Caribou Gear

Looking for a 308… Maybe

Dsnow9

With all of the 308 ammo available on the shelves relative to anything else I am seriously considering buying one. Anyone have any recommendations. My thoughts are a lighter rifle, 18-20” barrel, threaded. After that I’m not super picky but curious everyone’s thoughts. My browning xbolt long range with a 26” barrel gets ridiculously long and barrel heavy when I put the suppressor on it. It is also over scoped for any close quarter hunting with a 6x24 on it. So looking at a do all gun. Let me hear your ideas.

If you are willing to pass on the threaded/suppressed feature, Tikka T3X SS is an outstanding value. Butter smooth action, very good factory trigger, good price. But the thin barrels not great option for threading/suppressed (actually true of many common factory barrels in "light-ish" rifles).

If you want shorter stiffer barrel for threading/suppressor how about barrelling your xbolt - grab an 18" carbon fiber rebarrel.

Since you're familiar with the X-Bolts, get yourself a bottom tier X-bolt Hunter or stalker in 308. Or as @VikingsGuy said, Tikkas are great too. Those are my suggestions.

Tikka in whichever model you want. Leupold vx3 or vx5 with 3x on the bottom end depending on budget. I'm partial to a simple duplex, especially for anything within 200 yards.

If you are willing to pass on the threaded/suppressed feature, Tikka T3X SS is an outstanding value. Butter smooth action, very good factory trigger, good price. But the thin barrels not great option for threading/suppressed (actually true of many common factory barrels in "light-ish" rifles).

If you want shorter stiffer barrel for threading/suppressor how about barrelling your xbolt - grab an 18" carbon fiber rebarrel.
I didn’t think about rebarrelling, that’s definitely a good idea.

If I had to go with a heavier rifle to keep the threaded barrel I would do that. Threaded is more important than overall weight. My manbun shooting shoulder likes the suppressor…

If I had to go with a heavier rifle to keep the threaded barrel I would do that. Threaded is more important than overall weight. My manbun shooting shoulder likes the suppressor…
carbon fiber give you the necessary diameter and desirable stiffness with no weight penalty (but it adds $250 to the cost)

Get a Ruger American Predator then, it’s light, balances well and has an 18” barrel that’s threaded and it’s unbelievably accurate.

Also, I don't know how the RemArms model 700 compares to older Remington 700's quality, but there are a few models that have a 20" threaded barrel. You may want to also look at Christensen Arms, not sure if their barrels are as short as you mentioned, but they do have threaded barrels and pretty lightweight rifles. Cost of some of these rifles gets up there a bit, not sure what budget you're considering.

If it fits your budget, take a look at the Bergara B14 Ridge and/or Wilderness Ridge. 308 avaialble in an 18" or 20" barrel and threaded at 5/8x24. I don't own one, but I've shot one my friend owns and I thought it was a nice accurate rifle.
+1 to this. Absolutely love my B14 Wilderness Ridge in 300 Win mag. Even the 18" B14 still comes in at 7.2 lbs, so a decent amount heavier than the Tikka. I like the heavier barrel though. Maybe not so critical in .308 but I feel like I can't even shoot 3 shots out of my .270 T3 before I have to let it cool down.

buy a second hand win 70 or take the suppressor off and fit a brake
my go to is an xbolt with 26" n brake, it always pays to wear ear protection regardless and a short barrel is more prone to damaging your ears

Suppressors are fine if at a range or doing a lot of shooting. I think they are fine for short hunts. But if your going back country take it off. You don't want the length to weight. If you shoot it'll be one or two shots, not like practice where you shoot many.

My buddy came out for his first elk hunt with his suppressor. After hitting the barrel on every branch and having the extra weight he hated it. Came back following year no suppressor and with shorter barrel he quit hitting crap. the suppressor is great in his tree stand.

Get you a Browning X bolt in .308. I have the Hells Canyon Speed version. I have several rifles in magnum and standard clambering. For some reason the slow, non magnum, unhipster, and oh so boring .308 is my go to hunting rifle. I use it on all big game. For some reason it kills everything I shoot at with precision accuracy and at ranges that it isn't supposed to. Caution if you get one you may find yourself using it more than your other rifles.

Reactions: Hem

There are a few Tikka models that come with threaded muzzle breaks. Threads are 5/8-24.

I’m a fan of tikka also (although I have not shot an x bolt). I would either rebarrel if you don’t mind loosing the 6.5 or get another xbolt. Good news about the same rifle is that you have more practice with the same form (at least that’s what I tell myself). My FIL got a browning a bolt in 7-08 and shoots great. I would imagine it’s similar in .308. It’s another option that is a bit cheaper.

Also, you could always get a tikka with threaded barrel or just switch it out to one that accepts one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back