May CPW Commission meeting

With all due (public trust doctrine) respect.

You are a CO nonresident. Who cares ?

From one nonresident to another.
I wouldn’t necessarily say I care. The state is acting on behalf of its residents which is completely fine by me.
I just made the personal error of getting trapped in that no mans land point range and I’d like to get my points used up. The new allocation splits will probably just increase the minimum points required for NR even the lower units.
I have been treading water ever since I started. My goal was to draw a 3 point unit at the time and now it’s up to 8 points. It’s just point creep.

That’s a long way of me saying I recognize I made the decision to get sucked into the point dilemma in CO. I don’t really care though. Im not losing sleep over it. It will eventually work out while I continue to hunt off the leftover list.

The more I think about it, the more I’m coming around to a suggestion I’ve heard a few times: get an A tag, lose your points. If someone really wants a super high end tag, then let them only buy points. No otc, no leftover, etc while adding points

Additionally if the state does seriously consider a hybrid draw, it’s going to have to also go to a more equitable 90-10

And that’s how we found ourselves here in the first place.
I agree. I wish the rules where changed that you can’t get an A list tag while keeping points but I’m not about to sit on the sidelines just because of a faulty system.
About the time I try to be a pioneer and do the right thing someone from Hushin’ or Elk 101 will just grab the tag anyways to make more online content.

Reactions: Oak
but I’m not about to sit on the sidelines just because of a faulty system.

take as much advantage as you can, you should. we're able to do - and i do - the same things as residents even if we think they should change.

i think the move to 75/25 is the canary in the coal mine for NRs. I think R's will start getting some of the changes we really want. but it's still going to take some time.

Last edited:
R/NR allocation proposal: 75/25 across the Board (CPW's recommendation) or 80/20 for high demand units, up to 65/35 for lower demand units. Landowner vouchers got to R/NR 50/50. CPW said residents lose 5% or high demand tags, gain much higher % of lower demand tags. Logistically it is technologically possible to make those allocations. 2 commissioners asked why backtrack from 80/20 to 75/25 the same year it was decided. CPW said 75/25 is a fairer compromise.
Public comments:
Outfitters: This is a social, not a biological proposal. Our NR outfitted clients bring $ to poor communities, Rs do not. Opposed.
Criticism of CPW survey: biased as constructed, gave misleading results. Most states are 90/10. Eliminating hybrid licenses gives 5% more to NRs. R elk hunter #s are declining while NRs are up 25%, due to difficulty drawing quality tags. Outfitters on Board do not represent resident hunters.
CBA supports 80/20 for high demand. 75/25 for others including OTC. Legislators are trying to make this decision based on input from their resident constituents.
Com. Otero supports 80/20 for high demand tags, 75/25 for others, noted residents contribute through state taxes. Resident ratio increase long overdue. Motion for 80/20 for high demand tags, 75/25 for the rest. Passed, barely.
especially after most of us received our updated property valuations (and implied tax implications) this week 🤦🏻‍♂️ Talk about supporting the local economy ha

especially after most of us received our updated property valuations (and implied tax implications) this week 🤦🏻‍♂️ Talk about supporting the local economy ha

ugh, i'm dreading that piece of mail.

i'm gonna contest the chit out of it. i already know my house wouldn't sell at the price they're gonna tell me it's worth anymore

The more I think about it, the more I’m coming around to a suggestion I’ve heard a few times: get an A tag, lose your points. If someone really wants a super high end tag, then let them only buy points. No otc, no leftover, etc while adding points

Additionally if the state does seriously consider a hybrid draw, it’s going to have to also go to a more equitable 90-10
I have been on this bandwagon for a bit now. I really do think this would help out with the point creep and would make a person decide if they want to go after the high end tags or hunt more often with OTC/low point tags.

It’s worth going back and watching the pp banking presentation by Matt Eckert and Danielle Isenhart. They laid out in the clearest terms why banking does not benefit the vast majority of CPW customers. It was like it just didn’t matter to a couple of the commissioners.
Would it be worth writing to those commissioners specifically? Feels like a waste of time and money to keep going

It’s worth going back and watching the pp banking presentation by Matt Eckert and Danielle Isenhart. They laid out in the clearest terms why banking does not benefit the vast majority of CPW customers. It was like it just didn’t matter to a couple of the commissioners.
Any other commissioners have any valid ideas in the hopper to get CO points used up? To get tags in hands for more dollars from those high point holders?

Most of those high point holders aren’t going to “waste” their points to get out of the mess CPW created with their 40 year demonstration of why preference points don’t work.

Point banking is far from perfect, but Kudos to those commissioners for recognizing that something needs to be done.

Those high point holders will just wait it out - and hope for the eventual conversion from PP to straight BP or BP-squared. Math dictates that it will happen at some point.

I agree but have run into a situation where this won’t work.

I potentially could get drawn for a guided hunt thru RMEF. As a NR I have been collecting points to go on a decent hunt. This guided hunt if my number is called is in a zero point or OTC unit and most the bulls harvested are barely raghorns.

I would hate to be put in that situation where I a windfall to most would be a punishment to those that have waited and not hunted. Seven years is a lot to throw away on a hunt you can get for zero. Tossing a trip away for those 7 years is gut punch as well.

First world problems I know but my point is the system as we know it would change dramatically. Even for those Orgs that raise money for the resources.

Last edited:
I have been on this bandwagon for a bit now. I really do think this would help out with the point creep and would make a person decide if they want to go after the high end tags or hunt more often with OTC/low point tags.
The times I mentioned that idea on this site and others I practically got burned at the cross….. just saying. Lol

I have been preaching that for years now. Also, I put it on EVERY question see and survey from the cpw…even when it is not applicable to the topic at hand…. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back