Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Important Cultural Survey

What is your association with the meatloaf sandwich?

• Never heard of it

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Heard of it, never had it

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Have eaten one

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Regularly eat them

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters

np307

Alright, I made a venison meatloaf Monday so that means my lunch every day at work this week has been a meatloaf sandwich. This has spawned some discussions as to the regional presence of this delicacy across the country. Please respond in this thread with your region of the country to help enlighten me as to whether this is a southern specialty or a general American cuisine.

And if you've never had a meatloaf sandwich, I pity you greatly.

Honest Truth: I remember the first meatloaf sandwich I ever had. It was also the first open faced sandwich I ever had. I was probably 10.

I am the son of a man who collected very fancy leather holsters. A gentleman in Wilsall, Montana made them, and my father ordered one. We drove from Clancy to Wilsall by way of White Sulphur Springs. It was summer and the highway from White Sulphur had numerous dead rattlesnakes that had been run over on it. My dad stopped at every one and removed their rattles. He picked up his holster, and took me to some restaurant in Wilsall. I remember it being pretty run down, but on the menu was a meatloaf sandwich. As a product of meatloaf who happened to be built like a meatball, I ordered it. It came open faced - in my mind at the time it was half a sandwich. But where the top piece of bread would be on a typical sandwich, a solid inch of thick gravy protected the meatloaf. I loved it, and have loved them since - both open faced and traditional.

I actually just ordered a meatloaf burger for dinner

Edit/update: it was excellent!

Last edited:
Isn't a meatloaf sandwich just a uniquely flavored burger? 🤣

That said I crave an old school meatloaf about once a month.
Listen here, if you mix egg and breadcrumb into your burger mix then we can't be friends. Burgers should be a loose, coarse grind not mixed heavily as to avoid toughening them.

Although I grind as little as possible, an antelope burger meatloaf is pretty amazing. mtmuley
I used to try not to grind very much meat but with both my wife and I working full time and an almost 2-year-old, ground meat is by far the easiest thing to thaw and make for supper.

North of the MEDICINE LINE, its a common meal up here,. we like ketchup on ours......
I did have ground pork/black bear sausages and eggs for breakfast.........but its hard to beat a nice meatloaf sammie when you are hungry !!!!!! hot fresh ground black coffee too.

Listen here, if you mix egg and breadcrumb into your burger mix then we can't be friends. Burgers should be a loose, coarse grind not mixed heavily as to avoid toughening them.
Burgers are served off the grill ni more done than medium...meatloaf is served out of the oven with either ketchup or BBQ sauce the last 15 minutes. Consistency is not my fault 🤣

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back