PEAX Equipment

Montana 2020

I suppose I’m down there with all the others you r seeing from up above. Guess I’m not seeing them like u r
All I am saying is with that vast amount of country out there it sure is crazy how a guy thinks I'm sure not many people go here or there only to run into another two track on the next ridge. Sure there's areas there isn't a road for a couple miles. They're far and few between though. 9.9 outta 10 rounds a guy discovers aren't bladed roads.

All I am saying is with that vast amount of country out there it sure is crazy how a guy thinks I'm sure not many people go here or there only to run into another two track on the next ridge. Sure there's areas there isn't a road for a couple miles. They're far and few between though. 9.9 outta 10 rounds a guy discovers aren't bladed roads.
I’m not on the two tracks. Well maybe on the way back out

We print our own licenses and tags now in Montana , wonder how many will be printing multiple tags .... this seems like a bad idea . Anything to save a $ dollar . I was gonna say buck but it’s obvious they don’t want to save a buck

FWP looks to improve customer service with two changes to 2020 licenses
Hunters and anglers can expect a few changes this year when they buy their 2020 licenses starting March 1.
The most visible change Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks customers will see is a change to license paper. Starting this year, both licenses and carcass tags will be printed on normal-sized paper, and license buyers will be able to print them at home.
For years, FWP licenses and tags have been produced on weather-resistant paper. However, this paper is not only expensive, but requires printing technology so outdated that it’s almost impossible to replace. The switch to standard 8.5 by 11-inch paper will provide significant savings and ultimately be easier for customers.
What this means is hunters won’t have to wait for special permits or licenses to come in the mail from FWP, but rather will be able to print them at home or at their local license provider.
This change also will reinforce the ability in Montana to have your license electronically on your mobile device and not printed out in your pocket. While carcass tags still need to be printed out, other licenses, such as a fishing license, do not. If checked in the field, this electronic version of your license is perfectly legal.
FWP recommends that people carry small plastic bags with them while hunting, and place validated carcass tags in the bags before attaching them to an animal. Small plastic bags ideal for this application will be available at all license providers, but any small sandwich bag will work.
Additionally, in 2020, hunters applying for licenses or permits will be able to do so online or at an FWP office. Mail-in applications will no longer be accepted.
With modern technology, the number of online applications continues to steadily grow. Eighty-six percent of Montana hunters now choose this method. The small percentage of mail-in applications creates a time-consuming, expensive and inefficient delay in the license-drawing process. Mail-in applications must be entered manually in the licensing system, leaving room for human error and delays.
Customers who still look for written guidance to help them through the application process will be able to find information sheets online or at an FWP office in the coming weeks. These information sheets will not be accepted as applications.
This simple change means that drawing results will now be available two weeks after the application deadline, rather than six weeks, allowing hunters to begin making plans for the upcoming season that much earlier.
Hunting News
Fishing News
Watch the latest Outdoor Report

There are not any places with enough roadless land in Eastern Montana to make much more than a marginal difference in the quality of bucks you will find. Sure you can walk away from most of the other hunters on the roads. What many hunters fail to account for is that Mule Deer are very mobile. Hunters form the east tend to view mule deer too much like whitetails back home. Take your whitetails home range and expand it greatly for mule deer. With the long seasons in Montana we are able to hunt mule deer in summer range, transition between summer and winter range, where the buck ruts and winter range. The distance between where a buck is in late Oct, Mid Nov. and Thanksgiving weekend is often measured in miles even in Eastern Montana. The chances that a buck will spend the entire season with out crossing numerous roads is very low. The chances that that same buck will live to five. All most zero. I can think of many examples of nice bucks that I located miles form a road in Oct that were later taken by a lucky hunter in an alfalfa field or from a well used road in mid Nov.

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious stuff, make sure you think about water filtration. I didn't and had a hard time drinking through my frozen lifestraw! Tent with a stovepipe is nice. Also, check out recreation.gov for forest service cabins. You have to book early, but a wood stove and a bed in the backcountry is the height of luxury!

As a montana native and hunter, thank you for hunting our state and spending your dollars here!
Thank you! A buddy of mine actually looked up cabins for this coming year and most of them were already booked in the areas we were looking at. I’m assuming a lot of guys just re book them for the coming year as soon as they leave. And you’re welcome! Can’t wait to come experience it

There are not any places with enough roadless land in Eastern Montana to make much more than a marginal difference in the quality of bucks you will find. Sure you can walk away from most of the other hunters on the roads. What many hunters fail to account for is that Mule Deer are very mobile. Hunters form the east tend to view mule deer too much like whitetails back home. Take your whitetails home range and expand it greatly for mule deer. With the long seasons in Montana we are able to hunt mule deer in summer range, transition between summer and winter range, where the buck ruts and winter range. The distance between where a buck is in late Oct, Mid Nov. and Thanksgiving weekend is often measured in miles even in Eastern Montana. The chances that a buck will spend the entire season with out crossing numerous roads is very low. The chances that that same buck will live to five. All most zero. I can think of many examples of nice bucks that I located miles form a road in Oct that were later taken by a lucky hunter in an alfalfa field or from a well used road in mid Nov.
That’s what I’m excited for, the fact that you could hunt an area for a week and see different deer everyday. I can’t wait to get out and roam around rather than sit in a treestand for 8 hours hoping one specific deer comes by me. Sometimes that’s fun, but most of the time it’s exhausting

I’m not sure - I haven’t seen stats for a while but I thought it was 50% overall could be wrong Maybe that was for big game combo . Anyone have the nr draw stats from last year they could post?
i think most recent is slightly under 50 percent. just joined gohunt and think i saw that last night.

Tryin to decide if my buddy and I should apply as a party with one point between the two or us, or apply separately and then if he doesn't get drawn with zero points, I can just go out there by myself.

I'm just mildly perturbed I texted him last summer weekly to remind him to buy a point and then a week after the deadline he texts me "hey can I still buy a point for mule deer in Montana?"

Tryin to decide if my buddy and I should apply as a party with one point between the two or us, or apply separately and then if he doesn't get drawn with zero points, I can just go out there by myself.

I'm just mildly perturbed I texted him last summer weekly to remind him to buy a point and then a week after the deadline he texts me "hey can I still buy a point for mule deer in Montana?"
That is frustrating. TopRut put out an article a while back though, pointing out that those with zero points may have better odds than those with 1 point this year. So who knows...

That is frustrating. TopRut put out an article a while back though, pointing out that those with zero points may have better odds than those with 1 point this year. So who knows...
Yup if I were you all I wouldn’t buy points

Screenshot_20200204-074523_Drive.jpg

How would that happen? This is from 2019 and it looks like 1 point was 100% for deer?

Last edited:
@ajricketts Go read the Toprut article. I won't post a link, I think they could probably be considered a competitor to GoHunt. It has to do with how Montana allocates a certain percent of tags to the top point holders, then a percent of tags to those with zero points.

It happened last year where some folks with zero points drew and some with a point did not. Look at the elk and the big game combo numbers in your image.

@ajricketts Go read the Toprut article. I won't post a link, I think they could probably be considered a competitor to GoHunt. It has to do with how Montana allocates a certain percent of tags to the top point holders, then a percent of tags to those with zero points.

It happened last year where some folks with zero points drew and some with a point did not. Look at the elk and the big game combo numbers in your image.

I understand now, thanks. I see that happening with elk and the big game combo but it seems like deer is pretty safe I guess. At least for 2019 it appears that odds were still better with 1 point, but we'll see what 2020 holds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back