Arctic Cat 300 ATV Problem

BigMonk96

Just asking if anyone has an Arctic Cat and have you had problems with it cutting off ?? -- I have a 2016 arctic Cat 300 2X4 utility ( Green ) and it ran fine for awhile,but has always been a little hard to crank,when cold*,but ran fine after warm-up -- Last year,it would crank,run, then just cut off ( like it was out of gas ) - I had to let it cool off for awhile,then it would crank and run for so long till it decided to cut off again ?? -- first time in shop they called me about 5 weeks later and told me it was just some trash in tank ?? -- went to pick it up and it wouldn't crank to put it on my trailer**** I ordered a carburetor off E-Bay,and had them install it, the mechanic swore I didn't need a carb., cause he found a ""crimped fuel line"",but put it on anyway. The dang thing ran better than it had since I bought it new** But only for awhile** Started doing the same thing again -- piZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZed,I took it to another dealer,who called 5 weeks later,said it was ready ( only needed to replace the fuel filter and a rotten fuel line,( he said my fuel filter was stopped up 95% ) -- and yes it was running like a new penny, but again,only for a short time. Cut off a few times,two weeks before deer season, but I got by -- Opening day, it quit and my buddy had to help me load it and use his side by side,to get the deer I had laying on the ground*** It would crank at the touch of the key,but only run for a few minutes,then cut off** -- Again, I took it to another shop,and it's been there since November 1 till ????? Checked today, and it hasn't been touched,but was assured they would get on it this week ?? Both the secondary shops asked , do you have the original carburetor ?? And the first shop,says they can't find it and the mechanic that worked on it ,has quit ?? I told the guy today,that if I had to order another OEM Carb from Arctic Cat,I would, but I don't think,that would be a guarantee fix -- he seem to think it was a vapor lock of some sort or vacuum problem ?? ___ sorry to rant,just hate to have a $4500 ""boat anchor"" on my hands,that won't run and it has less than 350 miles on it******* Anyone had such a problem ?? I'm in South Carolina,and if someone knows a good ATV mechanic, I'm all ears and willing to travel _____________thanks in advance for any and all replies,____________Monk**

I’m no mechanic but when something starts and runs for a bit before sputtering out you have to look at ventilation on the fuel tank or the fuel line. Did you replace the fuel line after the mechanic said it had a kink?

I think so ( fuel filter and replaced ""rotten"" fuel line at my second shop ) -- I am not working on it myself, I depend on the mechanics to fix it** -- will keep this in mind**

I know it's not the same machine but we have yamaha wheelers and one of them gets the fuel boiling in the tank and then it doesn't flow properly. Tried a valve adjustment, new tank cap and still happens. It's super frustrating. Best of luck. Wish I had an answer for you.

thanks Jason -- It won't run long enough to boil the fuel ( I don't think ?? )
Have you tried running it then when it starts to sputter, loosen the tank cap? If it stops sputtering as bad you know the tank is not venting correctly. I'm not a mechanic fyi but constantly seem to be fixing stuff, lol.

Ethanol eating the fuel lines, a flap forms or the tube weakens and collapses. The bowl in the carb runs dry and it dies. Fuel pump is no longer pumping and the line relaxes. Fills the bowl back up and it starts. Pump draw collapses the line and the cycle continues.

Ethanol eating the fuel lines, a flap forms or the tube weakens and collapses. The bowl in the carb runs dry and it dies. Fuel pump is no longer pumping and the line relaxes. Fills the bowl back up and it starts. Pump draw collapses the line and the cycle continues.
Can you buy a ""Higher Quality"" fuel line ?? to replace the factory ones on there now ?? -- I have only ran the "non alcohol" gas , since I bought it new in 2016. The owners manual recommends 87 octane regular unleaded______ could this be the problem ??? I thought it would be better,since that's what I use in all my small engine tools** ________maybe a ""fuel pump"" ?? -- thanks for all the replys --I hope to hear something in a week or so**

I did find an Arctic Cat OEM Carb, for a lot more money,but if I knew for sure it would fix my problem,I'd sure as heck order it**

Attachments

• NDU5OTg1Ng-b0cd2c0d.jpg
    NDU5OTg1Ng-b0cd2c0d.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
Get it running and unload it! Just kidding. No clue if OEM carb will help at this point.

Can you buy a ""Higher Quality"" fuel line ?? to replace the factory ones on there now ?? -- I have only ran the "non alcohol" gas , since I bought it new in 2016. The owners manual recommends 87 octane regular unleaded______ could this be the problem ??? I thought it would be better,since that's what I use in all my small engine tools** ________maybe a ""fuel pump"" ?? -- thanks for all the replys --I hope to hear something in a week or so**
I would start there, fuel line is the cheapest, then the pump, then the carb.

