Caribou Gear

Montana 2020

Hey guys and gals,
New on here, but me and my buddies are planning a hunt in 704 next year (the south
Central part) and we’re thinking about doing a run and gun camp style hunt. Where we park at blms and if we find deer in the evening just camp there, if not just walk back to the truck and camp. Talked to my buddy whose been twice and states that most people just stay at hotels. Anyone else go the camping route and if so, any good tips or tricks we should know about?

Hey guys and gals,
New on here, but me and my buddies are planning a hunt in 704 next year (the south
Central part) and we’re thinking about doing a run and gun camp style hunt. Where we park at blms and if we find deer in the evening just camp there, if not just walk back to the truck and camp. Talked to my buddy whose been twice and states that most people just stay at hotels. Anyone else go the camping route and if so, any good tips or tricks we should know about?
There is not thousands of hotel rooms so I doubt that most stay in hotel rooms . I just hope you are prepared for how many hunters your going to see . Oh and you have to draw first it was only about 50% draw last year

Never stayed within 50 miles of a hotel out there. We still have lots of company where ever we end up camping. Plan on having backup camping spots in case others are full. Always a fun time though, even if it's crowded.

I don’t know who your buddy talked to about hotels, I haven’t heard of that being a thing in 704. Maybe he was referring to wall tents. It’s wall tent city in those hills.

I find it odd that everyone talks about how you basically can’t walk 100 yards without seeing another hunter yet I have a friend who has been two years in a row in a very popular unit and didn’t see much pressure at all and has killed two respectable bucks as well as his hunting partner...I’m beginning to think that all the pressure is within a hundred yards of a road cause most are to out of shape to walk more than a mile or two a day??

It was 50 percent with a preference point!? Wow go hunt must be way off then..
I’m not sure - I haven’t seen stats for a while but I thought it was 50% overall could be wrong Maybe that was for big game combo . Anyone have the nr draw stats from last year they could post?

I’m not sure - I haven’t seen stats for a while but I thought it was 50% overall could be wrong Maybe that was for big game combo . Anyone have the nr draw stats from last year they could post?
I have the stats...there on go hunt bud. Thanks though

Honestly this post was not intended to talk about the act of hunting but more the act of camping (what temp sleeping bag, good places to camp in that area etc...) I’ve already done a lot of research on the hunting aspect and can do my own homework there. Thanks

Back