Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Matt Rinella is categorically confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple things....

- On the money front, there is a difference between putting in a shirt order and picking them up when done, and having the shirt supplier handle production, inventory, point of sale, and shipping. He is most certainly not making money at $22.00 for a T-shirt.

-On hunter numbers, I don't get from him that we shouldn't help new hunters, just that it's a little misguided at this time for non-profits and state agencies to be promoting R3. I'd agree with this point with the access and game population issues facing the West.

-In my opinion, the best point to ponder from him is that all the loud voices in hunting are profiting off it. Is that really how we are going to get to objective solutions?

-Probably the biggest thing I'd differ with him on is long range hunting, whatever that means anymore. I think he's too absolutist on this, and that's coming from someone who not so many years ago thought no one had any business shooting beyond 400 yds. The number of people that should is quite small, but coming to know some real riflemen personally, I've had to question my beliefs. It's a little disconcerting when you shoot with someone who is legitimately more reliable at 600 than you are at 3-400. There is a line for sure, I'm just less confident in where it lies.

i'm still more worried about the colorado lion hunting ban in the slow cooker right now.

i've finally started better learning that it's a waste of my life to care about what drunken matt rinella has to rant about and especially about whatever recent midnight booty call escapade cam and rogan had and especially whatever opinion anyone has any on any of em.

but i still can't stand cam tho.

I have a 4 year old niece who doesn't interrupt with nonsense that relates in no way to the conversation when 2 people are talking.

What's your point? (read the whole post for some context to why I mentioned the under 30)
Ask your 4 year old niece. Her reading comprehension is probably better than yours.

If they didn't have a phone to connect them to the outside world while hunting they would not be hunting.
So now it's not the hunting "influencers" that are the problem, but rather the people who want to take a picture of the animal they harvest to share with their friends??? Now it's the local kid down the street who posts a pic with an elk or buck he shot?

You're tough to keep up with.

I'm not defending shitty influencers, but if I shoot a nice buck and want to share a pic on social media, who the hell are you to say I can't? Even still, who the hell are you to say someone is only hunting so they can share pics on social media?

I grew up where hunting is life. I don't know a single kid in my hometown under 30 who doesn't think posting your hunt up isn't part of actually hunting. They weren't taught that by their fathers cause I know their fathers. They were taught that by people like cam. And all posts will have some gay as aids quote that's generac as #*^@#*. Cause they heard one of their hunting heroes say it.
Ah so your position is that people who didnt come into hunting via family aren't allowed in?

I got into it - largely because I thought and have thought since I was very young that self reliance and subsistence is very valuable. Coworkers told me about their experiences, I grew intrigued, found shooting my rifle and bow therapeutic. Pretty ignorant to want no one else to do it - because you don't want anyone to.
Couple things....

- On the money front, there is a difference between putting in a shirt order and picking them up when done, and having the shirt supplier handle production, inventory, point of sale, and shipping. He is most certainly not making money at $22.00 for a T-shirt.

-On hunter numbers, I don't get from him that we shouldn't help new hunters, just that it's a little misguided at this time for non-profits and state agencies to be promoting R3. I'd agree with this point with the access and game population issues facing the West.

-In my opinion, the best point to ponder from him is that all the loud voices in hunting are profiting off it. Is that really how we are going to get to objective solutions?

-Probably the biggest thing I'd differ with him on is long range hunting, whatever that means anymore. I think he's too absolutist on this, and that's coming from someone who not so many years ago thought no one had any business shooting beyond 400 yds. The number of people that should is quite small, but coming to know some real riflemen personally, I've had to question my beliefs. It's a little disconcerting when you shoot with someone who is legitimately more reliable at 600 than you are at 3-400. There is a line for sure, I'm just less confident in where it lies.
Ah I forgot to point out how dumb that is too (his stance on long range rifle hunting). I am perfectly capable of 600 yard shots and even longer in the right conditions, with the right rifle and right rest.
I am sure he's not "making" 22 dollars a shirt - but don't tell me he doesn't charge the not for profit an administrator "fee" or gain from it in anyway. He's doing media/marketing and profiting off of it.
i'm still more worried about the colorado lion hunting ban in the slow cooker right now.

i've finally started better learning that it's a waste of my life to care about what drunken matt rinella has to rant about and especially about whatever recent midnight booty call escapade cam and rogan had and especially whatever opinion anyone has any on any of em.

but i still can't stand cam tho.
I can't stand Cam either. I think he's a tool.

