PEAX Equipment

Making friends after a move

Thanks for all of the responses. Some of you have asked some really good questions so here is a little more background.

I am retired from the air force and originally from northern California. My wife is originally from western Washington. We have lived in nc for the last 25 years and have decided to leave for several reasons which I won't list here(except for the heat..��)

We visited sandpoint in July and loved the area (especially priest river). We understand that winters can be hard but we will trade a hot and humid summer for the cold.

We really liked the people and the way we were treated while visiting. We had looked at eastern Washington but prefer the panhandle of idaho better.

Thanks again everyone!!

Local Hunt And Fishing store.Cabelas/Sportsmans.Hit the local lakes.Everyone has a Tall Tale..Fishing story.:cool:

I don't know if the op has kids but when we moved to a new town my kids were in elementary school. I signed on as a volunteer greeter at the school and met lots of parents and teachers that way. My boys are all grown now but some of the folks we met through school are some of our best friends.

I helped with a couple of local fundraiser dinners (NWTF and NRA) to jump start meeting some folks. I joined the local gun range which is a membership, private organization. This got me in touch with several people that like to shoot and get outdoors. I also am active in my undergrad and grad alum associations so I looked up the local chapters and restarted the undergrad one locally. Good places to talk glory days.

I searched LinkedIn and Alum databases to find contacts for my career. Church is mostly city folks more interested in the latest movie or local school district issues.

Proverbs 14:20-22 The poor man is hated even by his own neighbor,
But the rich has many friends. < insert sarcastic emoji here. Yes, the bible has sarcasm in it. Maybe there will be a new translation with emojis inserted.

One of my favorite books in the Bible. Lots of good advise/info that works to this day!

back to the conversation now

Hey OP,
I moved to Idaho 3 years ago. The hunting here is amazing. Predators are all over the place. One could harvest an over the counter elk and deer every year with enough time off. I have met several friends through church, group activities, and social media. Idaho was definitely a good move.

Proverbs 14:20-22 The poor man is hated even by his own neighbor,
But the rich has many friends. < insert sarcastic emoji here. Yes, the bible has sarcasm in it. Maybe there will be a new translation with emojis inserted.

So true.....but, getting more than superficially involved if you attend church can be pretty cool. I've met many people who are oriented to serving others and it works! Another universal truth at play here and it's surprising where you connect with others.

Being a military brat, we always were moving and were forced to make friends wherever and however you could. Make the most of of it, dive in you might take some lumps but some connections will work out.

The fact that this post has generated 2 pages shows just how great this forum is.

My wife and I are live and let live kind of people and try to help neighbors and friends whenever possible.

We have already decided that we are going to volunteer once we get settled.

And yes I was told all about the predators (especially wolf's) in the area.

Severed animal parts usually works for me. I tend to clean them up a bit and cook them (roasts, steaks, jerky, sausage and the like).

I like to find out if I'm going to irritate the neighbors with normal butchering / processing. Shouldn't be a big deal in Idaho - but a good way to meet people.

It's certainly a challenge as you don't want to invite yourself to go hunting with folks and many people are very particular about who they hunt with. I don't blame them but it does make it tough if you are new to an area, which I am as well.

I've been trying to make some hunting friends in Laramie and finally invited some people I met here to go back and hunt in Nebraska with me in November. Hopefully that will open the door to more opportunities with that group here in Wyoming. I don't mind hunting by myself sometimes but it is nice to have some folks in camp once in a while.

We relocated 11 years ago. I joined a local fishing forum and met a few guys to fish with from the forum and a bunch of others from church. I found that fishing with some locals gave me a good idea about how we would get along on hunting trips or just as casual friends. Some turned out great and some were on my boat just one time. My new next door neighbors were great so that worked out well.

I recommend you join your local RMEF chapter. Committee members are very forthcoming and would very likely be willing to take you under their wing if you show sincere interest in the RMEF mission.

I don't know about Idaho, but I know a fella from Wisconsin who moved to Dubois, Wyoming back in the 50's. After 40 years there he was still called "the guy from Wisconsin" by the locals. In some places newbies are always considered outsiders no matter how long they live there. He got along with everyone in town eventually, but he never was considered a "native".
I got a friend that moved from Michigan to Iowa and youd never know it. I actually thought he was from around here at first. Knows just as many locals as me, whose ground is whose, hunts and fishes with us, drinks beer with all the locals and is an all around awesome guy and part of the community. No one ever looks at him as the guy from Michigan. Hes only been here 5-6 years. I wouldnt worry about it as long as your not a really shy person. Itll work itself out .

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back