Yeti GOBOX Collection

Poor folks supper

Have you ever heard the term poor folks supper?

• Yes

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters

np307

Just like my meatloaf sammich thread, I'm curious as to whether this term/dish is a southern thing or a general American thing. I believe this one is a true southern staple, so here we go. Do you know what a poor folks supper is? I'll let the thread breathe a little then I'll post a picture.

We ate them several nights each week. I think she was trying to run us off. Only thing worse than pinto beans is when people put mayo and chow-chow in them.

Today I accidentally opened a leftover container of refried pintos from when we had tacos last night. I had the same reaction as when you pass roadkill with the windows down.

They've all but disappeared now, but there used to be actual events called poor folks suppers, sometimes held by a fire department of vfw as a fundraiser. The meal itself was often called the same. In the strictest sense, it was just pintos and cornbread. The beans were usually seasoned with a ham bone and the cornbread was usually made in a cast iron skillet. It wouldn't be uncommon to have slaw and/or chow-chow with the beans.

As a kid I can remember dreading that big pot of beans cooking down, because it meant we were eating on that for most of the week. The cornbread was the thing that always made it tolerable to me. Some broken up in the bowl with the beans spooned over, and a piece on the side with plenty of butter. Never felt like poor folks with that second slice of cornbread.

Tonight, we're definitely better off than the people that ate beans because they didn't have anything else. The beans are seasoned with a ham bone from an antelope ham I cured for Thanksgiving. No chow-chow but I had an onion that needed to be used so I diced it up and put it on top of my bowl. And you better believe I'm going back for an extra piece of cornbread. 20231204_194206.jpg

Never knew of chow-chow before. Mrs kansasdad has started a dive down the chow-chow rabbit hole, I see this in my future.

Southern kimchi?

They've all but disappeared now, but there used to be actual events called poor folks suppers, sometimes held by a fire department of vfw as a fundraiser. The meal itself was often called the same. In the strictest sense, it was just pintos and cornbread. The beans were usually seasoned with a ham bone and the cornbread was usually made in a cast iron skillet. It wouldn't be uncommon to have slaw and/or chow-chow with the beans.

As a kid I can remember dreading that big pot of beans cooking down, because it meant we were eating on that for most of the week. The cornbread was the thing that always made it tolerable to me. Some broken up in the bowl with the beans spooned over, and a piece on the side with plenty of butter. Never felt like poor folks with that second slice of cornbread.

Tonight, we're definitely better off than the people that ate beans because they didn't have anything else. The beans are seasoned with a ham bone from an antelope ham I cured for Thanksgiving. No chow-chow but I had an onion that needed to be used so I diced it up and put it on top of my bowl. And you better believe I'm going back for an extra piece of cornbread. View attachment 304751
You had me until the raw onions.

We ate pinto beans and cornbread regularly while growing up. SOS too.

I had a good childhood with a mom and dad that made certain my brother and I knew we were loved and fed.

Had no idea these weren’t meals every family ate when sitting at the table together.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back