Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Midsize Truck Thread

R

rwc101

There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussions on midsize trucks. I'm kicking around whether I should go for a new truck (Colorado/Canyon or Tacoma) or buy my dad's 2014 Silverado off him. I really like the adaptive cruise control on the Tacoma and it would lower my blood pressure on my work trips down I-25, but every other factor pulls me towards the Colorado.

Anyone have thoughts on their midsize truck?

nope...go full size. That Silverado has more HP and gets as good or better fuel mileage. To me buying a midsized is like getting 3/4 of a truck and paying full price. Fuel mileage is an over exaggeration especially if you drive interstate speeds.

This is my experience so take the grain of salt...I had one of the early Gen3 Tacomas and spent the first year fighting with electronic and sunroof issues and the second year fighting with transmission and suspension problems. I had to trade it in at a huge loss because I couldn't get a buyer with a monthly repair history. At one point they said dust from "off roading" got into the suspension causing it to squeak and their fix was to wash the truck and spray graphite on the springs. Toyota would not lemon it because they could "fix" the issue. 2 friends also have Gen 3 Tacomas and both have their own problems but the major complaint is they get terrible mileage and if you're tall the way you sit in them makes the very uncomfortable for long trips

Out of the choices you listed I would definitely lean Tacoma. Like stated above, the couple of people I know with new Colorado’s/Canyons have been have issues. I personally had 3 frontiers, 2 SV models and a pro 4x. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one. I’m in a full size now and the ride/seats are definitely more comfortable and there’s almost no mileage difference. It really come down to if you need the space and want to deal with the parking fun.

That Silverado has more HP and gets as good or better fuel mileage. To me buying a midsized is like getting 3/4 of a truck and paying full price. Fuel mileage is an over exaggeration especially if you drive interstate speeds.

That's definitely been a consideration. A midsize seems more appropriate for 95% of my driving, but the value is lacking.

I like Tacomas a lot. That said, I had an old Ranger from high school up until a few years ago and it just wasn’t enough truck for what I do. A half ton is way more versatile.

I’ve had a Jeep gladiator since October.
I’ve enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
17,000mi so far no issues.
Sunrider roof is cool.
black plastic fenders and bumpers on the base model are nice because if you scratch them you can just swap them out yourself without having to pay for body work.
I agree with mthuntr about the fuel mileage and it would be nice to have a bed big enough to sleep in with the tailgate up and be able to throw my bike in without having to take the wheels off.
Looks way cooler than all other trucks.

nope...go full size. That Silverado has more HP and gets as good or better fuel mileage. To me buying a midsized is like getting 3/4 of a truck and paying full price. Fuel mileage is an over exaggeration especially if you drive interstate speeds.

This is my experience so take the grain of salt...I had one of the early Gen3 Tacomas and spent the first year fighting with electronic and sunroof issues and the second year fighting with transmission and suspension problems. I had to trade it in at a huge loss because I couldn't get a buyer with a monthly repair history. At one point they said dust from "off roading" got into the suspension causing it to squeak and their fix was to wash the truck and spray graphite on the springs. Toyota would not lemon it because they could "fix" the issue. 2 friends also have Gen 3 Tacomas and both have their own problems but the major complaint is they get terrible mileage and if you're tall the way you sit in them makes the very uncomfortable for long trips

I switched from a 2011 Taco to a 2019 Silver-RAY-do this winter. More HP is nice and all but I miss my small truck, I went anywhere with that thing with little issues. That truck served me VERY well for close to a decade and I only had to change two ball joints on it (lifted+spacers+33in tires didn't help), in comparison, I've had two recalls on my Chev since xmas... I've changed my hunting style, I used to go down trails with my Taco and leave the ATV at home, now, I drive to the trail head, unload my ATV and give 'er. My next truck will most likely be another Tacoma unless something crazy comes out in the next five years. I sold my 9 yo Taco in December for 18,000 Canuck Dollars, that's INSANE all things considered, that thing was scratched, dented and had been to some intense places. I could've easily sold it for more if it were a city truck. Sold it to a company that buys trucks in Canada and sells them in the states. Somewhere in Montana (I think), someone will get a very beat up but reliable black 2011 Tacoma V6 with a black space cap, Dewalt roof rack, you sir, are a lucky man.

In terms of HP, I see no difference with the box loaded or empty with the Silverado, the Taco I could definitely tell when it was loaded with the ATV. In terms of pulling, I've hauled the same trailer, a 21 ft camper, with both trucks and here are my observations. The Silverado handles extremely well hauling a trailer, no doubt there, but the fuel mileage is just as bad as with my Taco. Hauling the RV with the Taco was definitely a rough ride but in terms of fuel mileage/travel speed I could do the same as my Silverado.

I switched from a 2011 Taco to a 2019 Silver-RAY-do this winter. More HP is nice and all but I miss my small truck, I went anywhere with that thing with little issues. That truck served me VERY well for close to a decade and I only had to change two ball joints on it (lifted+spacers+33in tires didn't help), in comparison, I've had two recalls on my Chev since xmas... I've changed my hunting style, I used to go down trails with my Taco and leave the ATV at home, now, I drive to the trail head, unload my ATV and give 'er. My next truck will most likely be another Tacoma unless something crazy comes out in the next five years. I sold my 9 yo Taco in December for 18,000 Canuck Dollars, that's INSANE all things considered, that thing was scratched, dented and had been to some intense places. I could've easily sold it for more if it were a city truck. Sold it to a company that buys trucks in Canada and sells them in the states. Somewhere in Montana (I think), someone will get a very beat up but reliable black 2011 Tacoma V6 with a black space cap, Dewalt roof rack, you sir, are a lucky man.

