MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Monster Transmissions , anybody ever use them ?

CRJR45

My transmission is acting up and I leave next month for a 5000 mile round trip hunt .
2016 2500HD 4x4 6.0 , the tranny is shuddering . Mechanic wants to put a additive in it after changing the filter and fluid , then see what happens . He thinks its the converter locking up .
I'm thinking replace it now and be done with it , as I plan on keeping this truck even though it has 145K miles on it .
Any advice ? Can you recommend a place that rebuilds transmissions ?

Dave Kindig uses them. Lots of other builders. I wouldn't be scared of a Monster transmission.

I already replied a few times over at Rokslide, I'd steer away from Monster and toward GM personally.
Yeah , I wondered if it was smart to post it in both groups , but was looking for as much input as I could get . I'm actually a retired GM guy , and I used to get a discount on parts , not sure if it's the same now .
The thing that sucks is I just put $3000 in this truck , brakes , CV axles , belts pulleys , plugs wires , and then ordered a winch and new front bumper , tire chains , air compressor , all kinds of stuff I might need .
Now I need a transmission . This is going to be a costly trip , LOL

Monster has a really spotty history in the performance aftermarket, too much marketing, not enough reliability. There are many better choices out there.
Interesting. I see top builders using them. Hard to top original GM I guess. mtmuley

Is it a 6l80e 4 wheel drive? If so I have a good one sitting here in my barn waiting to go in. I pulled it from my Jeep when I blew up my LS. I’m in SW MI.

Interesting. I see top builders using them. Hard to top original GM I guess. mtmuley
Yeah, its the guys getting paid to use them that you'll see using Monster. For a 6L90e I'd use GM, for other transmissions it could easily be someone else. Most great transmissions have a niche builder, the 6L90 doesn't have a aftermarket following so I'd just go OEM.

Car-part.commmm

Find a low mile used one and send it, I’ve done that several times and have no regrets using it.

Car-part.commmm

Find a low mile used one and send it, I’ve done that several times and have no regrets using it.
Wow , they're more money than rebuilt and have 100K on them . It's crazy how the rebuilding truck prices have shot up . My brother used to buy salvage Duromax's and rebuild them , now they're out of control on the prices .

Wow , they're more money than rebuilt and have 100K on them . It's crazy how the rebuilding truck prices have shot up . My brother used to buy salvage Duromax's and rebuild them , now they're out of control on the prices .
What did you end up doing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back