Looking into a new pack

Do you think te 2300 is big enough to put meat in if I need?

I wouldn't be scared to haul meat with it. I have a MR Bighorn which is similar but a little bigger at 3000 ci and I've packed pieces of multiple animals with it. With the three zip its really easy to get pieces in to the main body of the pack, but you may not be able to zip the lid closed depending on the height of the load; not a big deal IMO. What I usually do is haul my first (or only depending on animal) with the bighorn and then have my bigger pack in the truck for the rest of the loads. Are you thinking fully boned or bone in quarters? I think there are a couple people on here that have packed animals with DS's.

Edit; I see Randy and I were having the same thoughts at the same time.

Love all the advice! I am torn right now between the Kuiu Icon pro 3200 and the MR Longbow. They are priced about the same so that's not an issue but the Kuiu is a couple lbs lighter. I guess my next step is scraping up some cash and making a decision!

Put a boned out pronghorn in a MR Bighorn. Handled it well.

Buy quality once, rather than cheap 4 times.

I tried the budget pack route for a long time, first with a cabela's pack, then a badlands... Finally got a MR Longbow, and I cannot believe the difference. Hands down, the best money I have ever spent on a piece of hunting equipment.

I tried the budget pack route for a long time, first with a cabela's pack, then a badlands... Finally got a MR Longbow, and I cannot believe the difference. Hands down, the best money I have ever spent on a piece of hunting equipment.

Im in the market myself. Been using a Cabela's Alaskan Frame Pack for 15 years.... Tried on a few medium grade packs over the weekend and cant believe the difference. What a piece of crap! I cant wait to get my hands on a MR

Do you think te 2300 is big enough to put meat in if I need?

Like some said, you can use it to pack meat, but also may want something a bit larger to reduce number of loads. With the Mystery Ranch Longbow or Metcalf you should easily be able to pack out an entire mule deer + head or 1/3-1/2 and elk depending on your legs. The other benefit to these two over the Dragonslayer is that the meat goes on the outside of the pack between the pack and the frame vice having to put it inside the pack with all your gear/clothes/etc.

I have the Longbow and also like having a hands-free method of carrying my rifle. I use the Kifaru Gunbearer attached to my MR pack.
https://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

Pic is of the MR Longbow with the Kifaru Gunbearer and an entire muley...about -20 deg out that day...took awhile before I could feel my fingers after that trip, but got the deer out in one slow haul. Meat is in a sack between the pack and frame and my spotter, field gear, water bladder (frozen by this point) and several extra layers are inside the pack.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 296
BT-549,
Not sure where you are in Ohio, but you can try my MR out anytime. I have the longbow and Metcalf. I did the Alaskan Frame for a couple years and once I switched I'd never go back.

If you haven't already, put 80 lbs in a backpack anf feel the love - some packs out there just don't cut it with that kind of load. If you're looking at KUIU I'd stay away from the ultra packs....the suspension wasn't that impressive carrying weight in my.opinion. icon pro is much better.

If you're looking at an MR, the metcalf is hard to beat, it goes.from tiny to huge, lots of variability.

BT-549,
Not sure where you are in Ohio, but you can try my MR out anytime. I have the longbow and Metcalf. I did the Alaskan Frame for a couple years and once I switched I'd never go back.

Thanks DD... I sent you a PM. Looks like I am about three hours from you, but I have in-laws that live near you so it may work out.

I did a fair amount of research a couple of years ago and bought a Badlands Ox I loved how it hauled meat, but got tired of how heavy it was for day trips. If remember right, I avoided the Eberlestock packs because they tend to place the load lifters too low to take the weight off of your shoulders and place it on your hips & chest.

I have tried a couple of packs since my ox and have fallen in love with the Kuiu Icon (I don't even have the new pro). It hauls a heavy load far better than anything I have ever used. I have let a couple buddies barrow it and they have turned around and instantly bought one as well (I really should start asking for commission). I have hauled out a couple of elk and half of a mature mule deer Without any problems. Two years ago my brother talked me into packing out both hindquarters of a cow elk in one trip; which almost killed me. But, I couldn't believe how well the pack allowed me to carry the weight and move it back and forth from my hips and shoulders to get a break when one part of my body was tired. On top of all of this, the pack weighs almost nothing at all.

I would like to try a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, but haven't dropped the coin, yet.

I prefer using a pack with a meat shelf to keep the meat and blood away from my gear and it seems to make it alot easier, for me, to haul antlers. I also, really like to have pockets on the belt for easy access to a number of things (rangefinder, energy bars, knife, muzzleloader tools...). The pockets on the Kuiu are ok. I wish they were bigger, easier to zip shut and closer to the buckle. I really liked the pockets on the Ox.

I hope that helps. Let me know if

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back