Custom bolt gun options

My initial post described a Brockel rifle, however a 7 Mashburn is far from boring.

Good point on leaving the mounts and optic to the buyer.

Do not do a canine red shroud & knob. Pad…yes.

Don't knock it till ya try it.
;)
Nothing like a 351 Cleveland engine in a Pinto. :eek:

Lately my friend & i have been "building" the rifles that we want using the Savage Axis action.

If i could find a rifle that had the fit & finish and light weight of the NULA rifles at the price of an E.R. Shaw, i'd buy several!

I know a guy that has a 70’s Chevy station wagon with a stroked Chevy he built. He’s a mechanic and it rips. He loves that it’s a sleeper. However, it’s still a 70’s station wagon.

I’ve handled just enough Savages to understand them. They’re an okay piece equipment for the money. They’re cheap, and made cheap. Tolerances are loose, and the alloys are cheap. They’re not made to last.

More power to anyone that wants to shoot one. They definitely have a market niche. I just can’t imagine buildings a custom rifle using their parts.

Oh, if you can get me a drive in a Pinto with a sauced and tossed small block Ford I’ll love every moment.

Can you imagine being a Hot Rod shop and starting with a Pinto each build?

Had a random thought sitting here - what if you spend the time to produce something awesome, like that 45-70 you did, then sell raffle tickets to the guys on here for $50 each for a chance to win it? You could set a max number of tickets that would sell and you could set the total number you want to sell. I’d drop $150 for tickets if I knew there was a chance I could win something that is likely worth $2,800 - that could be illegal or not worth the hassle, just a thought so you can do what you love (hell, I’d pre buy tickets so you have the cash up front).

I’ll put $100 bucks down right now. That rifle is amazing. Shiz, you could build one a year, dedicate 10% each year to the corner crossing fund, and I’ll spend $100 every year. I’d bet my left 🌰 that there are 100 guys on here that would do the same.

Had a random thought sitting here - what if you spend the time to produce something awesome, like that 45-70 you did, then sell raffle tickets to the guys on here for $50 each for a chance to win it? You could set a max number of tickets that would sell and you could set the total number you want to sell. I’d drop $150 for tickets if I knew there was a chance I could win something that is likely worth $2,800 - that could be illegal or not worth the hassle, just a thought so you can do what you love (hell, I’d pre buy tickets so you have the cash up front).
That's something to look into, but I've heard that online raffles have so much red tape they're not worth the hassle. I believe only nonprofits are allowed to charge for a ticket also but I'd have to research that. Either way, a lawyer should be involved to write the rules.

.22 creedmoor on a 700 action, 22” heavy barrel, straight fluting, no threads, rifle basix or timney trigger so I can buy it from you.😂

Every builder does their version of a m700 clone and most of em are yawners.

What I’d like to see is something designed purely for function without bullshit that adds cost. Use a tikka action because it’s cheaper than all the clones, runs better than most of them, and has a more reliable trigger than all of em.

Use premium steel barrel with something from a tikka lite to a rem magnum contour @ 18” long but belled at muzzle for 5/8” threads if contour is not heavy enough. No carbon or glitzy fluting that adds cost and increases odds of the barrel being finicky IMO. I think if you did runs of just these barrels in a few cartridges (more on that later) to make it more efficient you’d get buyers.

The real difference maker would be in the stock. Get someone to build a stock that’s actually designed around breaking good shots and managing recoil! Gunwerks magnus or nexus shape is a good basis to start with. Needs zero drop at heel, negative comb, flat toe to ride well on rear bag, a vertical grip that’s close to the trigger (lots of vertical grips leave me reaching still) with a nice thumb shelf, parallel fore end. Leave the channel open ala manners LRH or PH or how grayboe does it. That way it’s one single inlet for all Tikkas, allows flexibility with switching barrels and way less custom work needed. Don’t give a shit what it’s made out of. If it’s some plastic that meets weight and stiffness requirements, holds up well functionally, and keeps price down, fine by me.

Sell in 223 Wylde, 22 creedmoor, 6 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC. Maybe 308 win, 284 win, 7 PRC, and some 6 BR variant (if you can be sure they’ll feed 100%).

Maybe offer some 22 or 24” barrel options of you must for the non suppressor guys.

The market would be people that use the rifle as a tool, strive to be better rounded rifleman, are going to beat it up an burn out barrels so they don’t want to waste $ on carbon everything or some super pretty flute job. Basically this would be similar to a gunwerks werkman without the scope or “system” schtick.

