Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Custom bolt gun options

What about a 700/tika build with either a carbon or fluted barrel?

Make it in a popular caliber that ISN’T offered the big makers. I mean, whose making a modern 25-06 on the market today?!

Walnut and stainless is an epic combo.

With Dakota gone and their replacement essentially full custom, and Cooper gone for the foreseeable future (and if Nighthawk's pistol prices are any indication, the new ones will be out of the reach of most), just an honest slick action with a good barrel and good, not exceptional wood with a test target would have you instantly busy.
Good point.

Interesting what guys want. Some want every cool thing available. Some just want a rifle. Good luck p_ham. Whatever you decide it's a given the quality will be top notch. mtmuley
That's what makes the decision somewhat challenging. The easy option is to just build to spec which is what most of the small shops are doing.

LRH has a lot of new I changed my mind deals. If patient you can amass some good deals on components to use on a future build.

My 260ai parts came from there with exception of the barrel. You would never know after everything was bead blasted and clear Cerakoted.

I have done a lot of business with Jim at Pierce, they are top notch. If I did another build it will be with their action. Now, I cannot get a 700 CNC trued for what I can buy theirs for.

I think it‘s really important to set clear goals. What are they? Make a large profit? Sell rifles easily? Find a niche?

One of the most popular threads I’ve seen in a minute is your lever action thread.

A Brazilian companies are producing carbon fiber this and that.

I LOVE the idea of something truly beautiful and functional. Matte stainless with a beautiful burled tree makes me drool. What if you flute and mill the shiz out of some stainless to go lightweight and then use your woodworking skills to make something truly custom?

I think it‘s really important to set clear goals. What are they? Make a large profit? Sell rifles easily? Find a niche?

One of the most popular threads I’ve seen in a minute is your lever action thread.

A Brazilian companies are producing carbon fiber this and that.

I LOVE the idea of something truly beautiful and functional. Matte stainless with a beautiful burled tree makes me drool. What if you flute and mill the shiz out of some stainless to go lightweight and then use your woodworking skills to make something truly custom?
A problem he is going to have is time verses profit. He has the skill but those builds take copious amounts of time. He will need to have enough projects done and sold to keep the business afloat. Selling one or two guns a month won’t keep the lights on.

I agree those builds are beautiful but I doubt they would be a economical business plan in a one man shop.

I think if you offered a rifle with a light contour barrel with flared muzzle allowing for proper sized threads you would have a winner.
Similar to a field craft. Those things seem to be going for stupid money now that they are no longer being made.

Tough sell for a hunting rifle. Look around these days. Hunting rifles are starting to look like the military issued them. The Smith I use is an exceptional stock maker. It's a smaller and smaller part of his work. mtmuley

trued remington 700 action, 24 in steel barrel, good stock, don't bother with the scope chambered in ether 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.

trued remington 700 action, 24 in steel barrel, good stock, don't bother with the scope chambered in ether 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.
Agree, but without an advertisement budget I would chamber in whatever Hornday is pushing. They spend millions on advertising and make a cartridge popular. Use that to your advantage to pry money off from their Ad agencies work.

Also, there is a reason why we snatch up @brockel sales. The picture of the groups really sells a rifles price point.

For production guns, I would pick 2 cartridges and focus on them. The same components will last you a long time. You get a high power test scope and develop a middle of the road sub MOA load. Use that same load for test firing new copy production rifles. Include that card as photo evidence of it is a Shooter.

I’ve never understood this. It’s the hoopty effect. We’ve all seen the station wagon with a “vette motor” rollin’ on spinners. A custom rifle with a Savage action…? 🤔
Don't knock it till ya try it.
;)
Nothing like a 351 Cleveland engine in a Pinto. :eek:

Lately my friend & i have been "building" the rifles that we want using the Savage Axis action.

If i could find a rifle that had the fit & finish and light weight of the NULA rifles at the price of an E.R. Shaw, i'd buy several!

Had a random thought sitting here - what if you spend the time to produce something awesome, like that 45-70 you did, then sell raffle tickets to the guys on here for $50 each for a chance to win it? You could set a max number of tickets that would sell and you could set the total number you want to sell. I’d drop $150 for tickets if I knew there was a chance I could win something that is likely worth $2,800 - that could be illegal or not worth the hassle, just a thought so you can do what you love (hell, I’d pre buy tickets so you have the cash up front).

Had a random thought sitting here - what if you spend the time to produce something awesome, like that 45-70 you did, then sell raffle tickets to the guys on here for $50 each for a chance to win it? You could set a max number of tickets that would sell and you could set the total number you want to sell. I’d drop $150 for tickets if I knew there was a chance I could win something that is likely worth $2,800 - that could be illegal or not worth the hassle, just a thought so you can do what you love (hell, I’d pre buy tickets so you have the cash up front).
Now there is an idea.

I would love a 45/70 from him. I have dreamed of owning one.

Back