Montana 2019 Spring Bear Season

We are gonna be around the libby area. Around the cabinets mtns and prob see what just north of libby looks like around last year's big burn. Mostly classing South facing slopes and walking old logging roads. Gonna be out there for 8 days total. In decent shape, run 3 miles a day and lift every day as well so should be able to cover decent ground.

I live right in the middle of that big burn area and we had snow last night that stuck! Your best bet for this area is going to be the last two weeks of May. Prior to that it's pretty sketchy. Good luck.

Just for fun here's a post I made a year ago about spring bear hunting. Just click on the title "Big Bore Boar" and it will take you there....

Last edited:
Just for fun here's a post I made a year ago about spring bear hunting. Just click on the title "Big Bore Boar" and it will take you there....

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe we will catch a lil break and have some decent hunting. Might see ya out there

We hit 4 spots yesterday and nothing . Cant get to my honey hole , just to much snow .

MT.PERCHMAN
A significant difference between the prior two years and this. Much more evaporation vs ground melt, imo.
We live along a stretch of meadows that were practically 3' lakes... This year, far from it.

This was taken first week of April 2018. NW MT. This year? A fraction... Hopefully a good feed year to pack the weight.

Best to all. I've done a couple small day hunts and it's greener than the past. I'll edit this with a current pic, off a critical month though the meadow is nowhere near the same this time last year.

Off to hunt the next 6-8 days. Hopefully this year a few bullet connections will be made. These annual threads are enjoyable to follow.

This year:

Last edited:
I have no idea why bear season starts so early. I wish it would start later and run to the end of June. Too much snow most years.

The area across the Interstate from Deer Lodge (215 I think) closes at the end of May. There are bears in there, I doubt there will be time to hunt them this year, unless we have a pronounced warming trend starting immediately.

Congrats to you and your wife and thanks for sharing! It gave a little boost to my spirit. I'm finding plenty of whitetails and muley's both but still haven't found any signs of bears yet.

Good luck out there Sytes.

just for clarification i couldnt find it in the regs anywhere. Whats the rule for being in a vehicle with a rifle? I was wondering if its similar to colorado where it has to be unloaded and in a hard or zipped case. Any info on that one?

just for clarification i couldnt find it in the regs anywhere. Whats the rule for being in a vehicle with a rifle? I was wondering if its similar to colorado where it has to be unloaded and in a hard or zipped case. Any info on that one?
I couldn't find anything other than it says it cannot be concealed without a permit but I am sure someone will post that knows for sure.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back