Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Metalworking Hunttalkers!

Finally finished the tank alley job today. 60 hours last week and another 20 this week. 7 pumps in total, 5 tanks. Each tank had 5 connections that had to be made from 2 points. Lots of fitting, lots of swings. 20230516_171216.jpg20230516_171210.jpg

An example of the one spot where a single pipe has to make 3 different swings for various inlets and outlets:
20230516_171236.jpg

Oh, and I also got a free second to try marking a piece of tubing (we sometimes have to do that so that operators know which piece goes where).20230516_155103.jpg

Some mighty fine welding here. I'm a self taught stick welder. I have an old Marquet A/C welder, it get's me by on the repairs I need to do. If I spend time welding a lot, I get better. But I could go for 6 months and never strike an arc. I bought a 135 120V MIG, I struggle with it, flux core only. Like with a stick, if I spend time with it, it gets better. I made a few lead melting pots by cutting R22 freon tanks, and weld a section of the body at the bottom. A very good ground makes a difference, plus a automatic helmet.

But my other metal work is by machine. I have a 14x40 Acer lathe and a Grizzly knee mill. I used to do a fair amount of barrel work and stock work on bench guns. I mostly just do my own now, but I enjoy the metal machines!

Some mighty fine welding here. I'm a self taught stick welder. I have an old Marquet A/C welder, it get's me by on the repairs I need to do. If I spend time welding a lot, I get better. But I could go for 6 months and never strike an arc. I bought a 135 120V MIG, I struggle with it, flux core only. Like with a stick, if I spend time with it, it gets better. I made a few lead melting pots by cutting R22 freon tanks, and weld a section of the body at the bottom. A very good ground makes a difference, plus a automatic helmet.

But my other metal work is by machine. I have a 14x40 Acer lathe and a Grizzly knee mill. I used to do a fair amount of barrel work and stock work on bench guns. I mostly just do my own now, but I enjoy the metal machines!
Highly recommend the anti splatter spray and the nozzle gel. Helps a ton with the flux wire feeders.

Also ive found the 220v Flux migs are much better. for whatever reason the 120v only migs just make a giant mess. If that is not an option for you I highly recommend the spray an gel and you will notice a difference in a huge way.

Anybody here know about sheet metal brakes? If I could find one that could bend 14 gauge for a deal I’d seriously consider buying it.

This might’ve already been said on here, but anyone have any recommendations for the most entry level, even an idiot could do it kind of set up? Preferably in the sub $200 range? Does such a thing even exist?

Highly recommend the anti splatter spray and the nozzle gel. Helps a ton with the flux wire feeders.

Also ive found the 220v Flux migs are much better. for whatever reason the 120v only migs just make a giant mess. If that is not an option for you I highly recommend the spray an gel and you will notice a difference in a huge way.
I had not heard of those but I will certainly give them a try. Thanks!

This might’ve already been said on here, but anyone have any recommendations for the most entry level, even an idiot could do it kind of set up? Preferably in the sub $200 range? Does such a thing even exist?
You get what you pay for and for that money you may get an old stick welder.

Any idiot can stick weld with practice. It won’t look the greatest and may be chicken scratch but it’s a start. You will need a 220 outlet for those.

If you want to get into wire welding you will need to double your budget at a minimum.

You get what you pay for and for that money you may get an old stick welder.

Any idiot can stick weld with practice. It won’t look the greatest and may be chicken scratch but it’s a start. You will need a 220 outlet for those.

If you want to get into wire welding you will need to double your budget at a minimum.
Really? You think that welding is such an easy job that any idiot can do it? I know a lot of qualified welders and I'll guarantee none of them are idiots. That's pretty insulting to the skilled men and women who are welders.

Really? You think that welding is such an easy job that any idiot can do it? I know a lot of qualified welders and I'll guarantee none of them are idiots. That's pretty insulting to the skilled men and women who are welders.
I believe he was referring to a certain type of welding that has a low barrier to entry. Likely not the method professionals use. No one was literally calling anyone an idiot.

I'll let it go at that. Somehow stick welding is considered the bottom of the pile. Actually stick welding has been and is the#1 for pipe welding. I'm not talking about the medical or food grade stainless Tig welding but the in the ditch pipe welding. Stainless Tig is a whole different level of expertise.

Just curious as I really have no idea - which is easier to lay a nice bead with for basic welding, stick or MIG? In my mind MIG would be a little easier, but maybe that’s just because stick is still alluding me some and I haven’t done any MIG yet.

Easy there titan, words without the in person physical expressions, while around a campfire, can easily be misconstrued.

Just curious as I really have no idea - which is easier to lay a nice bead with for basic welding, stick or MIG? In my mind MIG would be a little easier, but maybe that’s just because stick is still alluding me some and I haven’t done any MIG yet.
If $ is not a major factor, I think mig with gas shielding is a great means to gain good beads from basic welding understanding.
It's subject to personal experience.

Each of the processes has its own challenges and things that make it easier. Stick is tough because you have to read the puddle and the slag pool at the same time, you also have to maintain rod angle and arc length while the rod itself is getting shorter as you weld. It also throws sparks. It's easier though because you aren't worried about gas coverage and can get into a lot of tight spots with it. And 6010 will stick almost anything together, even paint and rust.

Tig is tough because it requires a steady hand and for both hands (and a foot if you're using a pedal) to all act independently of one another. It also requires very clean metal. It's easier though because you can very clearly see and manipulate the puddle and there's no sparks getting thrown.

Mig is generally regarded as the easiest type of welding but it does have some challenges. First, it doesn't tolerate dirty metal that well, second, dialing in your settings can be tough if you aren't experienced, and third you're constantly depositing metal so you have to anticipate the puddle and how it will burn in. It's easy though because you get to use both hands to steady yourself and the arc is pretty much taken care of for you.

The process that most at-home hobby welders would find most useful would be MIG. Not Flux core, but actual mig. With a gas bottle. If you want a cheap welder to just try it out, one of the cheap 110 inverter stick welders is the best choice in my opinion. They'll run 3/32 7018 and 3/32 or 1/8 6010 (although most seem to like 6011 better) and you can weld a whole lot of things with that combo (just not as quickly as you would be able to with a bigger mig machine).

Last edited:
If you just want to get your feet wet and get hood time find an old lincoln tombstone welder. You'll need a 220v plug but they are cheap, bullet proof welders that will probably outlive you. The older ones are ac output only but you can still run 6011, 6013 and 7018ac rods with it. If you want mig I'd look for a used hobart 140. They are a bare bones transformer mig welder made in the USA and will serve your needs well if you're not needing to weld anything real heavy and have little home projects or repairs in mind.

If you can use a toaster you can use a buzz box. It’s the same thing.

You plug it in, flip a switch, and adjust a dial.

Just because you made your first piece of burnt toast doesn’t make you a chef.

Same with welding, making your first arc and chicken scratch doesn’t make you a professional.

All those professionals first time they were at the operating level of a toaster. He is not even a first timer yet. Explaining something is idiot proof gives confidence to new people to start the learning process.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back