Longest shot...?

I have killed 3 deer between 41 and 45 yds with archery as far as rifle I am not sure somewhere between 350 and 400yds.

It is all live target practice...and I have seen guys who can't hit the ground if they fall on it with a rifle at 100 yards...some guys can shoot 3 inch groups at a 1000 yards...I give them props...that takes skill and time...and lasttime I checked, that is what it takes to be a good hunter!

I would like to echo what Yankee said and say a big thank you for your service John and to THWAK as well! As for the shooting...
Whitetail buck- 33 yards ( practice to 50 ) with a bow
Deer/hogs- 300 yards with a .270
Coyote- 545 yards with a .270
Random blackbird while dove hunting- 60 yards with a shotgun, most likely the Benelli rather than me

Last edited:
My longest rifle shot was a white-tail doe last year at 336 yards. My longest bow shot was 30 yards. I have shot lots of deer and coyotes between 200 and 300 yards and I consider that a reasonable range. I have shot lots of elk and the longest was 277.

I tend to think that shooting animals at 1000 yards is not only iffy, but is only target practice and not really a show of good hunting skills. A person that can kill a critter at 100 yards with a bow is a little different, as you still have to get within 100 yards. It is not that easy all the time.

Since there are so many shows promoting long-distance shooting now, it has made people think that all they have to do is buy the fancy rifle and scope and go do it. I think they are sending a bad message as far as learning to get close to the animal instead of consentrating on long shots.

I've taken a bull elk and a buck antelope at 609 and 610 yards respectively. Neither were practical to get closer to, and I had the skills for the conditions. Some think that's way too far, for others that's just getting warmed up.

I enjoy shooting, and practice a lot by most hunters standards. Expect I would even if I wasn't a hunter. When I can't get closer I have the option to come home with an animal instead of a story. It's never about looking for a long shot on big game for me, but I'm not afraid to use the ability I have either.

Have shot two elk over 500 yds one at 533 and the other at 513 with a 300 Ultra mag. But for the last 5 years have been trying to get one with a bow. Much more of a challange.

Elk was at .156th of a mile and Antelope at .213rd of a mile.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffel them with BS.
276 yrds and 375 yrds. All deer between 40 and 200.

Well since I have started a storm on this thread I guess I better give a rebuttal. First of all, I have shot game as close at 2 yards before (whitetail doe) with my bow. I felt as if she might smell by breath. I have bow hunted for approximately 10 years now and started hunting since I was 6 years old.

I will never shoot at any game at any distant that I have not prac. and feel comfortable with. I completely understand the arguement with the "hunt" vs the "kill". I have passed on alot of game just so I can watch a friend, my son or other hunter shoot at the game. I don't need the "kill" to be happy.

As with the long range shooting. I don't have any high priced gun or scopes that I shoot. I have a $150.00 scope and a $450.00 dollar rifle. I prac at these ranges to push myself in being better at what I do. I shoot my bow at 40 yards so I can be more accurate at 20 yards. I would love to shoot a deer at a thousand yards, but will not take the shot if I am not comortable with making a ethical shot.

I also agree with some of you when it comes to fellow hunters not hitting the broad side of a barn. I have observed my neighbor empty his gun at a deer and only hit its leg. The deer was standing at 66 yards. So should this neighbor get closer to a deer so its not target prac. and being "real hunting"?

I found myself in a weird area. I have been a bow hunter and stalked to within 20 yards of an animal yet sometimes I like to shoot long distants. I guess some of you think that I am not a real hunter because I like to shoot long range and should only like to hunt at close range?

With that being said, next time you see a law enforcement or military sniper maybe you should just tell them to get a little closer. ;)

I have observed my neighbor empty his gun at a deer and only hit its leg. The deer was standing at 66 yards. So should this neighbor get closer to a deer so its not target prac. and being "real hunting"?

Your neighbor should only take shots he can make, the same as anyone else.

Ethical shots shouldn't be everything from X distance in is ethical, and everything beyond that is unethical. High percentage shots are ethical, low percentage ones are otherwise. Distance is but one factor of many which include first of all the individual making the shot, the equipment they are using, and the conditions and set up for the shot.

For your neighbor, that shot at 66 yards was too far. In other situations and with favorable conditions, a few practiced individuals will take shots 10 times that far...and make them consistently.

Well, I just successfully shot a Dall Sheep at 600 yards and two days later, I made a perfect shot on a grizzly bear at 650 yards.

I shot three groups at 400, 500, and 600 yards just before I left for my hunt. My 600yd group was 1.65"............so I felt extremely confident at 600 and 650.

Well, I just successfully shot a Dall Sheep at 600 yards and two days later, I made a perfect shot on a grizzly bear at 650 yards.

I shot three groups at 400, 500, and 600 yards just before I left for my hunt. My 600yd group was 1.65"............so I felt extremely confident at 600 and 650.

Wow, you were shootng groups that are not that far off from the 600 yard world record with your hunting gun. Impressive.

Wow, you were shootng groups that are not that far off from the 600 yard world record with your hunting gun. Impressive.

Well, I wouldn't say I can do that every time, but it certainly seems the rifle is capable. And I will emphasise that my hunting rifle was custom built, not a factory rifle.
And for then non-believers, I had a witness;)

Not to prove anything here other than the fact that Brian, my buddy that built my rifle for me did a fantastic job!

Here are my 400, 500, and 600 yard groups before I headed for Alaska. The Grizzly bear I shot at 650 I shot twice, unnessarily I might add but I did anyway:) Both entrance holes were 1" apart and both were right tight on shoulder line and 1/3 of the way up from the brisket..........

Attachments

• 400 Yd Group.jpg
    400 Yd Group.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 500 Yd Group.jpg
    500 Yd Group.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 600 Yd Group.jpg
    600 Yd Group.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 204
Not to prove anything here other than the fact that Brian, my buddy that built my rifle for me did a fantastic job!

Here are my 400, 500, and 600 yard groups before I headed for Alaska. The Grizzly bear I shot at 650 I shot twice, unnessarily I might add but I did anyway:) Both entrance holes were 1" apart and both were right tight on shoulder line and 1/3 of the way up from the brisket..........
But you missed the dot!! ;) :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back