May CPW Commission meeting

Did I understand it correctly that OTC 2nd and 3rd rifle bull tags in DAU E-2 and E-6 were shortened to 5 days?

Haskett's motion to reduce OTC rifle elk 2nd and 3rd seasons to 5 days in NW severe winter GMUs for 2023. CPW noted potential for confusion and enforcement challenges, "normally we give one year advance notice Before implementing such changes. How do we notify NR hunters in advance? Point of sale publicity, email blast to all OTC purchasers. CPW noted 4 pt restriction protects younger bull population in OTC units. Large reduction of cow tags this year is planned to prevent similar big reductions in future years. Unanimously approved.
For the large reduction in cow tags, is that statewide or just NW area?

Some good commentators on the res/non-res allocation, thanks for your comments.

The 75/25 split and 80/20 for high demand units just passed, but wasn't unanimous (seemed like mostly outfitters on the commission were against it, not surprising).

Some good commentators on the res/non-res allocation, thanks for your comments.

The 75/25 split and 80/20 for high demand units just passed, but wasn't unanimous (seemed like mostly outfitters on the commission were against it, not surprising).
I was surprised to see so many commissioners vote against it. It was interesting to see that guy claim only half of land vouchers go to non-residents right before an outfitter said majority of their clients are non-residents.

May have been odd that they had such a lengthy executive session with their attorney re: certain aspects of 114, if this was a done deal. Maybe a few of the members had requested the exec session to be assured one more time by legal counsel that this is all "above board".

Did I understand it correctly that OTC 2nd and 3rd rifle bull tags in DAU E-2 and E-6 were shortened to 5 days?
So did this happen? I am confused was this part of the unanimously approved or just a comment or recommendation?

Last edited:
That 80/20 split just means I need to ditch what points I have even faster. I’ll be further behind now. Should have used them 3 years ago. Oh well.

Man, if you wanted a certain NW pronghorn buck tag, you can forget it unless you have double the points it took last year. Holy moly tag cuts.

Thank god Commissioner Otero told CPW to shove their unbelievable 75/25 across the board recommendation. Reduction of CO resident share of tags in any way, shape, or form is utterly unacceptable. I don’t understand why Colorado hunters have not been in riot mode over CPWs long and hard push for 75/25. Calling it a compromise as of nonresident benefits and impacts are equal to resident.

The change that passed (80/20 high demand remains and regular demand changes from 65/35 to 75/25 is a step forward. But a baby step. The relevant factor is that CPW did not get away with their much wanted step backwards on the high demand from 80/20 to 75/25.

That still having probably the highest nonresident draw quotas in the west is a victory illuminates how much work remains to be done in Colorado by Colorado hunters. It’s your wildlife and big game. Act like it.

That 80/20 split just means I need to ditch what points I have even faster. I’ll be further behind now. Should have used them 3 years ago. Oh well.
With all due (public trust doctrine) respect.

You are a CO nonresident. Who cares ?

From one nonresident to another.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back