Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Metalworking Hunttalkers!

I picked up a new welder this weekend. Titanium MIG 170. Yea yea yea make fun of the harbor freight welder all you want. It welds better then my ol Lincoln MIG ever did. Especially on a 50 amp circuit. Got it setup this last Saturday and wow this thing is pretty well built.

Well I hit time and a half today. Still 2 long days left this week. The bad news is that we are behind schedule, partly because there was another section of piping that also had to tie into the pumps that we weren't told about. The good news is that problems with other systems have pushed the restart date back so we gave some breathing room. I'm doing most of the fitting while my boss does the welding. I have been getting to weld some ferrules on though. 20230510_090821.jpg

Well I hit time and a half today. Still 2 long days left this week. The bad news is that we are behind schedule, partly because there was another section of piping that also had to tie into the pumps that we weren't told about. The good news is that problems with other systems have pushed the restart date back so we gave some breathing room. I'm doing most of the fitting while my boss does the welding. I have been getting to weld some ferrules on though. View attachment 275499
Is this a bottling facility?

Well I hit time and a half today. Still 2 long days left this week. The bad news is that we are behind schedule, partly because there was another section of piping that also had to tie into the pumps that we weren't told about. The good news is that problems with other systems have pushed the restart date back so we gave some breathing room. I'm doing most of the fitting while my boss does the welding. I have been getting to weld some ferrules on though.
does your bosses welds look better then yours? Looks like you know what your doing.

does your bosses welds look better then yours? Looks like you know what your doing.
1) he's certified and I'm not yet, which matters as these are product lines
2) ferrules are the easiest welds to make because the extra material helps manage the heat and the face is almost always square
3) I'm a better fitter than I am a welder so when there's only two of you on the job, you do what you're best at. Once I get a fit tacked up, he welds it and I'm working on the next fit.

Well I hit time and a half today. Still 2 long days left this week. The bad news is that we are behind schedule, partly because there was another section of piping that also had to tie into the pumps that we weren't told about. The good news is that problems with other systems have pushed the restart date back so we gave some breathing room. I'm doing most of the fitting while my boss does the welding. I have been getting to weld some ferrules on though. View attachment 275499
That's the quality of an automated circular welder. That's some fantastic welding! Almost indistinguishable!
Very nice.

That's the quality of an automated circular welder. That's some fantastic welding! Almost indistinguishable!
Very nice.
Thanks. If you look closely you can see the tell-tale marks of walking the cup but nothing you can do to avoid that (other than freehanding it, which wouldn't look so consistent)

Thanks. If you look closely you can see the tell-tale marks of walking the cup but nothing you can do to avoid that (other than freehanding it, which wouldn't look so consistent)
whatever dude, walk that cup. As long as its sealed up and solid. Normal humans would ever even notice.

whatever dude, walk that cup. As long as its sealed up and solid. Normal humans would ever even notice.
Oh trust me, I'm very happy with the welds I'm making. I know some things that I need to improve on, but overall my welds are as good as or better than most of the stuff we replace.

Believe it or not, some pharmaceutical and nuclear jobs won't let you walk the cup because of those track marks.

Oh trust me, I'm very happy with the welds I'm making. I know some things that I need to improve on, but overall my welds are as good as or better than most of the stuff we replace.

Believe it or not, some pharmaceutical and nuclear jobs won't let you walk the cup because of those track marks.
im surprised with pharmaceutical, but nuclear makes sense. Not a whole lot of room for error in that line of work.

im surprised with pharmaceutical, but nuclear makes sense. Not a whole lot of room for error in that line of work.
Yeah lots of pharma jobs don't allow files or wire brushes either. Nothing that could scratch the tubing. Stands can't allow carbon steel to contact the stainless. They don't mess around either.

Looks as though the steel was doubled to reinforce - to no avail. Heh! Must be some heavy angled pressure.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back