MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana 2019 Spring Bear Season

On Thursday I went out on the atv to check out the roads west of Seeley. I saw one bear, it was a black bear that was a very light blond color phase. Not sure of size as he was moving in a area of heavy brush. I did a lot of glassing but only saw the one on the road. He was at about 5500 feet elevation. The snow line is moving up but the roads are going to get soft and may be closed until they dry some. The sighting was about 5:30 pm.

Dan

Yeah coming up on my last day tomorrow, unless we really get something hit then I could take another day. Saw one today at about 4000ft at 3pm. Standing along the forest road. Seen about half of the state in the last 6 days and having a blast.

This Spring seems late this year . We were into bears last year around the 17 th.It should get better every day now till Season closing !
Good luck all that get out there !
We are headed out in a few hrs .

MT.PERCHMAN

Well 2019 is a warp for me and my crew, no bear, saw a real pig today at 6pm at 1600 yards did our best to work within range no dice. He slipped away. Thank you Montana for being a great host. We saw about half the state in a trip had a blast. Starting the 19hr drive now. Special thanks to MT.PERCHMAN the guy went well out of his way to help try and get us on a bear. I am grateful.

Well, I got out on Saturday and took my rifle for a hike. Snowline was still lower than I thought. One of my favorite glassing spots was still basically in the throes of winter. The best tender spring growth seemed to between about 5 and 6K feet, everything was still pretty snowed in up around 7K. Didn't see any bear sign at all, and the weather was cruddy too. Frustrating. I never can seem to have the time this time of year to come up with a good plan and execute it. And I always seem to have trouble anticipating where the snowline is going to be. Most bear hunts for me, until about the last week and a half of the season tend to be me running into some obstacle and then just wandering around without a plan.

Oh well, beats sitting around at home anyway.

I posted a thread elsewhere but got one myself today. And saw fresh scat in multiple areas in northwest Montana. Ironically I have next week off for bear camp west of Libby. Looks like I’ll be camp guide, cook and beer drinker now!2CC55EBB-F20D-40D8-95DD-4662A5EB27B5.png

I split the difference and went one cinnamon in the middle. Pro tip for the masses: unless you only shoot giant bears, don't put them too close together, a single nice bear makes all the rest look like cubs :D

Wife- "You aren't going to rug your POW bear"

Me- "Nope"

Wife- "But it's way bigger than your others"

Me- "Exactly"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back