Looking into a new pack

I am looking at getting the team elk pack. Anyone have anything good or otherwise to say about it? I dont do huge pack trips but I would like to be able to make one trip out with meat on my back. I have a friend with one and he loves it. Thanks!

All I will say is that Eberlestock had their place in the pack industry at one time. That time has long since passed.

I'm not familiar with that pack. In the same price range I have a horn hunter full curl system that I think is a great pack. Take a look and check it out. Send me a pm if you have any questions.

If your buddy has one borrow his and load it up with some weight and take it for a walk and see how it fits you and if you think you will have enough room for your daily gear and some meat for your trip out. Also go to some stores and try some other packs on after loading them down with some gear from in the store. The Scheels store I went to with my son had a few bags of lead shot there to load into a pack for trial purposes. We also put some big cast iron fry pans in them from the camping section :) there are lots of packs out there that would work for your purpose. My advice is don't get in a rush to buy and try a few first if you can.

At $329, you're not that far off from getting a top shelf american (Bozeman) made pack on the used market.

Yep, I ran an Eberlestock J107 for years. I was pretty naive in what I thought a pack was supposed to feel like. Last year I tried on a Kuiu Icon Pro and couldn't believe the difference. Then when you throw on something like a Stone Glacier, Kifaru, or a Ranch you won't believe the difference in how they feel. I understand you're on a budget but I strongly urge you to round up just a little bit more. Your legs and back will thank you for the next 10 years

At $329, you're not that far off from getting a top shelf american (Bozeman) made pack on the used market.

This.

There have been a number of Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs I've seen going for 350 to 400 bucks. A lot of these packs look like new.

i have a eberlestock j107 dragonfly and like it but am seriously considering a upgrade next year or 2. just weighs to much and needs better pocket design. the base camp bag and molle make it nice to add to but again adds weight. it is made tough and i know it will carry 120+ pounds so there is something to be said about that. my next will probably be a KUIU ultra. i just like the KUIU line so i expect it to be a great pack.

C

I'd look at KUIU as well...I have an Icon pro 1850...plenty big for me and with the load sling you could haul some meat out too. Just got it this spring so no field experience yet but fells nice so far...and not far off price wise from the pack you mentioned.

I'd pay once and get a good one. Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, or Exo Mountain are great.

Thank you all so much for the info! I think I will be looking into a few of these other packs before I make a choice and will probably up my spending limit a bit because it doesn't make sense to go cheap and pay for it later. Which is why I wear Kenetrek boots and have higher end optics. I borrow an eberlestock from my brother now and really do like it especially for the hands free gun holder. But again thanks all for the info!

Skip Eberlestock, I'm glad I did. I went with the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and finally have a pack I like. I spent more than what it cost on 3-4 different packs that just didn't cut it. Get something to get you though, and then save your pennies.

I agree with the comments above. Spend your money on a MR, Stone Glacier, Outdoorsman and skip the painful process of using crappy packs. Hauling out an elk will quickly let you know if you purchased a good pack or not. Eberlestock is not as comfortable/versatile as some of the packs mentioned above.

I've got some kick ass Mystery Ranch packs downstairs, all in different degrees of age/abuse. One is brand new; a Gen 2 Metcalf, my personal favorite of all the MR packs, which is not for sale. My Gen 1 Metcalf might be for sale. My Crew Cab, maybe. One of my Longbows, I'd have to think about it.

If Mrs. Fin ever saw the inventory I snatch up at screaming deals when I drop in at 1750 Evergreen Drive, I would be on an even tighter allowance. Maybe I have a pack fetish. Let's see, I need one for day trips, one for overnight trips, need one for each camera guy, one for the guest hunters. Yeah, I need a lot of them. Living in the same town as a world class pack manufacturer is full of temptations.

Going to AK this month to try out the new Marshall. It is 6700 cubic inches, which seems like a lot more weight than I want to haul up a nasty Devil's Club face for the six hours it takes to get from sea level to the alpine where we will be chasing blacktails. Should make for an adventure, if nothing else.

I've been doing the math of what my gear load will weigh for this hunt, plus hopefully the weight of a jumbo-sized blacktail on the trip down. I'm sure it will rain everyday, adding some more weight to everything. I will give a report of how Marshall works for multi-day hunts (six days on this hunt), following that trip.

Do you think te 2300 is big enough to put meat in if I need?

I've used the Dragonslayer quite a bit, and it's the minimum you'd want for packing meat, but it does work. I've had entire quartered pronghorn in mine, two boned in deer shoulders plus backstraps plus head, and individual bone in elk quarters. It handled all those loads fine, although I did have to get creative on gear and what not on the outside.

The Bighorn is the exact same pack, but is ~1000 cu in larger and has a shove-it pocket. Having that extra room over the Dragonslayer is nice.

Here's my Dragonslayer with last year's pronghorn in it-

318_zps548d4aaa.jpg

Back