Maintaining your rig

Whatever you do, always run synthetic lubricants, if you want the best in longevity and performance. I use only Amsoil lubricants in all of my engines/motors (including my outboard) and have Toyota change transmission and differentials every 60,000 miles with their lube.

Lubricants! Best single thing you can do for your vehicles.

2012 ram same deal. Keep messing with the under seat harness, it'll fix it. I unplugged and reconnected all them and it's been gone for three years now.

Out scouting again over the weekend and it went out, again. Going to check the continuity on every wire going in and out of the TB this time to figure out exactly which one it is.

Noticed my rig has a front end shimmy above 80 mph. It will go to the shop for this one.

I do a lot of the work on my trucks myself Im an old motor head and enjoy doing it

Tinkering with my truck is a side hobby of mine. I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra in almost immaculate shape. I did a full paint correction and touch up last year which resulted in there being pretty much zero rust. I do all the maintenance myself, including oil changes every 10,000kms with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. When finances allow, I'd like to do a full front end rebuild; ball joints, cv joints/boots, steering rack bushings etc.

I do all my general maintenance, for both my Truck and Boat motor. Just FYI the OP motor is very dirty, every season after the winter is over I spray my engine with engine degreaser with the motor running and hose off my GMC 2008 Sierra 1500 engine compartment looks great.
I just do it to keep me grounded.

I do all my general maintenance, for both my Truck and Boat motor. Just FYI the OP motor is very dirty, every season after the winter is over I spray my engine with engine degreaser with the motor running and hose off my GMC 2008 Sierra 1500 engine compartment looks great.
I just do it to keep me grounded.

Hey, hey, now.....that dirt is well earned through many miles of scouting! Plus, at times, I live by the motto, "Don't do today what you can put off till tomorrow."!

Hey, hey, now.....that dirt is well earned through many miles of scouting! Plus, at times, I live by the motto, "Don't do today what you can put off till tomorrow."!
I know exactly what you are saying and mine looks bad in the spring after winter. I do think though if you take it to a shop for repair work the mechanic would appreciate it being cleaner.
The way I look at it a Can of engine degreaser is like $3 dollars at Wal Mart and I have blown more than that on some stupid shit.
What kind of rig do you drive buy the way I could not figure it out by the engine size ? Take Care Man

I know exactly what you are saying and mine looks bad in the spring after winter. I do think though if you take it to a shop for repair work the mechanic would appreciate it being cleaner.
The way I look at it a Can of engine degreaser is like $3 dollars at Wal Mart and I have blown more than that on some stupid shit.
What kind of rig do you drive buy the way I could not figure it out by the engine size ? Take Care Man

Won't degreaser affect electrical?
TBCK7452[1].JPEG

I do not spray the electrical directly. My truck is a 2008 and I have had zero problems. I did change a fuse and the electrical box seems water resistance, nothing in there had any corrosion.
Nice look truck by the way.

Technically, this is not my vehicle, but is a part of it. Doing some final fit-up on it before going vacationing:
IMG_1477[1].JPG

Out scouting again over the weekend and it went out, again. Going to check the continuity on every wire going in and out of the TB this time to figure out exactly which one it is.
sorry, didn't see a notification of this... One thought, zip tie the harness together so there is no way for anything to wiggle loose under the seat. Also, could maybe look for a conductive jelly maybe? Help maintain a better connection?

sorry, didn't see a notification of this... One thought, zip tie the harness together so there is no way for anything to wiggle loose under the seat. Also, could maybe look for a conductive jelly maybe? Help maintain a better connection?

great advice 👍

I do almost 100% of all of my automotive work. One its way cheaper, but you also know what brand you are really getting. I can change my oil (7qt's) with a synthetic and a premium filter for less then a cheap oil change with who knows what barrel oil.

Last weekend I changed out the oil pressure sensor on the wife's Wrangler. what a job! Had to pull the intake manifold off to get to it, and ended up nicking a coolant hose that was under there as well so had to replace that. Replaced the intake gaskets as well, since I was there, as well as the thermostat, since I had to drain the coolant to replace the hose. Not a fan of Chrysler's design on the 3.6L V6 in this regard!

My old man had me building an engine before I had a driver's license. I've built a few since then.

I mostly do my own work. Doing so can get you familiar with how everything is working/wearing.

There are times where I don't have an expensive tool to do the job correctly... I don't have refrigerant recovery equipment or an emissions leak check kit, etc. There are other times where I'm working alot. In these cases, I have a shop do it.

Being a dad of teenagers/young adults, part of my job description seems to include part time fleet manager. My oldest is in her last year of undergraduate and is planning on a one year master's degree. Her car needs new brakes, struts, and shocks. Shop quote was about $2100 for all. I took pity on her and told her I'd do the brakes and cover parts, and she could pay for struts and shocks and I'll do the install. Total bill will be south of $900. Wish this project would have surfaced prior to hunting season.....

Back