I’ll have tikkas like this in 223 and 6 creed soon with a spare 6.5 creed barrel. The peice that doesn’t exist yet is the stock. I’ll probably use Frankenstein’d factory stocks or KRG bravos until the right stock exists.

Last edited:
What about a 700/tika build with either a carbon or fluted barrel?

Make it in a popular caliber that ISN’T offered the big makers. I mean, whose making a modern 25-06 on the market today?!

Walnut and stainless is an epic combo.
I'm considering 7mm-08, 280AI, 25-06, 257 Roberts, 300 WSM, maybe 308 win.
Along with the Creedmoor's and PRC rounds, even though mentioning them puts a taste in my mouth.

I could throw together a Tikka pretty reasonably priced.
I agree, stainless and walnut does make a nice rifle.

LRH has a lot of new I changed my mind deals. If patient you can amass some good deals on components to use on a future build.

My 260ai parts came from there with exception of the barrel. You would never know after everything was bead blasted and clear Cerakoted.

I have done a lot of business with Jim at Pierce, they are top notch. If I did another build it will be with their action. Now, I cannot get a 700 CNC trued for what I can buy theirs for.
I'll contact Pierce about setting up an account. I was looking at Pure Precision also.

I think it‘s really important to set clear goals. What are they? Make a large profit? Sell rifles easily? Find a niche?

One of the most popular threads I’ve seen in a minute is your lever action thread.

A Brazilian companies are producing carbon fiber this and that.

I LOVE the idea of something truly beautiful and functional. Matte stainless with a beautiful burled tree makes me drool. What if you flute and mill the shiz out of some stainless to go lightweight and then use your woodworking skills to make something truly custom?
My heart is really with the levers and other interesting rifles. The downside of that is they're more of a niche market. Not that it's a bad thing other than finding interested parties with the funds necessary for the added work.
I do like the fluted stainless look. I also built an octagon barrel 338-06 that came in at 7lbs scoped that I absolutely fell in love with.

A problem he is going to have is time verses profit. He has the skill but those builds take copious amounts of time. He will need to have enough projects done and sold to keep the business afloat. Selling one or two guns a month won’t keep the lights on.

I agree those builds are beautiful but I doubt they would be a economical business plan in a one man shop.
Time is always the major issue. I'm looking for a supplier for walnut stocks that are ready or close to ready to go. Not Boyds.

trued remington 700 action, 24 in steel barrel, good stock, don't bother with the scope chambered in ether 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.
I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen a 300 Win Mag.

What’s the next fad? Is everyone going to be carrying precision/tactical ugliness? Trends change. I hear yah @mtmuley and @Addicting. I think that’s why it’s so important for him to identify what he wants to do.
The trend now is carbon fiber everything. If not a Proof barrel, everybody is doing spiral flute barrels.

Also, there is a reason why we snatch up @brockel sales. The picture of the groups really sells a rifles price point.

For production guns, I would pick 2 cartridges and focus on them. The same components will last you a long time. You get a high power test scope and develop a middle of the road sub MOA load. Use that same load for test firing new copy production rifles. Include that card as photo evidence of it is a Shooter.
I'm actually looking at just doing testing with factory ammo. Either Federal or Nosler Premium, but factory nonetheless.

.22 creedmoor on a 700 action, 22” heavy barrel, straight fluting, no threads, rifle basix or timney trigger so I can buy it from you.😂
Find a 700 and send it on out!

My initial post described a Brockel rifle, however a 7 Mashburn is far from boring.

Good point on leaving the mounts and optic to the buyer.

Do not do a canine red shroud & knob. Pad…yes.
No red rockets? Bummer. :ROFLMAO:

a 24in barreled copy of the rem ks rifle with a no cheekpiece stock, in non mag nums, 26 in magnums, spiral flute bolt, with the heavier kimber contour barrel like lilja makes,,,
Isn't that one of their "mountain rifles?" B&C stock?

I have no use for it where I live. If MI allowed it he would have already built it. We talked it and it just isn’t in the cards for me. But a man can dream…
Have you seen the .360 Buckhammer Remington released?

Every builder does their version of a m700 clone and most of em are yawners.

What I’d like to see is something designed purely for function without bullshit that adds cost. Use a tikka action because it’s cheaper than all the clones, runs better than most of them, and has a more reliable trigger than all of em.

Use premium steel barrel with something from a tikka lite to a rem magnum contour @ 18” long but belled at muzzle for 5/8” threads if contour is not heavy enough. No carbon or glitzy fluting that adds cost and increases odds of the barrel being finicky IMO. I think if you did runs of just these barrels in a few cartridges (more on that later) to make it more efficient you’d get buyers.

