Matt Rinella is categorically confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it was @Nameless Range who pointed it out before...you'd think with the entire Meateater ecosystem -- in addition to all manner of other influencers and hunting adjacent content and product creators in Bozeman/Billings/Great Falls/Missoula -- there would be all sorts of constructive and engaged public comment springing forth.

And yet Randy's about the only well known figure who shows up...

@MtEngineer I'm 40 and I hunt because my grand dad's and dad taught me to hunt and what it means to hunt with respect for the animal and being thankful for the food it provides. My family survived because of the meat a generation ago.

What's gonna happen when people like my dad and me for that matter are gone and all we have left in 30 years is hunters that learned to hunt from instagram and only did it for likes and notoriety. Are those kind of hunters gonna save the tradition. They won't even be able to spell conservation they will think it's another word for hammer.

Seriously the grass roots family traditions hunter is on the brink of extinction id say we're in the last generation of them. It will be all instahunters after that. Not good. REALLLLLLLY $*)Q!#@$ SCARY ACTUALLY! SO STOP BEING AN IDIOT AND OPEN YOUR EYES!!! TALK TO A HUNTER UNDER 30 AND SEE HOW AND WHY THEY HUNT! THE ANSWER WILL BE AS GENERAC AS YOUR DUMB $*)Q!#@$ POST! ITS NOT GOOD!

What is it telling? Because for the life of me, I can't figure it out...
I could certainly be wrong but I'm assuming it's that either:
1)They don't want to take a minute and evaluate their motives for hunting and sharing experiences
2)There is some kind of allegiance to certain hunting media personalities on par with politics and sports
3)Some combination of both

Edited to add:
4)Not enough other stuff to worry about
5)Just really mad

Seems like there are more people worshipping at the altar of matt than anything else.

What he does for a career isnt what im arguing, obviously.

His position on "less hunters" being inherently good for conservation because hes sick of hunting pressure is what im disagreeing with. Thats an issue in the west, particularily Montana - because of management.
I'd rather have a smaller group of dedicated hunters than a boatload of clowns.

I've said it a lot, I'm not seeing much positive from promoting bro-hunters, flatbill hunters, and creating this big tent nonsense.

If it was helping with actual results, I might be more inclined to keep an open mind. Its the same guys attending everything and doing the same heavy lifting they always have.

I'm still waiting for all these new hunters to show up and do SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

They're first in line to snap up tags, post on SM, beat you to a trailhead and dead last to write a letter, attend a work day, or put additional money on the ground.

Prove me wrong...

Seriously the grass roots family traditions hunter is on the brink of extinction id say we're in the last generation of them. It will be all instahunters after that. Not good. REALLLLLLLY $*)Q!#@$ SCARY ACTUALLY! SO STOP BEING AN IDIOT AND OPEN YOUR EYES!!! TALK TO A HUNTER UNDER 30 AND SEE HOW AND WHY THEY HUNT! THE ANSWER WILL BE AS GENERAC AS YOUR DUMB $*)Q!#@$ POST! ITS NOT GOOD!
I'll challenge this. You're way wrong...

As someone under 30, who has been hunting my entire life, I can tell you that everyone I know who hunts, grew up hunting. I don't know anyone who started hunting because of some goon on the internet. I think you guys are giving these influencers wayyyy more credit than they deserve. They're entertainers more than influencers.

Most people I know who started hunting as adults were people who were/are in a relationship with a hunter. I know more women who have started hunting because their husband/boyfriend hunts.

I believe it was @Nameless Range who pointed it out before...you'd think with the entire Meateater ecosystem -- in addition to all manner of other influencers and hunting adjacent content and product creators in Bozeman/Billings/Great Falls/Missoula -- there would be all sorts of constructive and engaged public comment springing forth.

And yet Randy's about the only well known figure who shows up...
That's a fair and legitimate critique of those people.

It’s not about having less hunters, it’s about protecting who we already have. If people start hunting it’s about protecting them too.

And not about drumming up interest in a fairly saturated pastime to sell product.
There has always been "media." Prior to Social media - there was TV. Prior to that, there was magazines, prior to that .... cave markings.

