MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Proof Carbon vs Steel barrels

That’s an interesting question: does the CF insulate the barrel, holding the heat IN?

Maybe some? I know mirage seems to become an issue faster with carbon barrels which would indicate they shed heat faster. My gut feel based at reading about this is the bore on a carbon is going to heat up faster than a comparable weight steel barrel because it has less steel to disperse the heat. I also expect them to cool faster for the same reason and the carbon doesn't seem to be enough of an insulator to prevent that from happening.

This phenomenon is obvious with steel barrels comparing a sporter to a heavy contour. Heavy barrel heats up a lot slower but if you get it piping hot its going to take a lot longer to cool down too.

You can get to your goal of 7.5# with a steel barrel. I have a 17” 6.5prc that’s just shy of 8lbs with a leupold vx5hd and a banish 30 on it. Lighter weight scope would get it there. If you have to have the carbon fiber barrel there are better choices than proof

Maybe some? I know mirage seems to become an issue faster with carbon barrels which would indicate they shed heat faster. My gut feel based at reading about this is the bore on a carbon is going to heat up faster than a comparable weight steel barrel because it has less steel to disperse the heat. I also expect them to cool faster for the same reason and the carbon doesn't seem to be enough of an insulator to prevent that from happening.
I don't know that there is really an answer it looks like carbon fiber can be made to conduct heat better than steel but can also be used as an insulator depending on its makeup.

"For instance, high thermal conductivity carbon fiber is often used in electronics to dissipate heat away from sensitive components. On the other hand, low thermal conductivity carbon fiber is ideal for insulating applications where heat needs to be contained"

Carbon is not an isotropic material like steel, so the orientation of the fibers and the makeup of the epoxy have a huge effect in both it's mechanical and thermal properties.

You can get to your goal of 7.5# with a steel barrel. I have a 17” 6.5prc that’s just shy of 8lbs with a leupold vx5hd and a banish 30 on it. Lighter weight scope would get it there. If you have to have the carbon fiber barrel there are better choices than proof

I know TS Customs was happy with benchmark carbons thus far while back which are also light like proofs. I'd personally go bartlein but the lightest bartlein isn't particularly light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back