Bad gnition coils will fail when they get hot. Bike will run then stop. After cooling a bit will work for a short while. It can be tested with a voltage meter.
Premium gasoline will not hurt it. It is all I use.
I believe you're original carburetor was ok.
You can download owners n service manuals on the net.
Good luck n stay positive

Reactions: JDH
Bad gnition coils will fail when they get hot. Bike will run then stop. After cooling a bit will work for a short while. It can be tested with a voltage meter.
Premium gasoline will not hurt it. It is all I use.
I believe you're original carburetor was ok.
You can download owners n service manuals on the net.
Good luck n stay positive
Thanks -- another thing I can look for -- hadn't thought about the coil, thanks again,Monk**

Have you tried running it then when it starts to sputter, loosen the tank cap? If it stops sputtering as bad you know the tank is not venting correctly. I'm not a mechanic fyi but constantly seem to be fixing stuff, lol.
Hey Jason -- I went by the shop again this morning and guess what -- they had not touched my ATV !!!!!!!-- I went home,got my trailer, and had to roll it on the trailer -- it would not crank at the shop -- guy said,it wouldn't crank** __ got home and ( no wonder,____they didn't know how to cut on the gas ???? ) do what ??? yeh,me too**** -- first thing I tried was your idea,about the gas cap / vent problem ( another buddy recommended the same thing** ) -- turned on the gas ( it cranked in a flash* ) loosened the fuel cap __ rode around 30 minutes or so,saw my neighbor,so I rode over to him and we talked for about 30/40 minutes with the Cat on idle ( it never sputtered or cut off ) __ rode back to the barn,and she is still running like a ""new one"" _________ WOW !!!! if this fixes the problem,I will feel like an idiot,but a "'HAPPY IDIOT""" __ guess I could ride it with a loose fuel cap,but I went ahead and ordered a new fuel cap & breather hose -- when it comes in, I'll get her back out and ride awhile, to see if indeed this was my problem,all along ??? Thanks,to all you guys for the help & ideas !! have a great day,my friends, Monk**

Hey Jason -- I went by the shop again this morning and guess what -- they had not touched my ATV !!!!!!!-- I went home,got my trailer, and had to roll it on the trailer -- it would not crank at the shop -- guy said,it wouldn't crank** __ got home and ( no wonder,____they didn't know how to cut on the gas ???? ) do what ??? yeh,me too**** -- first thing I tried was your idea,about the gas cap / vent problem ( another buddy recommended the same thing** ) -- turned on the gas ( it cranked in a flash* ) loosened the fuel cap __ rode around 30 minutes or so,saw my neighbor,so I rode over to him and we talked for about 30/40 minutes with the Cat on idle ( it never sputtered or cut off ) __ rode back to the barn,and she is still running like a ""new one"" _________ WOW !!!! if this fixes the problem,I will feel like an idiot,but a "'HAPPY IDIOT""" __ guess I could ride it with a loose fuel cap,but I went ahead and ordered a new fuel cap & breather hose -- when it comes in, I'll get her back out and ride awhile, to see if indeed this was my problem,all along ??? Thanks,to all you guys for the help & ideas !! have a great day,my friends, Monk**
Sometimes it's the easiest things you just don't think of. I hope you got it solved!!! Best of luck.

The story continues**** Have not received the fuel cap,yet,but I got the ATV out this morning and was going to ride it awhile,with the fuel cap loose -- wrong!!!!!!! -- it started cutting off,after about 10 minutes, just like before ( like it was not getting enough gas or flooding out ??? ) When I pushed off the choke and tried to throttle it,bam* cuts off. Sit for a couple minutes and would crank instantly,try to throttle it and bam** cuts off -- went to a recommended by a friend shop and the mechanic was nice enough to stop working on a cycle to come out and take a look at mine. He also said,he has had problems with the ""cheap carbs"" -- pulled my carb breather tube,to see if stopped up, fooled with the throttle to see what it was doing and said it just seemed to not be getting gas. Told me I would have to wait 3 weeks,till he could really get to it ( had room for it ) -- said maybe needs a carb rebuild ( didn't really know for sure ) so I told him,I would order a OEM Carb for it and bring it with me in three weeks -- we could start there ,rather than a rebuild -- whatever it is, _________ it is driving me nuts !!!!! again,I thank all you guys for your input____________Monk**

If choking the engine helps the engine stay running, that indicates a lean condition (not enough fuel). Somewhere along the line between the fuel tank and the carburetor something has to be interrupting the fuel flow if this is the case. If the engine runs good and then bad repeatedly, it's highly unlikely that the carburetor is at fault because it would have to be working properly to run right. So if it comes and goes, most likely there is a restriction or interruption before the carburetor

Hope this helps

Thanks -- choking the engine ,will only make it run a little longer,before it cuts off --I am replacing the carb, just because every mechanic I talk to,says the ""Chineese Carbs"" are junk or problematic -- the first shop ( where I bought the Cat ) somehow lost my ""Old Original Carb"" that their mechanic said I didn't need in the first place ( I insisted he install the carb. I bought off E-bay ) -- hope to get it in this ""new to me"" shop in the next 3 weeks or so, and let them figure it out -- probably gona be some ""simple"" type of problem ( restriction/interruption problem, as you mentioned ) but I'm no mechanic and just hope these guys can find the problem*** ___ This is a 2016 machine with just 300 miles on it, never thought I would live long enough to see it have this kind of problem** thanks again,Monk**

If choking the engine helps the engine stay running, that indicates a lean condition (not enough fuel). Somewhere along the line between the fuel tank and the carburetor something has to be interrupting the fuel flow if this is the case. If the engine runs good and then bad repeatedly, it's highly unlikely that the carburetor is at fault because it would have to be working properly to run right. So if it comes and goes, most likely there is a restriction or interruption before the carburetor

Hope this helps
You can buy a short piece of fuel line and hook it directly up to the carb to see existing gas line is issue is an issue. I can't find it right now but there is a video on Youtube of a guy fixing a generator that would only run for about 10 minutes before shutting off. Turned out it was the routing of the gas line somehow allowed an air bubble to form in the gas line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back