In terms of HP, I see no difference with the box loaded or empty with the Silverado, the Taco I could definitely tell when it was loaded with the ATV. In terms of pulling, I've hauled the same trailer, a 21 ft camper, with both trucks and here are my observations. The Silverado handles extremely well hauling a trailer, no doubt there, but the fuel mileage is just as bad as with my Taco. Hauling the RV with the Taco was definitely a rough ride but in terms of fuel mileage/travel speed I could do the same as my Silverado.
Those older Tacos are a superior product to the Gen 3 Tacos. The 2 are completely different rigs. I assumed that the OP was asking about a brand new Taco versus used Chevy so I'd have to do a caveat about my response.

I got a Z71 Colorado about 2.5 yrs ago. It's been pretty good. Only issue I have had was the turbo (I have the diesel) went out at about 20,000 miles. It was covered under warranty but the shop had it close to a week if I recall correctly. Other than that it has been great. The fuel mileage and range on the diesel is really nice. I average about 25 but I've put on larger Cooper AT3 tires, a topper with a roof rack and removed the air dam. I also usually have all sorts of gear in it. On flat country roads at 55 mph it'll go over 30 mpg. Once I hit 75 or so, mileage seems to drop off. It's decent off road, but I don't do anything too crazy. Probably not as good as an off road Tacoma. I plan on a lift at some point, however. The torque of the little diesel engine is really awesome too. Probably my favorite aspect of the truck. The other midsize trucks seem to have "car" engines that make torque and power really high in the rev band, which I really dislike in a truck. I don't want to have to gun it to get over a small rock.

I have the Crew Cab long bed and it is really just about the size of a full size, just narrower, which I like being in Colorado. I test drove a Gen3 Tacoma and couldn't get excited about it. Seemed to lack power and the transmission was always shifting. It was also not very comfortable as far as seating position. I tossed around getting a 2nd gen, but the ones I looked at were about as expensive as brand new, which really says something.

The dealerships in my area have not been very impressive, however and it has really put a bad taste in my mouth. Not getting things done on time, not calling me when things are taking longer than expected, full day oil changes, etc. Not to mention the turbocharger warranty where they had the truck for a week. My sister who has a Tacoma tells me she has been satisfied with the dealerships in our area. That alone makes me not want to recommend the Chevy, but all in all it has been a solid truck.

I have a Tacoma 4 dr. Great truck but the back seat is small. I love the truck but believe I will be getting either a full sized SUV or F150 in the near future. I wish there was a little more room in the Tacoma back seat or that the Tundra did better in crash tests.

For now...Looks like going to full size Ford.

If off road capability is important, the Colorado ZR2 Bison leaves the foreign rigs in the dust. mtmuley
That has been my dream truck since they have come out with the ZR2 package in 17 and then added the Bison package from AEV on top of the already awesome 😎 ZR2. Even though I recently got with a lady friend 3 months ago and she has a 19 month old we all can still fit in a mid size truck. Yes it only tows 5,000 lbs regardless if it’s gas ⛽️ or diesel and the gas mileage is in the 17-18 mpg range, but for going up some of those rocky backcountry roads it would be perfect. It has a better seating position than the Tacoma TRD Pro even though they finally added power front seats in the past model year. The Gladiator has practically no adjustability especially compared to the rest. The Ranger FX4 is comfortable and would be a good mid size truck option for a rig as well. I am glad that unlike the Chevy Colorado Z71 the Ranger FX4 made sure that they didn’t put a 5-6 inch air dam on the front of it ruining the ground clearance and approach angle. I recently paid off my compact sedan so that payment will go towards a down payment on a truck in a year.

That has been my dream truck since they have come out with the ZR2 package in 17 and then added the Bison package from AEV on top of the already awesome 😎 ZR2. Even though I recently got with a lady friend 3 months ago and she has a 19 month old we all can still fit in a mid size truck. Yes it only tows 5,000 lbs regardless if it’s gas ⛽ or diesel and the gas mileage is in the 17-18 mpg range, but for going up some of those rocky backcountry roads it would be perfect. It has a better seating position than the Tacoma TRD Pro even though they finally added power front seats in the past model year. The Gladiator has practically no adjustability especially compared to the rest. The Ranger FX4 is comfortable and would be a good mid size truck option for a rig as well. I am glad that unlike the Chevy Colorado Z71 the Ranger FX4 made sure that they didn’t put a 5-6 inch air dam on the front of it ruining the ground clearance and approach angle. I recently paid off my compact sedan so that payment will go towards a down payment on a truck in a year.
If you need more power and towing, wait for the supercharged ZRX. Based on the Silverado and coming in 2022 apparently. mtmuley

I have a Tacoma 4 dr. Great truck but the back seat is small. I love the truck but believe I will be getting either a full sized SUV or F150 in the near future. I wish there was a little more room in the Tacoma back seat or that the Tundra did better in crash tests.

For now...Looks like going to full size Ford.

Having a topper is great for a Tacoma as it allows for so much more storage for hunting gear. It seems to be a very common practice for hunters and fishermen in colorado.

I have an ‘06 Tacoma 4 door with 5’ bed and topper. For a hunting rig and work truck (i am a contractor/builder), it’s a super choice. Pulls my lumber/trash trailer great and plenty of room for my tools/gear.
But if you are pulling equipment (flatbed), going over mountains with more than a couple thousand lbs, or even a small trailer with a couple head of livestock, it is not adequate. For those instances, I borrow my dad’s ‘02 Silverado 2500HD and it doesn’t even blink at the load.
For narrow roads, the turning radius on the Tacoma is insane. ✅

Y'all are reading my mind. These are all good reads. Recently have been thinking of retiring my '07 Ram 1500 and perhaps downsizing now that the kids are gone.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back