Making friends after a move

C17loadclear

Hey everyone,

We are looking at moving to Idaho in a couple years and I am curious how you guys make new friends after a move other than people that you meet at work.

We will not have any friends or family so we will be starting from scratch.

I have seen people reach out on here but do not know how successful that has been.

Btw, I am a planner so that is why I am asking so soon.😀

Thanks!!

We met new friends through Meetup groups for various hobbies, Conservation group gatherings such as BHA pint nights and online forums similar to this one, but more local oriented.

I have met some great people both on here and through a couple of other forums. In fact, that is how I got into actual elk hunting and met who is now one of best friends, CPO (Chief Petty Officer). Common interests help build bonds.

I would recommend church and even neighbors. Once we moved off base in Alaska, some of our best friends we met thanks to our kids and their friends. One couple across the street from us are really close friends, but our boys have kind of gone their separate ways.

I can tell you how to lose friends quick, retire from the military. A guy that was a GS in our building when I was wearing the uniform and I became really close friends, heck I was even in his wedding. I took a job out of country for a year as a contractor, and now he doesn't even respond to my texts, or anything. I guess I should have known better, as my wife kept telling me he was just using me the last year or two.

Last edited:
Not speaking from experience, but since I’ve strongly begun thinking about moving west as well, this has been on my mind. The others have given good answers, and I think chatting with people you meet at the trailhead could be good too. If it works out, you gain a friend and hunting intel in one swoop

Church. Other social groups. Hahah....I posted a “want ad” on this site. I have younger kids so whoever their friends are end up being our friends. Nobody I’ve met likes the outdoors so...that becomes a problem. My wife is also pretty anti social. She has pretty bad Depression and Anxiety, I use these words but fully admit I don’t understand them, I’m just not wired that way. But that also makes making friends hard if the husbands and wives don’t play well together. Goodluck it’s a code I’ve yet to crack.

It will depend on what part of Idaho you move to. If it's Boise good luck it's now a sewer and everyone (to me) is self centered and living to fast a life. There are gangs in SW Idaho, drugs, shootings (weekly) major wrecks all the time. For the amount of people moving in the infra structure can't keep up. Roads are jammed and no flow.
Rural Idaho you shouldn't have to much of a problem.
Just don't be pushy and uppity. Be open friendly and willing to lend a helping hand.
There are some areas that are so small and close knit that unless you marry into it you'll never be a welcomed. Those areas are slowly changing as more out of stater's move in.
North Idaho is L.A. north and Eastern Idaho don't really know much about. But it's growing rapidly and changing.
As for good priced cheap land/housing. No such thing. Cost of living is high, gas some of the highest prices in the nation. Due to high state taxes placed on it. Some things you'll find reasonable compared to where you now live.
The public land is great but it's totally over used and abused especially in areas close to major populated areas.
I'm a native Idahoan and seen to many changes that I don't like, but nothing I can do but accept it to some degree.
Those of you that have already moved in will call me a liar because you don't/won't see it that way but I'm only being truthful.
We're moving (retirement next year) to a new area of Idaho. We've already bought and making friends but have noticed the people we have made friends with are people who moved in too. Only one local has been friendly but I give them fresh produce from my garden(from the old place).

Have a nice place coming up for sale next years (north of Boise) you will have to build on property (old mobile home on it now). It's fairly nice area (but growing). Yeah I'm hawking the old place. LOL

Good luck to those who make the move.

Hey everyone,

We are looking at moving to Idaho in a couple years and I am curious how you guys make new friends after a move other than people that you meet at work.

We will not have any friends or family so we will be starting from scratch.

I have seen people reach out on here but do not know how successful that has been.

Btw, I am a planner so that is why I am asking so soon.��

Thanks!!

I don't know about Idaho, but I know a fella from Wisconsin who moved to Dubois, Wyoming back in the 50's. After 40 years there he was still called "the guy from Wisconsin" by the locals. In some places newbies are always considered outsiders no matter how long they live there. He got along with everyone in town eventually, but he never was considered a "native".

My wife and I moved 1,300 miles in July 2017 and did not know anyone in our new location. I met a couple people through another forum who had also moved to the area. Most of my other contacts came through work/side business stuff, but ended up meeting a couple guys really into hunting. Most are really busy so a lot of it is just texting about hunts/plans and meeting up every couple months.

My wife is into Crossfit and so she has met people at the gym. So I have met a few people through her as well.

No kids, so doesn't work for us to meet the neighbors and other kid's parents.

Being out in the woods is my Church. I have talked to a lot of random people at trailheads, but never enough to exchange #s or anything like that.

Starting a new job Oct 8 that will hopefully give me more time to join some local hunting/conservation orgs to meet some like-minded people. Most BHA activities are 1+ hr drive away, but I should have time to actually make it to some now.

Proverbs 18:24 A man who has friends must himself be friendly,
But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Cash ... lot of cash. Oh yeah ... what others have said involving church etc. ��

Proverbs 14:20-22 The poor man is hated even by his own neighbor,
But the rich has many friends. < insert sarcastic emoji here. Yes, the bible has sarcasm in it. Maybe there will be a new translation with emojis inserted.

With you coming from "back east" you should be welcomed with open arms unless you buy land that closes what once was public access and flaunt your money in front of everyone. We have a few friends from back east and the midwest and they are great folks. My wife and I needed some new friends after we moved back to Boise last year from Eastern Idaho (glad to have left there) and joined the local VW club. We are huge into old Volkswagens. This was a great option for us as it is a hobby and most VW people are awesome. Look for outdoor groups and other groups relating to other hobbies if you have them.

You can sure look me up to if you will be in the SW part of the state. I do agree there is some angst from us natives to those that move here and try to bring what their state offered in terms of politics and ways of life and suggest we born and raised Idahoans change.

Don't talk down about the area especially if you are in a small town. Like mentioned breweries are good if you are into that. Gyms, local parks, civic organizations. Good luck and be sure to look me up. Let me be the first to say Welcome.

Just go about your own business and don't worry about it. Peoples natural curiosity will lead them to seek you out. Especially in a small town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back