 and a 160 I don’t care. That is not why I go.

I wanna know where he's getting in miles off the beaten path, and not seeing many people because from the air region 6 looks like an ant farm with all the non established 2 tracks. That shit drives me crazy, people making their own roads.

Shit I take back my first comment there's more pumpkins out there than 3 and 4pt mule deer bucks combined. That's crowded.
I suppose I’m down there with all the others you r seeing from up above. Guess I’m not seeing them like u r

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back