Arctic Cat 300 ATV Problem

Yes, it sounds like the gas tank isn't refilling the fuel bowl of the carburetor quickly enough to sustain the engine. The bowl (sometimes called the float chamber) holds enough gas to keep the engine running. The float and needle valve regulate it so there's a constant supply for the engine. If the engine runs a few minutes and dies, it would seem that the float chamber isn't refilling quickly, and when you leave it for a few minutes it allows more fuel to slowly fill the bowl, and the cycle repeats. It could even be caused by the incorrect fuel filter. They have different micron ratings and can restrict flow

Last edited:
I had not thought about it being the """WRONG""" fuel filter ??? I will mention that to the new mechanic,when I get it in the shop ( about 3 weeks he said**) -- I think I am going to drain all the gas out of the tank and replace with new gas,before I take it to him. I just want to see if maybe there is some kind of trash or water or something maybe in the gas ??? I'm just at a point where I don't know what the heck this thing is doing and getting someone to work on it has been a real problem** thanks for all the ideas,Monk**

I had not thought about it being the """WRONG""" fuel filter ??? I will mention that to the new mechanic,when I get it in the shop
Yes, I've seen it happen, especially on gravity fed carburetors which rely on gravity to "push" the fuel past the filter and into the carburetor.

Debris in the tank is also possible, we see a lot of bugs, leaves etc. that usually get into fuel when people don't put the storage cap back on. If you haven't already, do yourself a huge favor and get a No-Spill brand gas can that seals automatically. They're worth their weight in gold, especially for small carbureted engines.

Quality fuel without ethanol and good fuel storage with small engine stabilizer are your friend on these little engines. It doesn't take much to cause issues with a small carburetor

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back