Looking at buying a new rifle... Custom? Semi-Custom?

That Sako is one nice looking rifle!!
Jeez, I might have to look at them ,maybe in an -06 as back up...I'm not starting a new brass collection to refill.
Like I said,the 7mm WM caliber is the one I have heard is as consistant and has similar results as 30-06 over all. Maybe better at distance.

I am a Browning A Bolt fan.I now have 5 of then. 243,280,270WSM,300WSM and 30-06. They all shoot pretty good but when I go out hunting I usually will take the 270WSM .It just out shines the rest for accuracy. If I could only keep one rifle ,the 270WSM for a do it all rifle. and the recoil is pretty tame with the SIMS recoil pad.

I would think you could get several economy rifles and be able to get moa accuracy out of it. The ruger american comes to mind. You can go with a premium production gun and spend around 1000 to 1500 and come closer to guaranteeing yourself moa. The next step is custom or custom rebuild and all but guarantees moa for 2000 on up. I still think I would start at a gunsmith and see what they say. A crown job, bedding job, and truing the action shouldn't be too bad. If you rebuild your gun you can even change the caliber if you choose. Though its hard to argue on the versatility of the 7 mag for a western gun.

Having a new crown cut will run you between 50 and 75 bucks. You can do the pillar bedding yourself for about 50 bucks.

Well, both guns did their part this weekend. The AR-15 spoke first when some pigs showed up last night. The bigger one was pushing 200lbs, it took some effort and some ingenuity to get it in the back of the truck.

4E9C36CE-4F98-4191-830D-540FB87C207D.jpg

I misjudged the deer. Had some significant ground shrinkage. Probably should have let him walk but running short on days left to hunt and we are completely out of venison so he picked the wrong time to walk by I guess. When I walked up to him I saw that he was really small bodied and I first thought he might have been a superstar 1 1/2 year old but according the to jawbone it looks like he was just a small bodied 2 1/2 year old. He should be good eating though.

9FF867E3-1377-4283-BE94-D0E7F8087921.jpg

7F938D47-A3F2-4330-8229-AF19AEC89599.jpg

The one I missed a couple weeks ago may have been this guys daddy.

Last edited:
Yes. It has come back pretty well. Very few larger trees let alive, but lots of thick brushy stuff. Tons of dead standing trees scattered around, makes it tough to spot animals. I end up behind the glass about 90% of the time I'm sitting in my blind.

This guy was just walking through this morning, I haven't kept up with my trail cameras this year so not sure if he was a regular on my property or not.

Good sized boar there.. And yep, a 200 lb pig is a lot tougher to load than a 200 lb deer. I love hunting those things.

You may have mentioned it earlier, but what caliber is the AR?

It's a .223/5.56. Shot placement is key on those big pigs and it has always been really good at that. 55 grains right behind the ear.

Well I still haven't bought a new rifle and since Winchester quit making the Winchester Supreme ammo with the Nosler E-Tip I've been relegated to finding some new ammo for this rifle for my upcoming bear hunt. I bought a box of Nosler 150 gr E-Tips, Hornady 139 gr GMX and Federal Premium ammo loaded with 160 gr Nosler Partitions.

I'll probably shoot a couple more times before I declare victory, but the gun seems to like the 160 gr partitions which is probably not a terrible ammo choice for a bear hunt.

Hornady 139 gr GMX
17D48AD0-A675-4681-8A03-2CD15736A6C2.jpg

Nosler 150 gr E-Tip
3BDE0800-3AC5-47A5-9112-DFFA08A0AEDE.jpg

Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Partition
3BA452C1-60FB-4A30-8EDC-4BC2EFE1DE6D.jpg

Really all 3 of those groups are better than I was getting when I started this whole process with the loose screws on the action. Not sure why the lighter bullets grouped to the left a bit and the heavier one grouped right on. I didn't adjust the scope at all.

Think I'm going to stick with the Nosler Partitions for this hunt anyway. They are probably easier to find in a pinch if I needed to as well.

Still haven't found the perfect gun to replace it with.

Thanks again for all the input on this.

Nathan

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back