Metalworking Hunttalkers!

Hey, I've got a couple small welding projects to dink around with but don't have a welding table. What would any of you recommend for a hobby welding newb?
Check Facebook marketplace and think creatively. The TV carts that schools used to use, actual welding tables, enough scrap material to make a table -- all of that can be found on there.

Check Facebook marketplace and think creatively. The TV carts that schools used to use, actual welding tables, enough scrap material to make a table -- all of that can be found on there.
Been looking.....have seen some stuff but nothing that makes me take notice....yet.

I like that table idea. Might swing over to home depot. My table just has a steel top. the rest of it is wooden and covered up with welding cloth so we dont start fires haha.

C6AB9656-8A93-4615-8E28-83FF05ED982E.jpeg
Nothing special but way functional. Perfect hook angle, placement, and length. The overall is a little over 4 feet long and prevents me from burning my arm hair off. Salvaged up an old piece of wood from a zip line build in Jamaica for the handle

Fun little project today except for the MIG welder deciding it didn't want to work right anymore. 3 camp fire grills for a church camp. Cut all the miters with an angle grinder and was pretty happy with the fit. View attachment 277403View attachment 277404
Some days I'm lucky if my miter cuts are that good with my chop saw, nice work.

Bummer about your mig welder, hope you get it figured it out. That's the one thing that turns me off about them is they are so finicky sometimes. Between a bad trigger switch, kinked liner, board wacking out....the list goes on.

Bummer about your mig welder, hope you get it figured it out. That's the one thing that turns me off about them is they are so finicky sometimes. Between a bad trigger switch, kinked liner, board wacking out....the list goes on.
Hobby class welders can be a bit "temperamental".

Yeah this is an old LTEC and is really about ready for the glue factory. We just don't do enough mig work at the shop to upgrade.

Hobby class welders can be a bit "temperamental".
I've gone through a couple that burnt up the boards , they ended up being cheaper to replace than repair.

I will say I've ran plenty of miller 252 and lincoln 256's in shops that gave me headaches as well. It's probably why I do most of my work in the field with an engine drive stick welder.

My go to machine in the shop is my old Lincoln Idealarc SP 200. It does stitch as well as spot. I've run everything from .025 wire through .072 dual shield with it. Someday it may poop. When it does I'll either repair or replace with the same critter. I have a couple other machines. SP 175 that I can't remember the last time I plugged it in and a Lincoln Precision Tig 225. If I'm so unlucky as to have to go fix something in the field my old Ranger 9 and LN 7 or the .068 suitcase welder goes for a ride.

.072 dual shield
Hobby welder Q:
If I understand, the .072 dual is .035 wire(?). If that is the case;
Not questioning your use of such, is there better shielding than gas with the dual?

I'm not sure I completely understand your question.
There's hard wire that requires a shielding gas. There's inner shield that provides its own shielding gas and Dual Shield that provides its own but still requires added gas through the nozzle.

Dual Shield that provides its own but still requires added gas through the nozzle.
Ahhh, that answers my Q. I thought (never used) dual shielding was a dual layer of shielding on the wire w/o gas. Thanks. Makes sense now.

Back