It's not "saturated" because there is more interest than there is space. It's saturated because it is mismanaged.
Your position is more is better. I'm saying that isn't the case or it would show in those meetings.

Further, I would almost guarantee that there is an inverse relationship between 'dollars in' for game agencies (a surrogate for hunter #'s) and hunter acceptance. More dipshits = more problems

There is simply no data to suggest that more hunters does us any bit of good. The argument that more hunters will give us a leg up against legislation is a joke, we are a huge minority, always have been always will be. This issue is we need to be innocuous to the general voting public. With more hunters we get more bad behavior that, unfortunately, gets filmed or otherwise captured to be used against us with normal voting people. We will never convince anti-hunters that hunting is good. What we need to do is make sure that the average voter doesn't see hunters acting crazy and doing dumb shit and unfortunately more hunters and more hunting media does just that.
My position is not "more is better." More could be good, more could be worse. One thing is certain - if game animals don't have market value for public, private, and corporate use - livestock and other commercial interests will outcompete them.

As someone under 30, who has been hunting my entire life, I can tell you that everyone I know who hunts, grew up hunting. I don't know anyone who started hunting because of some goon on the internet. I think you guys are giving these influencers wayyyy more credit than they deserve. They're entertainers more than influencers.

Most people I know who started hunting as adults were people who were/are in a relationship with a hunter. I know more women who have started hunting because their husband/boyfriend hunts.
But what's the first thing they do when hunting...post to their socials. Look at me.

But what's the first thing they do when hunting...post to their socials. Look at me.
Social media is the "cool" new thing. Same way new things go in and out of style all the time. It doesn't mean they do it just to post to social media. These people are also the people who post pics weekly of anything they're doing.

I grew up where hunting is life. I don't know a single kid in my hometown under 30 who doesn't think posting your hunt up isn't part of actually hunting. They weren't taught that by their fathers cause I know their fathers. They were taught that by people like cam. And all posts will have some gay as aids quote that's generac as #*^@#*. Cause they heard one of their hunting heroes say it.

I have boots, a backpack and a ton of gear that has hunted longer than this.

Carry on.
I have a 4 year old niece who doesn't interrupt with nonsense that relates in no way to the conversation when 2 people are talking.

What's your point? (read the whole post for some context to why I mentioned the under 30)

I grew up where hunting is life. I don't know a single kid in my hometown under 30 who doesn't think posting your hunt up isn't part of actually hunting. They weren't taught that by their fathers cause I know their fathers. They were taught that by people like cam. And all posts will have some gay as aids quote that's generac as #*^@#*. Cause they heard one of their hunting heroes say it.
But they're hunters right? They just share it on social media. They still grew up hunting, still would be hunting w/out social media right? Who gives a shit if they post it on social media???

I'm not disregarding your data points, but I think this might also be different in the western hunting ecosystem, maybe partially because of the way western hunting is marketed? Not even social media, but even more traditional marketing by gear companies and such.

Thinking through my adult onset hunting friends, brands that push "hardcore western" like Sitka, Vortex, and Kuiu have had a huge impact on their introduction to and identity as hunters. It would be hard to separate because they follow things like Meateater as well.

Social media is the "cool" new thing. Same way new things go in and out of style all the time. It doesn't mean they do it just to post to social media. These people are also the people who post pics weekly of anything they're doing.
Exactly they $*)Q!#@$ exploit every mother $*)Q!#@$ thing in the world for a $*)Q!#@$ reaction. Ruin everything in the process. I can list off a dozen places I used to go a decade ago that are litter infested shit holes now. Because big tits Magees and dickless man buns exploit it for a reaction on socials.

I have a 4 year old niece who doesn't interrupt with nonsense that relates in no way to the conversation when 2 people are talking.

What's your point? (read the whole post for some context to why I mentioned the under 30)

But they're hunters right? They just share it on social media. They still grew up hunting, still would be hunting w/out social media right? Who gives a shit if they post it on social media???
No I don't think they would be hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back