Meat Seasonings

2rocky

Thought Id get another Food thread going. Curious what spice/seasoning rub mixes are your go to when you prepare meat on the grill.

Here is my favorite so far...

2.jpg

Thought Id get another Food thread going. Curious what spice/seasoning rub mixes are your go to when you prepare meat on the grill.

2.jpg
I like pappy's on burgers. I did a rub for a pork shoulder I smoked a couple weeks ago.

-1/8 cup paprika
-1/8 cup salt
-1/8 cup seasoned salt
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-2 tablespoons of garlic powder
-1 tablespoon onion powder
-1 tablespoon black pepper.

That's enough for two shoulders about 13.5 pounds.

I think it was a good base for a pork shoulder and other large meat cuts but I probably would add more sugar since I like a sweeter pork, but that shoulder came out great!

Spade L is my go to, but I recently tried some Famous Dave’s rib rub on some black bear and I was happy with the results.

15922618249552389207670312270990.jpg

I believe my wife purchase this from Costco. Of anything commercially sold this is epic!

2.jpg

I have used Pappy's for years, works good on Tri-tip, Chicken, Pork ribs, Wild game, Eggs and most other stuff. Me and the Better Half owned a restaurant for a few years and this was the go to seasoning for everything that went on the bbq/smoker. Friend of mine uses it for catering when he cooks for RMEF banquets. You can order it by the case from them & the price was pretty good last I checked.

I have been using a lot of www.alpinetouch.com/ lately. Mostly there pepper blends. Made in Montana..

Steaks and salmon usually get Montreal Steak Seasoning. Steaks also get a splash of Worcestershire. Pork chops get a Cajun blend like Emeril Lagasse's Essence. Burgers it varies. Chicken varies upon my mood as well.

I like Hyvee meat tenderizer seasoning + garlic for deer. Old bay for fish. Or mix it up and use dry mustard, cayenne, fresh mixed peppercorn, and salt - especially good with waterfowl. Squirrel and rabbit I use thyme, rosemary, tarragon, and black pepper.

For any steaks, just salt and pepper. For stuff I smoke (mostly pork), I’m constantly tweaking my rub ingredients. But one thing I always include is lots of smoked paprika. It’s noticeably better than regular paprika and usually makes up at least half of the rub. I go easy on the brown sugar. And I spritz often during cooking with apple cider. Other standard things are garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ground black pepper, a small amount of cayenne or chili powder, crushed red pepper. I usually salt the meat before applying the rub.

For all of my venison I use Yardbird on one side and Montreal steak seasoning on the other side. The Yardbird had a little brown sugar with a touch of heat. Great compliment to the steak rub

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200615-231132_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200615-231132_Chrome.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 0
My wife is from North-Central Wyoming and this was a staple in her family when I met her. It has become one of my most used seasonings in venison and even eggs, veggies, or potatoes. It’s good stuff!

Here's the sweet rub I use for pork ribs:

• 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Goes great on anything.

Malcom Reed has some good stuff. I generally make my own AP (Salt Pepper Garlic), but try to support him from time to time.

I also use Montreal Steak Seasoning which is mostly Salt, Pepper, Garlic.... I'll also make rubs with Salt Pepper Garlic as the base and sometimes add variations of cayenne, paprika (sweet or smoked), onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and/or chipoltle depending on what I want.

Back