Looking for a 308… Maybe

I have heard that before. Something about you shorten the barrel and it get's stiffer

The barrel is stiffer and has different harmonics. Funny thing is with my loads and the rifle still being in the factory plastic varmint stock I can .307 center to center at 100yds and .56 at 250yds, if I do my part.

If looking at Tikka, the T3x CTR comes in 308 threaded 20" barrel.
Looks like Tikka released a new model Roughtech Ember or maybe I missed it a couple weeks ago. Multiple calibers in 20" threaded barrels. 243, 270win, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06. Nice to see some more options.

I suggest go back in time and buy a Remington model 660 in .308 for its lightweight and superior accuracy.

TR

Attachments

• John's antelope.JPG
    John's antelope.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 9
  • big muley .308.JPG
    big muley .308.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 9
If it fits your budget, take a look at the Bergara B14 Ridge and/or Wilderness Ridge. 308 avaialble in an 18" or 20" barrel and threaded at 5/8x24. I don't own one, but I've shot one my friend owns and I thought it was a nice accurate rifle.
I have this rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and it is a very good quality rifle. I would recommend it as well

For cost and weight, it is hard to beat the Howa 1500. It handles well, has a great action and is as accurate as any other rifle I own.

I have this rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and it is a very good quality rifle. I would recommend it as well
Which one did you purchase, and what barrel length. I’m trying to see what rings to put on the rifle but still waiting for it to get shipped.

Which one did you purchase, and what barrel length. I’m trying to see what rings to put on the rifle but still waiting for it to get shipped
Which one did you purchase, and what barrel length. I’m trying to see what rings to put on the rifle but still waiting for it to get shipped.
i have the bergara B14 Ridge in 6.5 creedmoor. It comes in a 24” barrel but the .308 is available in 20”.

They make the special purpose now in ‘22 that comes from the factory in 18”

I will put in a plug for the Springfield 2020 Waypoint in .308. Definitely my favorite rifle. The barrel is short, uses 5 & 10 round AICS mags. It is light with a carbon fiber stock and barrel. Very accurate. Downside is that it is a little pricey.

IMG_0561.JPEG

How has the Bergara B-14 ridge worked out for you? Were you glad you got it?
It’s brand new, Berger just started making it. It is still on a truck. 🤞🏼On shipping times. Should have it in a week or two.

Another vote for Bergara. I have the 18" wilderness ridge and run a Harvester can on it. What sold me on the Bergara is it's one of the few production rifles in that price point that you don't have to upgrade the trigger or a cheap plastic stock.
Did you sell that bergara? I saw a thread of you posting it for sale but navigating this sight is a nightmare

With all of the 308 ammo available on the shelves relative to anything else I am seriously considering buying one. Anyone have any recommendations. My thoughts are a lighter rifle, 18-20” barrel, threaded. After that I’m not super picky but curious everyone’s thoughts. My browning xbolt long range with a 26” barrel gets ridiculously long and barrel heavy when I put the suppressor on it. It is also over scoped for any close quarter hunting with a 6x24 on it. So looking at a do all gun. Let me hear your ideas.
With a 18" barrel, you will not get velocity on said box of ammo. I load for a 16" barrel and I can get close but a fair amount of pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back