Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Looking for shoulder season help in region 4

One thing some need to understand. The OP is asking for and volunteering to do, something many of us knew would happen, were promised wouldn’t happen and fought long and hard to keep from happening.

Easy to complain about the landowners taking $$ for access while the public is willing to pay. Hell, it happens allover the rest of the country already.
Easy to blame the hunters while the bureaucracy sanctions the season.
Easy to blame the bureaucracy while the hunters line up to shoot the cows during the season nobody wanted.
Easy to blame the politicians while many hunters voted for those very legislators who are behind some of this.
Lotsa' blame to go around.
If this is indeed a problem, where's the ideas, the push, the participation needed to "remedy" it?
The numbers of hunters actually bitching about the "shoulder season" ain't much. Even fewer lining up to do something about it.
Weather is dumping on Montana shoulder season country as we speak (it's a snowin and blowin right now) - I'm sure folks will do "well" in some places the next couple days.................

Not to mention the OP thought it was a "joke"

I agree totally this is a joke or at least I wish it was

In response to this post made by Greenhorn:

Who ideas are the shoulder seasons, the full on state-wide ES for muleys, all the new B-permits for muley does? FWP biologists?

I don't really get it. I suppose I'll snag some b-tags to chew up that quota and won't use them. Surprised so many people think they have to participate. If nobody did, there wouldn't be a problem.

I have seen the enemy...and he is US. In 2015 the problems with shoulder seasons were discussed, "some" thought it was a "joke"...then in 2018, same person asks for help finding a place to pay a trespass fee to hunt a shoulder season. Almost unbelievable....almost.

I think it was P. Sinclair that said something to the extent of "There's 2 things that will make people do things they normally wouldn't...elk and money". Hard to find words more true than that.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...es-Sweeping!/page2&highlight=shoulder+seasons

...and finally, I find no pleasure in being right, once again, about the elk situation in Montana.

Its tragic.

Last edited:
If this is indeed a problem, where's the ideas, the push, the participation needed to "remedy" it?
The numbers of hunters actually bitching about the "shoulder season" ain't much. Even fewer lining up to do something about it.

I think most hunters don’t question FWP management decisions. They figure if it is allowed by the regs, the population must be able to sustain it.

I’d rather eat tag soup than shoot a pregnant cow in January on the winter range.

To the OP, I know, from reading your posts, that you enjoy coming here to hunt. I would encourage you to skip shoulder season for the betterment of the elk herd. Read Randy’s post that Buzz quoted above. I’m sure you don’t want to play a part in that scenario.

I’d rather eat tag soup than shoot a pregnant cow in January on the winter range.

To the OP, I know, from reading your posts, that you enjoy coming here to hunt. I would encourage you to skip shoulder season for the betterment of the elk herd. Read Randy’s post that Buzz quoted above. I’m sure you don’t want to play a part in that scenario.

I did read it . And I agree with it . And I'm not going to come back this winter . I decided against it . Thanks for the input

Yeh cuz montana residents don't shoot any elk during shoulder season...

Don't take it too personal.
Montanan's have long standing tradition of blaming non-residents for their problems.
Hell, eastern Montanan's bitch about western Montanans.
I'm originally from MN, I get irritated when I see MN plates in "my" hunting places. It's not my fault-it just happens.
People move here from wherever, buy their 20 acres and become a Montana locavore, attending all the best summer farmer's markets........
Native Montanan bumper stickers are cool.
Hell, guys actually move away from MT - then they bitch about MT.
We're a special bunch:cool:

Last edited:
I did read it . And I agree with it . And I'm not going to come back this winter . I decided against it . Thanks for the input

I don't blame you for wanting to shoot an elk if you have the tag, in fact, I say go for it. You're absolutely right that plenty of Montana hunters that were adamantly opposed to shoulder seasons are participating. I think bellydeep made a good point that many feel if the FWP is going to allow it, it must be OK. I say if you have a place to hunt and can kill elk, its what the Department wants. They want elk removed from the landscape, period.

The point really isn't about you choosing to participate or not, just that some of us called bullchit from the get-go on these shoulder seasons and the MTFWP. We were promised that there would be no outfitting, no landowners charging trespass fees, and how great this would work.

They (FWP) needs to be reminded of their crap ideas and that many saw what was coming.

BTW, I sent my comments in a couple days ago to the MTFWP on these shoulder seasons, they wanted public comments, they got mine.

Got a text from a friend tonight, he brought up a good point...the elk are already pretty well shot out on public land, now they're being shot out on the accessible lands that allow shoulder seasons. What happens when those are all shot out too? Where next?

There isn't anywhere else unless you have a fat checkbook or a good friend/family with a private ranch.

Last edited:
In 5 years lets talk. Other than that I'm not responding to this type of thread anymore. Attitude isn't good and we have the Legislature just warming up to grease us up. So bend over my friends and enjoy the ram, I mean ride.

Ok just some thought on this subject. So people are opposed to this hunt because the cows being killed are pregnant at the time which in turn is eliminating a future calf from entering the herd. The same is true no matter what time of the year said cow is killed. If she’s killed prior to being pregnant it’s still the same because in almost all cases she would’ve become pregnant. So if a hunter kills a cow elk during this period there’s a chance that that cow was a “mostly” private land cow, and there’s also a chance that cow was a “mostly” public land (Nation Forest) cow. But if a hunter were to shoot a cow during the archery or general season on public land (National Forest) you are almost garenteeing that this cow spends most of the season on public land. So my question is, why are we mad at a Hunter for shooting a cow elk during this season when we congratulate a hunter for filling their tag on a cow during the regular season?

We’re all hunters. There are enough people fighting to take that right away from us. I don’t think we need to help them along by fighting against ourselves. If someone is hunting by legal means, during a legal season, shouldn’t we be happy?

If we think this season shouldn’t exist then let’s try to eliminate it or somehow change it so that it is more favorable. But at this time it is a legal season. We shouldn’t be fighting against our own people.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back