I am sure he's not "making" 22 dollars a shirt - but don't tell me he doesn't charge the not for profit an administrator "fee" or gain from it in anyway. He's doing media/marketing and profiting off of it.
Go check costs a few places to do design, production, inventory, sale processing, and shipping, and get back to me. I doubt in the long run he'll make anything meaningful. Honestly, I don't care if he does......

Ask your 4 year old niece. Her reading comprehension is probably better than yours.
You're still grumpy because I called you out for being hypocritical in the last thread about Matt aren't you?

Go back to the hallmark channel and let the conversations be had here. You're almost at 5k posts. No need to post nonsense and attempt to insult me.

The guys got a point no doubt about it! But the more I hear and see him all over the place the more I'm thinking that "hunt quietly" is more of a "do as I say not as I do" situation.
Right. Hunt quietly "advertised and marketed" is what he should say.

Besides all of this - does he really think that that Scheels, Cabelas, and the other retailers don't "market" hunting more than SM influencers? What's he going to do, picket in front of a retailer next?

WY cut Pronghorn tags because of herd counts, they slightly increased nr Elk tags for 2024 with the elimination of the 7250 cap.
I've had a license for the last 56 years and have dealt with new hunters and the issues they create for decades. Buy a tag at the store, gone. Hunt with bow then rifle, gone. Hunt most of the state OTC, gone. I deal with it because I don't deserve a tag any more than the next guy. Especially a new guy that doesn't live out here and has never been hunting.
There aren't more hunters at Rinellas trailhead unless it's in an unlimited otc area. In those areas, you can absolutely see addl hunters, probably due to SM, forums, and friends. No argument from me there. But again, I deal with it. Same as I do for draw hunts. Does it suck my odds are in the crapper? yep, so I spend more time figuring stuff out.
Elkbob… I believe you just proved my point.

Go check costs a few places to do design, production, inventory, sale processing, and shipping, and get back to me. I doubt in the long run he'll make anything meaningful. Honestly, I don't care if he does......
A t-shirt shop just down the road from our office has a sign $9 custom t-shirts with orders of 100 or more. This is in a town of 14,000 people.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't making at least 30% on the shirts. He charges shipping too...

Elkbob… I believe you just proved my point.
Right - so is that on the state to manage the supply/demand of game and hunters? Or should we just sit, whine, and wish hard winters never happen and there were less hunters.

The position of "more hunters" being inherently good is nonsense also. We have more hunters in the west than ever before, how many people are showing up to commission meetings and fighting....?
They are all to busy buying the latest gear, watching the all the YouTube videos and listening to all the podcasts about the most secret otc spot or where to apply in 2024…

Right - so is that on the state to manage the supply/demand of game and hunters? Or should we just sit, whine, and wish hard winters never happen and there were less hunters.
You’re right let’s get even more hunters. Then when we can get one tag every 6 years it will be so great! Hopefully our hunting super hero’s will still be able to hunt those private ranches every year and drop us some sweet content! I just think it is ignorant to overly commercialize a limited resource helping a few get wealthy and making it far harder on ourselves to participate. Or do you like the pay to play model? I’m not advocating for less hunters. I believe that hunters should hunt around their home first and foremost, they should harvest enough meat to feed themselves and their family, and they shouldn’t post ridiculous, unnecessary and untastful content all over the internet for clicks/ content to monetize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back