Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Maintaining your rig

I have a '16 Ram 1500 with V6 that's been throwing a check airbag systems light for months now. Thought I had it figured out at one point, it went away when I messed with the under-seat electrical harness but it's back again and won't go away.
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not real sure we should be messing with airbag stuff lol I have an '12. Unplug and plug it back it a few times. Mine used to do that too and very occasionally when the wife drives and moves the seat it will still come on so I fiddle with it. Now that you bring it up it hasn't happened in some time so I'm sure it will pop back on tomorrow. There is some kind of recall for the airbags but I don't know what it deals with

I do all my own maintenance, it's cheaper and besides that, as my wife puts it, I'm cheap myself. I have issues with what stealerships want to change oil and fuel filters on my '15 Cummins, when I can do it for a 1/3 of the cost.
That dang air conditioning line makes getting the filter a pain in the butt. I just did it this weekend and was asking myself why I put myself through that every time. I liked the engine configurations on the 3rd gens better. I replaced almost all the u-joints, water pump, and multiple hub assemblies on the '06 I had.

I love the expression on the guy’s face at auotzone when I come in to dump oil. “You again?” Yep pretty cheap.
I just walk straight to the back and dump it. They don't even look at me.

I'm also in the camp of hating to pay someone to do something I am capable of doing myself. Often I can buy all the tools and parts I need to do the job for cheaper than the mechanic would charge me. Then I get new tools!

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not real sure we should be messing with airbag stuff lol I have an '12. Unplug and plug it back it a few times. Mine used to do that too and very occasionally when the wife drives and moves the seat it will still come on so I fiddle with it. Now that you bring it up it hasn't happened in some time so I'm sure it will pop back on tomorrow. There is some kind of recall for the airbags but I don't know what it deals with

I've never actually unplugged it. If the light clears all is good.

I'm also in the camp of hating to pay someone to do something I am capable of doing myself. Often I can buy all the tools and parts I need to do the job for cheaper than the mechanic would charge me. Then I get new tools!

Exactly, buying new tools is an added bonus!

So today I performed the tried and true procedure of the past and, bingo, the systems light went out. The only thing I can think of that might have made a difference is that I was very careful, after disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery, to really push the under seat electrical connectors together.

I do all of my on maintenance and most repairs. Ishtar now I’m saving up the cash to replace my transfer case. It’s surprisingly expensive.

Doug got a new fuel filter today. Had to cut through the crimped fitting on one end of hose between the lines and the filter with a hand file. NOT real fun. Old filter was almost rusted through and was NASTY. Slowly but surely showing some love :)

I do most of my maintenance myself. Small maintenance certainly, but anything requiring larger tear downs I bring it in to my local shop. Gives them money, and if the work will take me alone a few days, it’s literally not worth my time. I like Doug he work myself, but things I don’t enjoy are installing lift kits, and so on.

Although I had done a ton of other things to it that were labor intensive, dual battery setups, adding outlets, voltmeters, working on heated/cooled cup holders, etc.

I have a '16 Ram 1500 with V6 that's been throwing a check airbag systems light for months now. Thought I had it figured out at one point, it went away when I messed with the under-seat electrical harness but it's back again and won't go away.

2012 ram same deal. Keep messing with the under seat harness, it'll fix it. I unplugged and reconnected all them and it's been gone for three years now.

I do all my own repairs on my 2002 Silverado and 1974 K10, and fix a lot of friends vehicles as well. I've had a passion for turning wrenches my whole life always riding and working on dirtbikes. I'm CH-47 helicopter mechanic so I spend a lot of time with a wrench in my hand.

Had an old tire rep who used to say: "If you can't field strip your transporter, you might as well stay home."

Whatever you do, always run synthetic lubricants, if you want the best in longevity and performance. I use only Amsoil lubricants in all of my engines/motors (including my outboard) and have Toyota change transmission and differentials every 60,000 miles with their lube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back