Longrange OK for some?

I guess a few years ago I would be on the "long range ain't hunting" I have watch a few of the shows where 800 yard shots looked like me shooting at 200. I would say I've softened my stance since seeing them do it. I even get the wild hair sometimes of reloading and working on long range shooting but never have. I've had quite a few elk at 600 yards that I haven't been able to cut the yardage on, and it sure would come in handy.

So for instance I posted my antelope story here recently. I know my ranges with my rifle can kill the crap out of target at 400 yards at the range. So I took a 330 yard shot prone off a bipod The only variable being the howling wind ..now do I need to wait until there is a perfect crosswind day at the range before I take that shot and besides that you are claiming people are taking shots on targets they shouldn't have. And are you really just here to argue or are you here to listen to opinions. You keep egging people to talk so listen

So if you've never shot long range, someone packs a rifle up the hill and then coaches you into a long shot it is ok? Hypothetical of course. mtmuley

Is it OK? could be. What if the person shooting practiced a lot and can hammer the 10X all day long at 300 yards with a scope that had no fancy dials, but would not shoot farther normally with that gun because he just did not know what the hold over was? Now he has a chance to take a longer shot because he has equipment and advice where to hold over or what to turn in for your drop compensation. Like I said, personal ethics choice.

Ranger, I'm saying some shots are taken and described here that shouldn't be. AND I'm saying some here overlook that because of the said shooter or shooters. Simple as that. mtmuley

Can you link the threads you are talking about? Just like LR shooting itself, context matters and it'd be easier to have a discussion as I think for many around here it isn't black and white, it's shades of grey.

My wife can shoot x's all day long at 200 yards with her rifle and she listens well to my direction. She hits at 300 just as good and I would have no problem with her taking a 300 yard shot in the right conditions. I have talked her through shots all the way out to 450 yards, but I wouldn't give her the green light on a shot that far on an animal. She is a new hunter, and her adrenaline will be pumping like crazy. Eventhough I know she could make the shot in the right circumstances, I wouldn't feel right, and she has told me that she wouldn't either.

Ranger, I'm saying some shots are taken and described here that shouldn't be. AND I'm saying some here overlook that because of the said shooter or shooters. Simple as that. mtmuley

The only bias I see is if someone is from Montana... Then it's a free pass ;)

schmalts, Long range stuff isn't OK here, remember?

Not going into that stuff again, just floating my opinion to your hypothetical question. For the record, I have taken a mule deer at 500 yards. So I do on occasion use the skills I gained through lots of practice and the tuning of my equipment. I don't have a problem with long shots, just guys who shouldn't do it because they suck at 100 yards. This is also the reason I sent a gun brand down the road that others will defend as being so great because it would not shoot well enough to make me feel confident if a long shot was possible.

Last edited:
You can call yourself from Montana, or you are a Montanan. Difference there. mtmuley

So if you've never shot long range, someone packs a rifle up the hill and then coaches you into a long shot it is ok? Hypothetical of course. mtmuley

No. But it's not ok that people put kids that can't even hold up a gun in a blind and have them shoot animals with guns that they haven't shot either.

Can you link the threads you are talking about? Just like LR shooting itself, context matters and it'd be easier to have a discussion as I think for many around here it isn't black and white, it's shades of grey.
Sounds like he's referring to Greenhorn's recounting of his son's hunt.

Long range shooting is accomplished by equipment that is accurate, conditions that are ideal and the shooter having the ability to control him or herself and squeeze the trigger.

I wouldn't of ever believed it until I tried it for myself. Until you have a rifle that can actually make those shots you'll be an unbeliever. My first time shooting one was awesome. To hear someone say that a 400-500 yard shot is a chip shot is hard to believe and out of 90% of most peoples range with normal rifles. I shot and had my wife shoot it. Her first shot at 475 drilled the 2 liter pop bottle dead center. She doesn't shoot a lot and proved to me that it's a lot to do with equipment and conditions.

I firmly believe that If someone shoots solid groups with their rifles and practices they can pick up one of these amazing guns and make a 400+ shot easily. Again if the wind is blowing and you don't have a solid rest then I don't believe you have any business flinging a bullet.

That's my thoughts and beliefs on the topic.

In the end none of this matters, guys will shoot what they want to shoot at. It's nothing more than conversation that will never change. Soooo, who here will admit they took shots they shouldn't have when they less experienced?

In the end none of this matters, guys will shoot what they want to shoot at. It's nothing more than conversation that will never change. Soooo, who here will admit they took shots they shouldn't have when they less experienced?

I'm perfect :rolleyes: and I like lighted knocks! Which Cush is secretly pushing on Facebook!

Back