Losing a friend...

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

My lab won't hardly eat and doesn't want to get up. The last couple of weeks his health has declined very rapidly. We go in to the vet this afternoon, and I'm not expecting anything good. I've already prepared myself for what I fully expect the prognosis to be, and have done the same with my family.

It's amazing what a part of our lives a dog can be. A lot of roosters and mallards have met their demise because of him.

Attachments

• Max 1.jpg
    Max 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 800
  • Max 2.jpg
    Max 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 821
  • Max 3.jpg
    Max 3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 810
Sorry to hear about your dog. Yes, they become one of the family. Looks like you've had some great times with him. Cherish the great memories you've had together.

I went through this a year ago last summer. There's just nothing easy about it. Just saying I know exactly how you feel.

Sorry to hear, always tough to even think about losing a dog (I consider them a Family Member). Keep your head high and look for a new pup!

I one day hope to be the person my dog thinks I am. Sorry to hear this, and I hope that the visit to the vet is as painless as possible. :(

Hoping for the best for you all. Went through this last fall with ours and it turned out to be arthritis pain that caused him not to eat. He is still with us but not close to 100 percent. We will be making a sad decision soon. Good dogs shouldn't have to go out like this. I always hope that ours will take a nap in the sun one afternoon and not wake up. Hope it turns out OK for you.

Seems the older I get the more I look at them like children. We have an "empty nest" now and the loss is painful. I wish you and your lab the best.

Done that more times than I care to admit. Good thing is you'll never forget. Can still see in my mind certain dogs I have owned doing special things as if it was only yesterday. Thoughts are with you.

Browndog had that 2 weeks ago I thought it was over and so did everyone that called me and said he was going to die after I took him to the vet. He gave him baytril and a bunch of other stuff It took a couple days but he pulled through. Hope vet gets dog healthy again. Neat pictures you posted.

Well, the vet visit was inconclusive. By this evening, Max was doing much better. He ate a couple of times today, and was up and moving around some by this afternoon. At the vet clinic he was acting much more like his old self.

However, this same thing happened last week. He was fine one day, down and out the next two, then fine again, then this last spell.

The vet said it could be several different things, from liver or kidney failure, to diminishing cognitive abilities, to severe arthritis.

Thanks for the kind words, it's tough watching such a good hunting partner go downhill.

One of the most negative characteristics of dogs is they don't live long enough. My last one died midstride after her last pheasant on a friend's farm. We now call the area she died "Maggie's Run."
She is buried in our yard and we now have a great five year old pointing lab, Bart. I try not to think about him slowing down.
Hope your dog holds on for a little longer.
The pictures of your daughter in flipflops with "her" puppy with ice still on the lake are priceless.

Sorry to hear about you dog. It is amazing how us grow men can cry like babies when we loose a dog, They know us so well and will sit and listen to eveything you have to say and seem to be paying attention to every word. They don't judge us and are always so happy to see us.

Sad day when you loose a friend. I can share your feelings.Good memories will last forever.

Rest in peace old friend. God has a new hunting dog today.

Attachments

• chukar hunt 004.jpg
    chukar hunt 004.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 368
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back