Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Longrange OK for some?

I just hope we don't get a lot of snow this winter so I can get out on my long range ground and have a little bang a gong fun. Last year it was too deep to use an ATV and I don't have a sled, and no I am not walking that far to re-paint that damn thing:D

GH why so defensive? This post was not all about you, but you made it so with the awesome pics of your son. Shake his hand for me. Ummm what bag should I eat? Sorry, I'm teared up remember? mtmuley

My take may be different than some.

I believe, that as a general rule, long range hunting is largely not alright. I think too many hunters believe in their minds they, and their equipment, are way better than they actually are. I'll go out on a limb and say most. Just head to a rifle range the few weeks before opening day, and you'll see it, all day long.

Another thing that really has never made sense to me is taking a long shot when its easy to get closer. I see that crap on TV all the time, taking long shots when getting closer is no problem. In those instances, they arent taking the long shot because they cant get closer, they're doing so to sell a product or a TV show. Thats flat wrong, IMO. I would also like to see some "reality" in those shows...not just the good days, but also the bad.

But, there are areas, conditions, and circumstances that a small sub-set of the hunting population that really know their stuff when it comes to shooting, can use to their advantage. That I have no problem with.

I also believe that if a person is constantly using LR shooting as a crutch to piss poor hunting skills, they're missing the boat. Not every animal, in fact many of the best big-game animals, just arent in places that make them vulnerable to LR hunting. They have to be hunted differently.

Long way of saying that LR skills are just another wrench in the total hunting tool-box.

Buzz summed it up pretty well.

Greenhorn, dont forget you were accusing LR hunters of blowing legs off over on the campfire not too long ago. Has your opinion changed now?

At 100 yards the wind can be howling, my rifle scope tilted 5 degrees, my altitude 6000' higher and temp 50 degrees colder than when sighted in rifle, my pulse pumping and thin air muddling my thoughts along with my cheek 1/4" different on the stock due to fscemask and I should be okay. At some distance beyond 200 yards even the temp of the powder in my cartridge is coming into play as well as if my barrel is clean or dirty. Is there a nick on my bullet or are winds shifting in the mountains or just blowing 3 directions? Does travel time to target provide time for the animal to move?

If any of you claim you will not screw up more 1000 yard shots than 200 yard shots then hope you can easily forget the shots that go very badly. They will.

Buzz summed it up pretty well.

Greenhorn, dont forget you were accusing LR hunters of blowing legs off over on the campfire not too long ago. Has your opinion changed now?

It hasn't changed about guys calling a 1000 yard shot a "chip shot" at game - which is what that was about. My son can shoot and this was half that range and top equipment.

My first elk was a cow at 475 yards, give or take a few steps and dropped her dead. My last antelope was 176 with no wind and perfect conditions and I ended up spining him because I anticipated him about to run and he didn't and it breaks my heart that he suffered. There's so many variables to a shot at any distance. I like to keep my shots at 200 yards or less, but I practice out to 500. For me it's just like archery...practice at longer distance than you would really shoot in less than perfect conditions

Last edited:
For the record the "chip shot" I was referring too was 400-500 yards. I have as much confidence in that shot as I do at 200-300 with my rifle. I had the chance the other day to shoot a cow at 600 yds and as bad as I wanted too my conscience said don't do you can get closer and I did.
I believe it is that moment of truth that we all have to analyze in most situations hunting and must do what we know is best and right and what we are confident in.

I got a 30-06 with a fancy Leupold CDS dial that goes up to 12. I just got it the week before hunting season and it was dead on at 100 yards when the dial was on one. Guess I'm good to go out to 1200 yards. :)

GH why so defensive? This post was not all about you, but you made it so with the awesome pics of your son. Shake his hand for me. Ummm what bag should I eat? Sorry, I'm teared up remember? mtmuley

Who was it about?

Trump card....to me anyway. The option to close in is always exercised.

Most folks with a negative opinion about guys who can shoot well at a distance, have never seen it firsthand, or don't understand the dynamics involved. The guys that do know it, study it, practice it, know their limitations, their equipment's limitations and stay within those parameters.

I agree with john but honestly I think bow hunters wound more animals than rife or black powder.

My take may be different than some.

I believe, that as a general rule, long range hunting is largely not alright. I think too many hunters believe in their minds they, and their equipment, are way better than they actually are. I'll go out on a limb and say most. Just head to a rifle range the few weeks before opening day, and you'll see it, all day long.

Another thing that really has never made sense to me is taking a long shot when its easy to get closer. I see that crap on TV all the time, taking long shots when getting closer is no problem. In those instances, they arent taking the long shot because they cant get closer, they're doing so to sell a product or a TV show. Thats flat wrong, IMO. I would also like to see some "reality" in those shows...not just the good days, but also the bad.

But, there are areas, conditions, and circumstances that a small sub-set of the hunting population that really know their stuff when it comes to shooting, can use to their advantage. That I have no problem with.

I also believe that if a person is constantly using LR shooting as a crutch to piss poor hunting skills, they're missing the boat. Not every animal, in fact many of the best big-game animals, just arent in places that make them vulnerable to LR hunting. They have to be hunted differently.

Long way of saying that LR skills are just another wrench in the total hunting tool-box.

Buzz---You saved me from making a lengthy post when I read yours on this subject. All I can say is right on!!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back