Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana 2020

Not everyone has the same standard of respectable bucks or hunting pressure. A lot of people are happy with the quality of hunt it provides. I am not.

Guess I should stretch my legs more. Get in there deeper. That's what my wife says anyways.

Camping is fairly dependent on conditions obviously, I personally like a wall tent setup and if for some reason you setup by someone make the most of it hell for all you know they could turn into a life long friend before the trip is over. Late season and packing camp everyday and resetting I dunno how worth it that is and with short days you wanna capitalize on your daylight hours.

As far as my comment towards the overcrowding if you think I'm pulling your leg think again. I bet you a "respectable" 4pt buck is out numbered 100 to 1 when it comes to comparing hunters number and mule deer bucks. The problem is all the "respectable" ones get whacked at 2, 3, 4 very few make it past that. So they don't get to the maturity level to show what they really could of been instead of the "respectable" 135 140 inch 4 pt. Good luck it's an ocean of public out there maybe you throw the dart just right and don't see anyone. If your buddy says he doesn't see a soul he must be getting pretty lucky cause just when you think your in the middle of no where and I mean no where....... there's a camp.

I have the stats...there on go hunt bud. Thanks though
I’ve seen them ... I just can’t remember everything . It’s not 90% draw or anything like that so I guess I feel your putting the cart in front of the horse . And there’s a million threads on SE Montana camping in hunting . Do your research

I find it odd that everyone talks about how you basically can’t walk 100 yards without seeing another hunter yet I have a friend who has been two years in a row in a very popular unit and didn’t see much pressure at all and has killed two respectable bucks as well as his hunting partner...I’m beginning to think that all the pressure is within a hundred yards of a road cause most are to out of shape to walk more than a mile or two a day??
What’s your definition of a respectable buck? This is where easterners and westerners tend to differ....

I appreciate all yours guys comments, don’t want to upset anyone. I do understand there’s gonna be pressure (basically the only state you can gun hunt the rut). All me and my buddies want to do is experience the beautiful west and have the opportunity to shoot some deer. But honestly I’m just excited to be out of a tree stand and be one the move. Just seems like a way more fun way to hunt.

Eastern Montana respectable 2.5 year old bucks ="ThESe WeRe ThE BiGGest BoDied MuLe DeeR wE HavE EveR SeEn!"
That will probably be the case. You guys are blessed to be able to hunt mule deer every year. They’re amazing animals, and yes that all do look huge to us easterners lol

Guess I should stretch my legs more. Get in there deeper. That's what my wife says anyways.

Camping is fairly dependent on conditions obviously, I personally like a wall tent setup and if for some reason you setup by someone make the most of it hell for all you know they could turn into a life long friend before the trip is over. Late season and packing camp everyday and resetting I dunno how worth it that is and with short days you wanna capitalize on your daylight hours.

As far as my comment towards the overcrowding if you think I'm pulling your leg think again. I bet you a "respectable" 4pt buck is out numbered 100 to 1 when it comes to comparing hunters number and mule deer bucks. The problem is all the "respectable" ones get whacked at 2, 3, 4 very few make it past that. So they don't get to the maturity level to show what they really could of been instead of the "respectable" 135 140 inch 4 pt. Good luck it's an ocean of public out there maybe you throw the dart just right and don't see anyone. If your buddy says he doesn't see a soul he must be getting pretty lucky cause just when you think your in the middle of no where and I mean no where....... there's a camp.
Thank you for the advice. I should state that he also did some hunting on bmas so obviously that minimizes pressure some

Have fun. That's what its all about. How many guy's you bringin' 5,6? Get some surplus doe tags too, always fun to "fill the freezer"

I find it odd that everyone talks about how you basically can’t walk 100 yards without seeing another hunter yet I have a friend who has been two years in a row in a very popular unit and didn’t see much pressure at all and has killed two respectable bucks as well as his hunting partner...I’m beginning to think that all the pressure is within a hundred yards of a road cause most are to out of shape to walk more than a mile or two a day??

Hosedragger,

Eastern MT is a special place for many hunters, both resident and nonresident alike. You will not have any trouble finding a place to camp for a night or two and then bounce to your next online ONx scouted public ground piece. You will see hunters every single day and this holds true even miles from your rig. Western hunters, me included, feel that seeing another hunter with in a mile is too many. A nonresident that lives in an orange army state sees this as little hunting pressure. I hope that you are fortunate enough to draw the tag and make the trip, you will enjoy it!
As far as the quality, age/size/score, of the bucks? Listen to "AR", find the one that checks the boxes for you and shoot straight.

Good Luck,

Mtnhunter

Hosedragger,

Eastern MT is a special place for many hunters, both resident and nonresident alike. You will not have any trouble finding a place to camp for a night or two and then bounce to your next online ONx scouted public ground piece. You will see hunters every single day and this holds true even miles from your rig. Western hunters, me included, feel that seeing another hunter with in a mile is too many. A nonresident that lives in an orange army state sees this as little hunting pressure. I hope that you are fortunate enough to draw the tag and make the trip, you will enjoy it!
As far as the quality, age/size/score, of the bucks? Listen to "AR", find the one that checks the boxes for you and shoot straight.

Good Luck,

Mtnhunter
Thank you! Very useful information

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back