Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Metalworking Hunttalkers!

If you can use a toaster you can use a buzz box. It’s the same thing.

You plug it in, flip a switch, and adjust a dial.

Just because you made your first piece of burnt toast doesn’t make you a chef.

Same with welding, making your first arc and chicken scratch doesn’t make you a professional.

All those professionals first time they were at the operating level of a toaster. He is not even a first timer yet. Explaining something is idiot proof gives confidence to new people to start the learning process.
Great comparison. Just start off with a decent toaster.
A problem is if you say "even an idiot can do it" could cause a little defeat issue when he actually didn't quite make edible toast.

Great comparison. Just start off with a decent toaster.
A problem is if you say "even an idiot can do it" could cause a little defeat issue when he actually didn't quite make edible toast.
Oh, but I specifically asked for an idiot proof place to start!

I make good toast, so welding should be a breeze, right? ;)

Just curious as I really have no idea - which is easier to lay a nice bead with for basic welding, stick or MIG? In my mind MIG would be a little easier, but maybe that’s just because stick is still alluding me some and I haven’t done any MIG yet.
IMG_20230519_155304485_HDR.jpg

My basic hobby welding setup... The additional tanks are not necessary, they're for aluminum and stainless steel.
I had an earlier model Miller and wanted something equivalent that I can transport and connect to a generator.
This is a 211 Millermatic (Inverter tech is a nice compliment)
Comes with the mig gun, etc.
It's attached to my 150 aluminum spool gun currently and I really like the quick ability to swap guns and get back to welding.

Still seems a bit pricey though as one says, "you get what you pay for".

There's other good mig setups from ESAB to Lincoln. All I can say though, it's fun as chit moving puddles of metal.

Aluminum is one area I'd love to get into for stuff at home.

I dig the lightweight strength of aluminum. Fun for tinker projects.

I am really enjoying my Titanium Mig170 (around $500) on a 220v plug. Works very well. I have been very impressed with the beads I'm able to run. Building the caged ends for the dog kennel with rebar and the thing works great. Even on just some quality flux wire it lays down a dang good bead.

Lots of great welding tips here.

Does anyone on this thread have any advice for cutting thicker sheet metal (14 ga or heavier) by manual means?

IE, without a stomp shear or a hydro?

Does anyone on this thread have any advice for cutting thicker sheet metal (14 ga or heavier) by manual means?

4 1/2-5" grinder with slim cut disc
A quality slim cut disc from your welding supply, this is not something I'd do with a general purpose harbor freight death wheel

I'm guessing no plasma cutter and you don't want to use an angle grinder?
Wish I had a plasma, or a laser! Pipe dreams. If I could get a very precise line a grinder would work, I think. Would have to play around with it I suppose. With practice, could I get a very tight and precise cut on something up to 4 ft?

Wish I had a plasma, or a laser! Pipe dreams. If I could get a very precise line a grinder would work, I think. Would have to play around with it I suppose. With practice, could I get a very tight and precise cut on something up to 4 ft?
It's a little tedious but yeah it's possible. You can always cut it fat and grind it to your dimension.

I have a Miller plasma at home and still use the grinder for sheet metal if it's only a handful of cuts. I've never had any fitment issues or more than a .030 variation in the desired size. If you are going to use the "cut it fat and grind" method ( I do not), then make sure you have a good piece of angle iron or flat stock to clamp to the sheet metal to as a guide for cleaning it up with a high grit flap disc. Otherwise, it's going to be the same as trying to level table legs with a hand saw...

Just out of curiosity, what are you building?

I have a Miller plasma at home and still use the grinder for sheet metal if it's only a handful of cuts. I've never had any fitment issues or more than a .030 variation in the desired size. If you are going to use the "cut it fat and grind" method ( I do not), then make sure you have a good piece of angle iron or flat stock to clamp to the sheet metal to as a guide for cleaning it up with a high grit flap disc. Otherwise, it's going to be the same as trying to level table legs with a hand saw...

Just out of curiosity, what are you building?
I've had a storage prototype idea rolling around upstairs for a while, going to get cracking on it soon.

I'm not one of the skilled gurus... just a hobby player though, how about oxy/acetylene cutting tip torch? Too much for the thickness? A tad rough for the cut line though depending on the need...?
I use it on occasion more for 3/8+ though. Asking the weld workers. I'd imagine there's a reason this option was not offered. For my work, cutting wheels are 90% of my cutting.

I'm not one of the skilled gurus... just a hobby player though, how about oxy/acetylene cutting tip torch? Too much for the thickness? A tad rough for the cut line though depending on the need...?
I use it on occasion more for 3/8+ though. Asking the weld workers. I'd imagine there's a reason this option was not offered. For my work, cutting wheels are 90% of my cutting.
Yeah I’m more familiar with precision sheet metal although I did hold a project manager position in an architectural metals contract shop. Not a skilled tradesman by along shot, but which some of you seem to be.

I just more so assumed that if he was asking for suggestions he didn't have access to a torch.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back