Antelope steaks, whats your favorite

Jamen

A family friend was not expecting to draw his antelope tag this past fall takes 10 plus years and he did it in 4. Anyway life circumstances had him overseas so he couldn't take the meat with him. I ended up with animal and the meat. Does anyone have a favorite recipe?? I've never had antelope before so curious to what everyone here does.

I left the backstraps whole. My current thought process is this. Season with thyme, rosemary, pepper, garlic and pan sear it in a cast iron pan. While the meat is resting delglaze the pan with red wine, then a bit of beef broth and a tab of butter to make a glaze and pour that over roasted potatoes.

Im open to all suggestions! That is just my current idea.

Only bad tasting antelope I have ever had was one that someone else killed and didn't take care of it quickly. I have found that as soon as you get it killed get the meat cooled down in game bags. As far as cooking steaks goes I use sea salt, grill to medium rare and as soon as they come off the grill put my favorite steak seasoning on it and let it set for a few minutes.

Thin layer of high heat oil, and seasoning (Montreal Steak seasoning is my favorite), vacuum seal and toss into the water bath (sous vide) to 129F, then sear/crust on screaming hot grill or cast iron skillet. Rest, slice and serve.

Your recipe sounds spot on, although I’d just salt and pepper to start and then add the other aromatics (fresh thyme, rosemary, garlic) when you deglaze.

Ive never done the second half of the recipe, but I seasoned exactly as you said with minced garlic and put in the smoker for 1-1.5 hours on low around 165 and then finish on high until it hits internal temp (like 155 I think)
Let it rest and it came out super super good! This is a whole backstrap folded and tied.

Attachments

• 8155459B-11EE-49A3-BC75-01AFBB5492EB.jpeg
    8155459B-11EE-49A3-BC75-01AFBB5492EB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • F8476947-D13E-4329-8310-A53BC415B81C.jpeg
    F8476947-D13E-4329-8310-A53BC415B81C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Marinate the meat in a gallon sized ziploc bag with olive oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic and onion (powder, salt, dried, whatever) for 10 to 15 minutes. Grill to rare or medium rare. I grill all my big game this way. Haven't found a better option.

smoke it at 225 till it gets to an internal temp of 140, we don't put anything but salt, pepper, and garlic on it. all the antelope l have eaten have been amazing with no gamey taste to hide. or just fry it in butter with pepper and garlic put it with fried potatoes and that is my favorite meal.

Antelope is our family favorite. As long as you take care of it right in the field it is delicious. We treat it just like Whitetail.

First Way: Roll in flour and fry in a cast iron skillet at medium to medium high with butter and olive oil to medium rare. No more done than that, then salt and pepper.

Second Way: Depending on the amount of steaks you have beat eggs in a glass or plastic bowl, not metal mixing in some milk with the egg. Put your thawed steaks into the bowl and cover and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours if you have the time. If not that's not a big deal although it does help make the steaks more tender and it helps remove the wild game taste if there is any.

Crush a whole tube of Ritz crackers in the tube and then pour the crushed crackers onto a plate. Have butter and olive oil heated to medium high in a skillet (cast iron preferred). Swoosh a steak around in the mixture that has been removed from the fridge and then dip quickly into the cracker crumbs and then into the skillet. Do same with the remaining steaks of antelope. Toss the steaks into the pan and cook until medium rare and NO MORE DONE than that. The outer steak pieces will be light brown in color when they are done. Might take a couple times doing this until you can tell when they are getting cooked enough and not overcooked. Salt and pepper and enjoy. This also works great for deer or elk also.

Marinate the meat in a gallon sized ziploc bag with olive oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic and onion (powder, salt, dried, whatever) for 10 to 15 minutes. Grill to rare or medium rare. I grill all my big game this way. Haven't found a better option.
^^basically the same as this + a nice chimichurri. I like Hank Shaw's recipe but swap red wine vinegar for the lime juice and add a tablespoon or so of honey. Did that with an elk tenderloin on Thanksgiving for the in-laws.

Marinade recipe: https://therecipecritic.com/worlds-best-steak-marinade/
Chimichurri: https://honest-food.net/chimichurri-recipe-venison/

Attachments

• Thanksgiving.jpg
    Thanksgiving.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 3
Back