Custom bolt gun options

p_ham

I'm building a rifle or 2 this year strictly to sell.

Curious to see what people would be interested in for a hunting gun.

Tikka action? Custom action (R700 footprint)?

Looking at possibly Terminus, Curtis/MPA, ARC, GAP

Most likely a carbon fiber stock

18"-20" barrel for suppressor use?
22"-24" barrel for traditional use?

Carbon fiber or heavy sporter fluted steel?
The steel barrel would be lighter. Don't argue.

Scope or no scope?

Long action? Short action?

Scope or no scope?

Dang it, I’m already sending you my money, why you gotta go and do something like this.

I think a 700 in 6.5 creed, short threaded barrel and no scope for sellability

Trued Rem700 or Tikka action, fluted barrel and any number of stocks. Coated metal and quality parts help sell them.
As for cartridge for an easy sale the PRC or creedmoor variety are popular no doubt.

I'd suggest the 700 clone actions. A few more good ones, besides what you mentioned, Defiance, Zermatt Arms and Lone Peak Arms. I like both carbon fiber and fluted barrels, threaded for a suppressor of course. In stocks/chassis I prefer an adjustable cheek and an unnecessary but nice paint job.

Scope or no scope?

For selling, I think you’d do well with the following:

Custom action of your choice, Game Warden style stock (McMillan, Manners or AG), 18-20” carbon fiber barrel threaded for suppressor, chambered in 7mm PRC with a TriggerTech trigger.

I would not install a scope/mount prior to advertising, as I think this limits your customer base. I would give the buyer the option to add optics mount and scope that you install prior to shipping.

I also think there is a substantial market for you to offer custom package build where you give an option for actions and barrels. That would give your customer the flexibility to choose from Tikka action or custom R700 footprint as well as the barrel material and caliber of choice.

Last edited:
I would shop on LRH classifieds forums and build from the parts I could source. Chamber it in the most mainstream caliber I could. Skip optics as that is just a way to loose money and alienate buyers. Chevy verse Ford problem

Remember this isn’t about your likes, it’s about furthering your business, and making a profit.

Also if you reach out to Pierce Engineering directly you can buy their actions in batches and save money. They are 700 CNC clones that are made to perfection.

700 clone, carbon everything, no optic(add at sale), 20 moa rail, triggertech trigger over length box if possible. Base barrel length off caliber, but focus on weight savings i think thats where customs are going.

Also a good budget 700 build is a easy sale. Tons of guys who want a nice shooter but don’t want to mortgage a house.

Those PTG Custom shop barreled actions maybe at a price point where you can turn them around for a profit.

Finish them, true scope holes, mount them in a B&C stock, and test shoot a group. You will have around 1000 into them, you can sell it as a semi custom for 1300 on the forums all day.

hmmm, no one has suggested a 98 Krag yet? A 1903 is pretty passé, but you could really cut up the carpet with a custom Krag.

:)

I think Ken nailed it. Another vote for a 700, perhaps a 7mm-HT to take advantage of a shorter barrel option. I’m all for the carbon fiber options, but it generally doesn’t do the budget any favors

I think Ken nailed it. Another vote for a 700, perhaps a 7mm-HT to take advantage of a shorter barrel option. I’m all for the carbon fiber options, but it generally doesn’t do the budget any favors
If Ken is the intended buyer, he has higher quality taste.

Building these with the intention of sale needs to be to tailored to the market he wants to sell in. The more expensive the build the narrower the market share.

This is a more a question of what is most sellable to grow my business.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back