Low on Speedgoat

WyoDoug

I did good this year on antelope and filled all three tags. Problem is my wife and I both really love antelope meat and burgers. It replaces beef almost in this house. Only problem is we are running low and almost out already. Can anyone modify the season dates so I can go out now and get some more????? We love game meat, deer, elk but we especially like our antelope meat when I get it.

We got called for a "damage" hunt, The boy and I can each shoot two more starting Monday.

Sorry.
Wyoming used to do that but discontinued the program. I used to put in for depredation hunts all the time. Least at the main office when I went to the licensing counter to get a form to apply they didn't seem to know about them. I sent an inquiry online to be sure because if they do still do them, I want to participate if I can.

Last edited:
Geez Doug, you spent more days hunting them than you did eating them.
So true LOL. Antelope don't have a ton of meat to start with. You might get maybe 30-40 pounds off a doe and between 50 and 70 off a buck. We are almost down to the livers and I am the only one that will eat liver here.

We ended up with 5 antelope for 2020 and we're going through the meat super fast as well. When done right, I'd say antelope is our favorite game meat. We feel for ya Doug...

If you got 70# of MEAT off a goat that was one big antelope @WyoDoug 🤯
That’s damn near the field dressed weights of most of them...
You would be lucky to find those. The area I hunt is dotted with irrigated fields and privates where you can not shoot. I seen some huge bucks there this year not counting the inches on their heads. 50 pounds is more common you will see most places for big bucks even the 14 inchers and better. I am trying to ear to get permission on the irrigated fields to do at least archery.

Maybe mine are just a little under weight cuz I’ve been running them down.....😉
Yup. The big bucks I saw bulk wise were on irrigated rye and sorghum fields and never moved much day or night. They had food and water and were not shot at so why run. Kinda like the two legged types. No exercise you get fat. LOL

🤣sorry WDoug was being a bit
facetious there....was referring to another thread, didn’t really think they were sweating off 30lbs.

🤣sorry WDoug was being a bit
facetious there....was referring to another thread, didn’t really think they were sweating off 30lbs.

You wouldn't see me doing "persistent" hunts. I don't like to shoot running or high pressured game. Meat gets rather strong. My preference is to shoot a bedded animal over one that is highly agitated or alarmed and running around much. I don't like taking wounded animals much either but I would just to be humane and put it down but then it would be put into sausage and burger.

Now I wished I could just sweat off 30 pounds LOL. Disadvantage to what I was talking about is if your preference is lean meat, those animals on irrigated fields that have not yet been harvested, those animals will not be near as lean if they are not getting pressure or very many predators. But taste wise if I can get them, I like them.

I feel your pain. I shot a small deer this year. Only one little girl. We are already down to 2 roasts and a small piece of back strap. My wife just told me she wants more deer meat.

We got called for a "damage" hunt, The boy and I can each shoot two more starting Monday.

Sorry.
If its the one that I got drawn for in Montana, I wouldn't get your hopes up. there hasn't been a antelope there for about a month now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back