The real difference maker would be in the stock. Get someone to build a stock that’s actually designed around breaking good shots and managing recoil! Gunwerks magnus or nexus shape is a good basis to start with. Needs zero drop at heel, negative comb, flat toe to ride well on rear bag, a vertical grip that’s close to the trigger (lots of vertical grips leave me reaching still) with a nice thumb shelf, parallel fore end. Leave the channel open ala manners LRH or PH or how grayboe does it. That way it’s one single inlet for all Tikkas, allows flexibility with switching barrels and way less custom w"ork needed. Don’t give a shit what it’s made out of. If it’s some plastic that meets weight and stiffness requirements, holds up well functionally, and keeps price down, fine by me.

Sell in 223 Wylde, 22 creedmoor, 6 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC. Maybe 308 win, 284 win, 7 PRC, and some 6 BR variant (if you can be sure they’ll feed 100%).

Maybe offer some 22 or 24” barrel options of you must for the non suppressor guys.

The market would be people that use the rifle as a tool, strive to be better rounded rifleman, are going to beat it up an burn out barrels so they don’t want to waste $ on carbon everything or some super pretty flute job. Basically this would be similar to a gunwerks werkman without the scope or “system” schtick.

I’ll have tikkas like this in 223 and 6 creed soon with a spare 6.5 creed barrel. The peice that doesn’t exist yet is the stock. I’ll probably use Frankenstein’d factory stocks or KRG bravos until the right stock exists.
Good points here. I agree that it's hard to beat a Tikka action. The downside is that stock options are less, although that doesn't matter if the design is well made. The specs you described sound more like a PRS stock to me but I could be interpreting wrong.

I do like the idead of doing a 223 trainer style rifle. 6 Creed is also becoming very popular.

So in short, people are looking for:
Traditional walnut and steel
Carbon fiber everything
No carbon fiber
Shorter barrel
Longer barrel
Dual function bench/ field
Visually stunning
Utilitarian
Fluting
No fluting
Tikka
Not Tikka
$1200 semi custom
$4000 full custom
$700 budget rifle

Did I miss anything? :ROFLMAO:

Good points here. I agree that it's hard to beat a Tikka action. The downside is that stock options are less, although that doesn't matter if the design is well made. The specs you described sound more like a PRS stock to me but I could be interpreting wrong.

I do like the idead of doing a 223 trainer style rifle. 6 Creed is also becoming very popular.

More like gunwerks clymr stock, basically like that but more vertical grip maybe lil longer fore end. Could still be fairly sleek and light and doesn’t need full or any arca. I don’t see why that isn’t a better “hunting” stock than what looks like a “hunting” stock to most people. I’m thinking 6.5-7.25# bare rifle weight. Just the barrel for my gamer rifle weighs more than that.

Put probably 100 rounds through my tikka 223 in an hr at the range today. Zero cares given about the barrel heating up. The more I shoot it, the less I want to shoot my custom magnums.

Don’t know if the market demand is there yet for my idea. People get sucked into fluting (forgot to add, don’t flute the bolt either! No reason to add costs for minimal weight savings and make more room for stuff to get in the action) and carbon, stocks that feel like what they’re used to, and other silly things. BUT I bet it gets there pretty quick!

Last edited:
More like gunwerks clymr stock, basically like that but more vertical grip maybe lil longer fore end. Could still be fairly sleek and light and doesn’t need full or any arca. I don’t see why that isn’t a better “hunting” stock than what looks like a “hunting” stock to most people. I’m thinking 6.5-7.25# bare rifle weight. Just the barrel for my gamer rifle weighs more than that.

Put probably 100 rounds through my tikka 223 in an hr at the range today. Zero cares given about the barrel heating up. The more I shoot it, the less I want to shoot my custom magnums.

Don’t know if the market demand is there yet for my idea. People get sucked into fluting (forgot to add, don’t flute the bolt either! No reason to add costs for minimal weight savings and make more room for stuff to get in the action) and carbon, stocks that feel like what they’re used to, and other silly things. BUT I bet it gets there pretty quick!
The mcmillan game warden LR checks alot of boxes, no tikka inlet in their description through.

Not that many people treat their rifles as tools. I'm certainly guilty of getting the new shiny thing instead of spending that money on burning a handful of barrels to the ground on the rifles I already have.

The Mack Bros action is pretty intriguing for a no frills 700 clone that doesn't cost much.

So in short, people are looking for:
Traditional walnut and steel
Carbon fiber everything
No carbon fiber
Shorter barrel
Longer barrel
Dual function bench/ field
Visually stunning
Utilitarian
Fluting
No fluting
Tikka