Matt Rinella is categorically confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right - so is that on the state to manage the supply/demand of game and hunters? Or should we just sit, whine, and wish hard winters never happen and there were less hunters.
I think the counterpoint is that if a management system is failing at that task by most measures, hunters may benefit from some self regulation. Along with that, a doubling down on teaching and showing new hunters the value of a deep relationship to habitat and game.

They are all to busy buying the latest gear, watching the all the YouTube videos and listening to all the podcasts about the most secret otc spot or where to apply in 2024…
Count me in as called out, and someone who is willing/wanting to be more involved.

Ironic - this SOCIAL MEDIA platform is how i plan to forge a path into being a better and more involved advocate. See my intro post.
I think the counterpoint is that if a management system is failing at that task by most measures, hunters may benefit from some self regulation. Along with that, a doubling down on teaching and showing new hunters the value of a deep relationship to habitat and game.
So people in the hunting industry (while definitionally, being one) are the sworn enemy? Its misguided, divisive, unproductive at best. Narcissistic, selfish, and hyper hypocritical at worst.

I'm not disregarding your data points, but I think this might also be different in the western hunting ecosystem, maybe partially because of the way western hunting is marketed? Not even social media, but even more traditional marketing by gear companies and such.

Thinking through my adult onset hunting friends, brands that push "hardcore western" like Sitka, Vortex, and Kuiu have had a huge impact on their introduction to and identity as hunters. It would be hard to separate because they follow things like Meateater as well.
I agree with this. I know quite a few people in my age range of late 20s to early 30s that I think would not be hunting if it wasn’t for social media, including people who grew up in Montana and some who moved here from around the country. The extreme western hunting aesthetic is cool and they have to be part of it.

I gradually stopped hunting with a friend after he decided that he was going to be a hunting influencer. The main problem was taking advantage of my spots and bringing other people to the spots I showed him, but I got tired of the constant attention seeking on social media. He’s still never killed an elk, which I think is hilarious.

Count me in as called out, and someone who is willing/wanting to be more involved.

Ironic - this SOCIAL MEDIA platform is how i plan to forge a path into being a better and more involved advocate. See my intro post.

So people in the hunting industry (while definitionally, being one) are the sworn enemy? Its misguided, divisive, unproductive at best. Narcissistic, selfish, and hyper hypocritical at worst.
I think we can make blanket statements based on evidence, so yes, they are bad for hunting. Some notable exceptions. I abhor the hole "all us hunters need to be together, we can't call out bad actors"...if you are shooting holes in the boat I think they can be thrown out of the boat

My socials are. I rarely if ever post. But when I do, it's usually sharing pictures of my hobbies. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. The same type of stuff that my followers (friends) are in to. It's the only reason I haven't gotten rid of my instagram.
Real friends or internet “friends”

I have literally no idea how you got that from this:

I agree with this. I know quite a few people in my age range of late 20s to early 30s that I think would not be hunting if it wasn’t for social media, including people who grew up in Montana and some who moved here from around the country. The extreme western hunting aesthetic is cool and they have to be part of it.

I gradually stopped hunting with a friend after he decided that he was going to be a hunting influencer. The main problem was taking advantage of my spots and bringing other people to the spots I showed him, but I got tired of the constant attention seeking on social media. He’s still never killed an elk, which I think is hilarious.
Same thing here in Co. it is very fashionable to bow hunt now… it’s getting old. Especially the majority of the crowd buy a bow, trick it out, shoot it twice and start flinging arrows at animals. I personally refuse to hunt with some guys because it is completely unethical to let them shoot at an animal with a bow after going to the 3d range with them, and of course they want to be told, what drainage to hunt, or what unit to put in for. Whatever happened to doing our own homework?!

Is that relevant?
I mean, sort of. Lack of face to face or true familiarity with people is kind of why I feel the gold rush on western hunting has happened. SM is about portraying a life you want everyone to think you live, often not reality. So when folks blast out all the “awesome” golden moments it completely skews reality.

I mean, sort of. Lack of face to face or true familiarity with people is kind of why I feel the gold rush on western hunting has happened. SM is about portraying a life you want everyone to think you live, often not reality. So when folks blast out all the “awesome” golden moments it completely skews reality.
They're real. I don't need random people checking in on my life. More of a way to share experiences with people without having to reach out to everyone.

A t-shirt shop just down the road from our office has a sign $9 custom t-shirts with orders of 100 or more. This is in a town of 14,000 people.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't making at least 30% on the shirts. He charges shipping too...
This is getting tangential to the discussion, but.....

I order shirts for our company occasionally. I have no doubt that they can sell 100 of the cheapest shirts in their catalog with a very simple design for $9 apiece. The question is what it costs to start with a shirt you actually want to wear, then produce and stock 50-100 in varying sizes at all times, and have someone package and prep them for pickup a few times a week. I know they charge shipping, as I just ordered a shirt and a sticker the other night, but that doesn't cover the logistics that the person prepping the order does. All this stuff adds up.
It true that I don't know exactly what the numbers are for them, but I don't see meaningful money in it for him.

over/under on @rjthehunter and @MtEngineer having the same IP address?
Call Randy in if you're suspicious.

I feel bad for Randy having so many haters on his own site. Sort of ridiculous
This is getting tangential to the discussion, but.....

I order shirts for our company occasionally. I have no doubt that they can sell 100 of the cheapest shirts in their catalog with a very simple design for $9 apiece. The question is what it costs to start with a shirt you actually want to wear, then produce and stock 50-100 in varying sizes at all times, and have someone package and prep them for pickup a few times a week. I know they charge shipping, as I just ordered a shirt and a sticker the other night, but that doesn't cover the logistics that the person prepping the order does. All this stuff adds up.
It true that I don't know exactly what the numbers are for them, but I don't see meaningful money in it for him.
He's virtue signaling by saying "at cost merchandise" when really, if they were at cost, they'd be much cheaper. His designs are as simple as they come. Lots of companies sell shirts for profit at less...

So now it’s elaborate scheme to profit off of the shirts. Maybe he could have skipped the whole thing entirely and sold gnome shirts at meateater if that was the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back