Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Middle Fork elk

the nikster

Fellas, (ladies as well)
I'm lookin into hunting the lower Middle Fork unit for elk next year, specifically unit 27.
Yes, I will contact my friends up near Salmon to pic their brains and I will check with the F&G biologist but I would like real world information. My buds in Salmon will say the wolves ate all the elk-biologist will say the wolves have made little to no impact on elk.
What do you folks hear/know about densities? I know that access is tough but I have legs and a boat.
I was noticing on the F&G website that I can find hunter success for draws but am unable to find #'s for general seasons. Where else do I look?
Is there a realistic chance at a deer as well?
I will rifle hunt if that makes a difference.
Any thoughts? Feel free to be sneaky if needed (IM)
Thanks

What area do you mean by lower Middle Fork? I hunted the Thomas Creek area last year if that is any help, although I'm guessing it's considered upper Middle Fork.

I've worked in a lot of the Middle Fork Country, IMO, I personally wouldnt hunt elk there. I dont mind steep country, and I'm not afraid to hike, but that country is as difficult as I've ever worked in. Its just steep, rocky, mean country.

I've seen elk in there, a few deer, a few sheep, and some black bears. Nothing special enough to ever make me want to hunt it though.

Never did see a wolf, but saw tracks and found a few dead elk in Marble Creek and Little Loon which I assumed were either winter kills or wolf kills...likely a few of each.

Good luck if you decide to go.

Buzz - I assume you were in the country during the summer. I was in there for 15 days sheep hunting one late October and in again deer/elk hunting another late October. I've talked to many hunters who haven't seen much in September. With a little weather, the animals start to move towards the river fronts in October and concentrate. In 2007 during my sheep hunt that had some early snow storms, I saw some monster mule deer and plenty of elk but no huge bulls. l saw over a 1,000 deer and hundreds of elk in 15 days of glassing.

Last year we killed two cows for meat on the second day after watching a herd of 60 without any bulls. I was "guiding" my dad and told him I'd follow his lead. He just wanted an elk so I killed mine at the same time so we could deer hunt together. I never saw a buck worth shooting during our trip.

I agree with you that there are better places to elk hunt. It's still a good place to deer hunt but you're gambling on the weather pushing deer into the river front country. Hunting in the Middle Fork, to me, is more for the experience than the quality of the hunt. I love the Middle Fork and plan to go back soon.

I'd thought it might be nice to try to chase a bull during the rut. I am getting tired of the punkin patch that is general season anymore. I took my old bow 2 years ago. Drove to the end of the road and hiked about 5 miles in to pristine wilderness. Before I got my camp setup I had another archer come walking down the trail. Thought I might avoid a similar situation but I'd also like to see game on the hunt!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back